Forum Index > Trip Reports > Republic HS to Curlew Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 am 
I debated whether to post this, cuz we rode bikes. Our dogs did hike it. Just in case anybody wants to hike this trail, which you can, I'll post what I know. It is the rails to trail that goes from Republic to Canada. We started out at the trailhead kitty which cornered across from Republic's high school, or actually I think it is The school. The trailhead has no facilities. You will find a potty and garbage can about a mile or so up the trail. This is good planning as the dogs have emptied themselves just after starting. The trail is paved for the first couple of miles. It is also a shared trail. You will be passed by ATVs and dirt bikes, who are restricted to the gravel side of the pavement. We were passed but everybody was friendly. The trail also is right along the highway for about a half mile. There are little educational signs here and there about poison ivy, wild animals, and a bit of history along the trail. The pavement eventually turns to go to the fairgrounds and the trail to follow to the lake is no longer paved. In fact, it becomes quite sandy in spots. I almost dumped my bike on the way back because I was trying to decide if the concrete slabs were the former Vaagen Bros. Mill or not. I think it was there. Anyway, i had hit a sand pocket but managed to not tip over. After the pavement, we saw nobody else on the trail. We had plenty of water for people and dogs, and there is a place where a dog can get into the creek for cooling off. My Slightly Used Dog also was able to take a dip into San Poil Lake. This was a good thing as she had rolled on some small dead critter near that lake. Getting back out of the lake might be difficult for a dog that is not agile. The SUD made it out on her own. The trail goes on and becomes better, surface wise. There are bits of shade here and there where we stopped for dog cooling and butt resting on the way back. Two paved roads are crossed. There are maps available at each crossing. It's kind of nice that way. When we hit the end of Curlew Lake, we turned back. We know our dogs are good for 10 miles with the SUD good for a lot more, and it was warm. However, the SUD was mearely jogging instead of her usual gallop, the final two miles. We stopped at the Republic Brewery on the way home and had a delicious beer. I like their beer and I wish they'd open a brewery in Omak. Then, since there is no food handy at the brewery and we needed to return home, we went up the street and found Maple and Bacon flavored Kettle Chips. It was a crunchy drive over the hill, where we saw we would be entering the smoke. Bah. I plan to return with my little travel trailer to glamp and ride the whole thing without the SUD to slow things down. Here are a couple of pictures. Nothing epic. You are traveling through farm and mining country.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:03 am 
I've seen that trail (Tiger Eye trail?) expand over the years. Nice walk.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:57 am 
Nice. Is that a "rail trail"?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 pm 
Nice to have a TR from a new and different place. Sounds like fun via any travel mode.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 2:00 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Nice. Is that a "rail trail"?
Yes. I am wondering if it has a tunnel on it up north? I will find out eventually.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
mike

mike
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 4:26 pm 
link