Previous :: Next Topic
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm 
Sorry, but drones are a cancer to a silent sky. They need to be banned to recreational use on all public lands.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 5:45 am 
There are some of us that always are respectful of the people around us. I always try to fly in places where no one is around or make sure its ok with everyone that is present. Obviously you have the right to your opinion but i strongly disagree.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 5:55 am 
Bdzzle wrote:
There are some of us that always are respectful of the people around us. I always try to fly in places where no one is around or make sure its ok with everyone that is present. Obviously you have the right to your opinion but i strongly disagree.
I can appreciate your respectful behavior of those around you. You are the exception, unfortunately. Thanks, too, for not taking my strongly held belief as a personal attack. Yes, we simply disagree. There is already too much noise in wild landscapes now with speakers on packs and disrespectful behavior. So far, in my time being disturbed by drones I have yet to even locate the owner. It was a violation of my sanctity, my privacy, and my appreciation of the landscape I was trying to enjoy. In Death Valley I thought I came upon a hive of africanized bees. That sent me running and unable to locate them until I figured (and located the machine in the sky) that it was illegal drone flying I was running from. No joke. I've been stung and chased before and they sound remarkably alike initially. By the time I downclimbed the dryfall to reach the road I reached the operator putting it away. He just shrugged and blew me off as I took his license plate # and informed him they were illegal in NPS lands Keep the drones in urban settings.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
rossb

rossb
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am 
I'm no fan of them, but as Doppleganger wrote, I don't mind them as long as they are in a developed area, and not constantly buzzing around me. I haven't encountered them in the Wilderness, or even on trails that feel like Wilderness, which is a good thing. For parking lots, I don't think they are a big deal (again, as long as they aren't a constant nuisance). There are worse nuisances, of course. The other day I was on a trail and someone had a boom box. It wasn't a "Radio Raheem" type box, but it was still a lot louder than a drone. Anyway, I think as long as folks with drones know how other people feel about them, and are thoughtful (like Bdzzle) they are OK.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:13 am 
It's a shame that some use drones irresponsibly but ban recreational use on all public lands? That seems a bit much. Personally I'd love to see more footage in the mountains.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 am 
John Morrow wrote:
Sorry, but drones are a cancer to a silent sky. They need to be banned to recreational use on all public lands.
You'd have to say the same thing about cars on I-90 and other freeways, helicopters, and airplanes. Barking dogs, people yelling at lakes, blaring music from phones on hiking trails, fighter planes practicing low elevation maneuvers in the mountains, etc. In the annoyance spectrum of mountain cacophony, a few minutes of white noise from drone props is at the very low end.

If not now, when?
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 12:48 pm 
I hate to keep harping on this, but it's almost as if the "silent skies/wilderness experience" everyone keeps talking about doesn't exist in the first place, and is largely a romantic fantasy concocted by over-compensating, ennui-riddled weekend warriors who want to find meaning in something that, at a fundamental level, does not give a gray jay's fart about anyone's search for themselves. There is a road the next ridge over. There are clouds of satellites criss-crossing your silent night skies. People are reading a book in an uncomfortable chair 20K feet above you. They have Wifi. You are only granted the areas you call wilderness because those in power do not find it profitable to destroy them. People have stood in that lonely spot of yours before, and will again after you're gone. All that being said, I agree, drones are THE WORST.

pula58

pula58
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm John Morrow wrote: ¨ Sorry, but drones are a cancer to a silent sky. They need to be banned to recreational use on all public lands.
Totally agree. Will there be no escape form the incessant busyness and noise of the technology driven culture? Will there be no escape, no peace and quiet?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm 
Not if you're going to claim all public land should be closed to all recreation you don't personally approve of, no. I don't like drones any better than anyone else who isn't into them, as an RC glider pilot their existence has caused real problems for the entire RC aviation community by turning what was a low key background hobby into a very visible FAA nightmare. But then I see claims that 'public' land should be off limits to public even for uses which are non extractive and non damaging, other than to the sensibilities of the offended. And that's when I push back, because if that continues, it's only a matter of time in a system based on precedent, until they decide to ban my uses too for offending someone's sensitivities.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
that's when I push back
THIS!!! I love the planet and everything but when I read old guidebooks from the 80s and see the wealth of high altitude road access that no longer exists, I think how unfathomably sad a bunch of old timers are that they, with their now potentially more limited mobility, can't even visit the damn trailheads they used to get to, never mind the backcountry.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:16 pm 
Drones would be okay to me if they did not make the sound of a mosquito. Just like electric bikes are okay to me.

Art is an adventure.
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Bdzzle wrote:
I can appreciate your respectful behavior of those around you. You are the exception, unfortunately. Thanks, too, for not taking my strongly held belief as a personal attack. Yes, we simply disagree. There is already too much noise in wild landscapes now with speakers on packs and disrespectful behavior. So far, in my time being disturbed by drones I have yet to even locate the owner. It was a violation of my sanctity, my privacy, and my appreciation of the landscape I was trying to enjoy. In Death Valley I thought I came upon a hive of africanized bees. That sent me running and unable to locate them until I figured (and located the machine in the sky) that it was illegal drone flying I was running from. No joke. I've been stung and chased before and they sound remarkably alike initially. By the time I downclimbed the dryfall to reach the road I reached the operator putting it away. He just shrugged and blew me off as I took his license plate # and informed him they were illegal in NPS lands Keep the drones in urban settings.
I get the frustration but i do not understand the "violation of your privacy". We have no right to privacy on public land. If you were one private land yes you have the right to privacy but you don't on public land.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 am 
Bdzzle wrote:
John Morrow wrote:
Bdzzle wrote:
I get the frustration but i do not understand the "violation of your privacy". We have no right to privacy on public land. If you were one private land yes you have the right to privacy but you don't on public land.
Correct I have no right, but I have opportunity by steering clear of people whos feet are on the ground. I do not want to share a place of solitude with a drone.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 6:20 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
John Morrow is going to condemn me to the bottom layer of hell for this, but I would pay money for drone footage of some spots he has visited. There is a certain graceful beauty to good drone footage. A mini drone that sends camera signal to your phone might even be a viable weight-reasonable? information gathering tool from a utilitarian standpoint, I know I would love to have one wandering the WA/OR/ID lava beds where the terrain can quickly become confusing.
This actually gave me a good laugh! Thanks dg.