Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 10:49 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Has it ever been proven that hunting makes animals fearful of humans?
Good question, particularly when it's in the context of animals that are usually solo. Let's see what the effectiveness is on the Togo Pack (of Gray Wolves) after they shot and killed one of the collared males from the pack yesterday. Is that action going to stop the rest of the pack from killing livestock? Or is it necessary to take out the entire pack? (Of course, wolves (pack animals) vs. bears (usually solo) might be comparing apples to kumquats.)
Pahoehoe wrote:
Isn't the biggest threat from bears when we startle them and make them feel trapped?
That would seem to be a reasonable assumption, based on incident reports, but most of those incident reports seem (to me, anyway) rife with speculation as to "cause". In the case of the cyclist who was attacked a few years ago in the Banner State Forest (near Port Orchard), the cyclist surprising the bear does seem to be a reasonable explanation. If, however, you read through the text of incident reports of grizzly bear attacks in Yellowstone NP that resulted in human fatalities, it seems (again, to me) that quite a few were situations where visitors were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 11:07 am 
Nothing you can do if its grizz. With a large grizz you don't have a chance

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 12:10 pm 
This bear attack happened one valley over from our home in Eagle River. Brown bear are nothing to laugh at. This bear is a predator and seems to be training her young, even more scary! Most everybody I know up there carry a firearm for self defense, bear spray doesn't always work as the bear must inhale the spray. The bear could run through the bear spray cloud and be exhaling at the same time, voila', the bear is still charging. I feel for the man who was just out for a quick evening hike lose to home.

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
That is fear mongering. We see plenty of that in politics. "Nothing you can do" save bearspray which is 97-98% effective in preventing injury. Carrying and using a gun in self defense gives you a 50% chance of being injured (Steven Herrero). I'd take 98% over 50% any day. That said, if the individual was near home, it is unlikely from his previous experiences that he would carry bearspray. As someone said earlier it kind of comes with the territory of moving out into the boonies (assuming this was the boonies).

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 pm 
Bryan K wrote:
This bear attack happened one valley over from our home in Eagle River. Brown bear are nothing to laugh at. This bear is a predator and seems to be training her young, even more scary! Most everybody I know up there carry a firearm for self defense, bear spray doesn't always work as the bear must inhale the spray. The bear could run through the bear spray cloud and be exhaling at the same time, voila', the bear is still charging. I feel for the man who was just out for a quick evening hike lose to home.
I feel for the man, too. But the rest of the post is an old wives tale: Efficacy of bearspray Smith/Herrero study of incidents

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 pm 
I am now more fearful of yellow jackets than bears.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:17 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
That's not true. You say "Bad bear! Go back in the river to fish." I saw a movie about it. Didn't end well though.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 10:15 pm 
When those grizz stand up they're like 10 feet high!

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 5:35 am 
And cow moose are more dangerous!!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 am 
Fun chart -- the most dangerous thing I do is ride my bike.
Full res here

Mizzle

Mizzle
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am 
Somehow most of us Alaskans survive without this attitude. I've made it through 45 years of hiking almost daily in Alaska, 10 years of which were on Kodiak Island, and have never bothered with a gun. There is no need for this type of alarm. If you are that scared don't go, as you are not likely to be very effective or safe with a firearm if you are that freaked out.

Mizzle

Mizzle
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 am 
Nope, sorry, that is just incorrect. Most people in Alaska - especially in the civilization region where you lived, don't carry guns, that's just silly. Bear spray has been proven time and time again to be the most effective and there's no need for the bear to "inhale" the spray. Bear spray is the most reasonable defense to carry, but even so, it's really unlikely you're ever going to need it.