Forum Index > Trail Talk > Buck creek pass/Spider Gap trail status
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 am 
Trying to go this Monday-Thursday. Last update for wildfire closure in glacier peak wilderness was over 2 weeks ago and ranger stations are closed through the weekend. Has anyone done the loop or know if the area is still closed? Don’t want to make the 3 hour drive without knowing..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 12:00 pm 
The news paper says it is open but the FS recreation report says otherwise. But it is probably out of date. I would call them. From the Wenatchee world friday: ENTIAT — The Entiat River Valley reopens Friday to campers, hikers and recreationists. The Cougar Creek Fire forced the closure of public lands several weeks ago within the Entiat Ranger District. Construction of firelines and low fire activity has allowed for a partial reopening, the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest said in a news release. “We are excited that people will be able to use the Entiat River area for the Labor Day weekend,” said Entiat District Ranger James Simino. Reopening Friday are the Fox Creek, Lake Creek, Silver Falls and Cottonwood campgrounds. As well as, Shady Pass Road No. 5900, North Fork Entiat Trailhead and trails within the Glacier Peak Wilderness area. Chiwawa River Road and adjacent campgrounds and trails will also be open. Some areas will remain closed due to fire operations, including Tommy Creek, Mad River, Upper Mad River, Potato Creek and Mud Creek. “Public and firefighter safety remain our number one priority, so we encourage people to use caution as firefighters and fire vehicle traffic will be in the area,” Simino said. An interactive closure map is available on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest website: https://bit.ly/2vpoLOz. For more information contact the Entiat Ranger District at 784-1511.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 1:15 pm 
That certainly sounds promising. I would call them but, I have a window from Monday-Wednesday to hike it and they will be closed due to Labor Day. If anyone has any connections with the rangers in the area for a trail update, it would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏾

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 1:36 pm 
Both my daughter and son-in-law who live in Leavenworth and are plugged into the outdoorsy network up there say all indications are that it is still closed (including all the FS closure maps). If I find out anything different by tomorrow I will post it.

Distel32

Distel32
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm 
Still says closed: Closure order map of Aug 29.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:22 pm 
I went here: USFS site for the Okanogan-Wenatchee NF and found this notice, dated September 1, 2018: [Emphasis mine]
Quote:
Restrictions and Closures: The Entiat River Road, Chiwawa River Road, and most Forest Service Campgrounds along these roads are now open. All trails connecting with the Chiwawa River Road are open. The Shady Pass Road #5900 is also open. Forest visitors are encouraged to view the interactive closure map: tinyurl.com/yb5zs737.
The map wasn't much help. There's a big square with a USFS announcement about "no warranty" which would not disappear and which blocks most of the map! Sounds as though it's worth going. Of course if the fire blows up again and burns to the Chiwawa River Road (which would block your departure), all bets are off. Too bad you didn't call Friday afternoon!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:56 pm 
If I wanted to do this trip I'd be sorely confused about now. The Cougar Creek Fire Closure document (along with the map) signed and dated August 29 linked to on Inciweb lists the Buck Ck Trail from Buck Pass to the trailhead and Phelps Ck Trail from Spider Gap to the trailhead among the long list of trails closed. Closed until Oct. 31 or until rescinded. So maybe the order was rescinded?

Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 6:36 am 
The map and link still say closed, AR: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd589904.pdf

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 1:27 pm 
Inciweb update as of this morning (Sept. 2) https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/6053/47319/ Has the same text as I quoted above from the USFS website dated Sept. 1, and the 8/31 news release quoted by HitTheTrail:
Quote:
Restrictions and Closures: The Entiat River Road, Chiwawa River Road, and most Forest Service Campgrounds along these roads are now open. All trails connecting with the Chiwawa River Road are open. The Shady Pass Road #5900 is also open. Forest visitors are encouraged to view the interactive closure map: https://tinyurl.com/yb5zs737 . Phone: 509-664-9210 (8 a.m. to 8 p.m.) Email: cougarcreekfireinfo2018@gmail.com
It sounds as though the USFS made a last-minute decision Friday that didn't get updated on all websites before the weekend.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 pm 
chiwawa river road and all connected trails are open as stated above. It's just that there are some crews involved with mop up and checking for any hot spots. GO!

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 pm 
Great news! Much appreciated everybody!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 9:14 pm 
Aah just get out there!!! Aah who even cares what them websites are throwing up!!! I mean that's GeoCities!!! Bad internet sites!! Primitive. Please. Look if they saying whatever it is, who cares!!! Those late 90's primitive web forms like geocities are updated like once a year!!! Or season at least! Its a SHAME the park service is still on that type of databi!!! Microsft Access!!! Geocities?? Psssffm

Julia

Julia
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 pm 
Opened. I called Friday. smile.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 10:17 pm 
This could be a rare opportunity to avoid the crowds!

Julia

Julia
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:57 am 
We only saw one other party doing the loop over the weekend. There were a few PCT hikers between Lyman Lakes/PCT junction, but the rest of the time we saw no one on the loop! We did see two parties at the parking lot that weren't doing the loop--one was doing the Carne High Route, the other was heading to 7FJ, Maude, Fernow (I think). Warning--that road is worse than ever. hairy.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx