Forum Index > Trip Reports > Luna Peak (car to car from Ross Lake Dam TH) 9-2-18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sammy

Sammy
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 am 
My wife and I had plans for a bigger Northern Pickets traverse, but it was looking like Sunday was going to be the only day with good weather so we decided to do a quick trip to Luna instead. I wasn't really sure we could do it, but we've done Access Creek three times in the past year and knew we could get through there quickly. It was challenging for sure, but one of the most rewarding days we've spent in the mountains together. Sorry for the poor photos… most of these are video screenshots.
False Summit
False Summit
We started at 2AM and were crossing the Ross Lake Dam about 15 minutes later. Crossing the dam in the dark was spooky!
2AM
2AM
Ross Lake Dam
Ross Lake Dam
2 hours later we reached the Big Beaver trail and 3 hours later we finally left the trail to cross Big Beaver above where Access Creek flow into Big Beaver. We waded across, dried our feet and charged up access creek staying north of the creek the entire time and crossed back over around 3800’.
River Crossing
River Crossing
Good ol' Access Creek
Good ol' Access Creek
3 hours after leaving Big Beaver trail we arrived at the Access Creek headwaters where there are several nice camp sites. After a nice break, we started heading up the steep and loose gullies. One hour later we reached the top of the gullies and began the long heather traverse up to Luna Col. After many hours spent in the dark and then bushwhacking, it was so nice to finally get some views! The Southern Pickets definitely provided a nice boost of energy.
Access Creek Gullies
Access Creek Gullies
Traverse to Luna Col
Traverse to Luna Col
The traverse took one hour and then we arrived at the incredible Luna Col.
Luna Col
Luna Col
About 30 minutes later we made it to the false summit where we ate burritos and Safeway chicken strips.
Half way!
Half way!
To get to the true summit, I down-climbed then traversed ledges then straight up to the summit with one or two 4th class moves. The down-climb from the false summit to the ledges is scary in my opinion and requires one pretty big step down where you can’t really see where to put your foot. There are some loose holds so be careful! I did this last year and I don’t remember it being so loose.
Summit Register
Summit Register
Reality started to sink in about how far we still had to go, and it kind of made me sick to my stomach haha! It was now 3:30PM knew we would have to hustle to get back to the Big Beaver crossing before dark. To my surprise, we made it to the river crossing at 8PM with just enough daylight to wade without headlamps. A few minutes later we arrived at the trail and only 17 miles left.
Starting the long trip back
Starting the long trip back
Big Beaver Crossing
Big Beaver Crossing
The last 17 miles was a struggle. Many hallucinations multiple naps later, we finally arrived at the dam with the sun starting to rise.
Big Beaver Trail
Big Beaver Trail
Ross Lake Dam 26 hours later
Ross Lake Dam 26 hours later
The final mile up to the parking lot was painful, but we made it and then passed out in the truck for many hours. Had a nice breakfast a Mondo in Marblemount, then home to our dog.
Done!!!!!!!!!!
Done!!!!!!!!!!
~ 48 miles ~ 12,200’ gain ~ 26 hours

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am 
Nicely done. I like those trips when you're not sure if you can do it, but you find out you can.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 pm 
Sammy wrote:
and only 17 miles left
That's kind of funny. For most people that's a full day, not the last easy leg of a journey. Wow, that's a hell of an effort for a single push. I know some thru hikers get up into the 40 or 50 miles in a day range, but they aren't going off trail, bush wacking, and gaining 12,000' of elevation.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 pm 
Having done this peak earlier this year, I have extra respect for those that can do it in a day, or 26 hours, whatever. Hell of an effort! I'm still bummed I didn't sign the summer register when I was up there. Does that mean I have to go back? wink.gif Great photos too, I love the high five!

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 pm 
This is so metal rocker.gif

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 pm 
Crazy, but up.gif up.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm 
Sammy wrote:
The final mile up to the parking lot was painful
I hate that part, and I'm always too cheap to pay for the water taxi.....not that it an option for your ultramarathon! Your wife undoubtedly now has the unofficial feminine record for FKT for Luna Peak.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 11:20 pm 
Not to take any glory away from anyone that does this, but I think it was done last Sept by Jenni Schwegler in <24 hours.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 6:29 am 
What a trip and despite
Sammy wrote:
Sorry for the poor photos… most of these are video screenshots.
it's clear you know how to take pictures. I really enjoyed them. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 7:32 am 
Kascadia wrote:
Not to take any glory away from anyone that does this, but I think it was done last Sept by Jenni Schwegler in <24 hours.
That very well could be, but it is also an unofficial time unless following the "rules" of this new tend, Fastest Known Times. In the final analysis, who cares anyway? I had a discussion with someone just last evening who maintained "Trail runners don't even see the scenery!" I pointed out that when moving fast, a runner can see even more scenery in less time. Harvey Manning would be arguing strongly in his unique fashion, " They aren't SEEING the scenery! @#$%^&*" I've been in both camps....used to be fast, now slow, but always seeing and loving the scenery. Fast, slow, in between....everyone can enjoy the wild in their own way and at whatever speed. The important thing is not to be judgmental of different styles, while leaving no trace. Anyway, back to the OP...excellent trip report and pictures! Congratulations on a fine...and quick!...climb of the classic 'Shark Fin'!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
uww

uww
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 12:33 am 
Awesome!

Sammy

Sammy
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:36 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
Nicely done. I like those trips when you're not sure if you can do it, but you find out you can.
Thanks man! Very cool to break through self-imposed barriers.

Sammy

Sammy
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:41 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Sammy wrote:
and only 17 miles left
That's kind of funny. For most people that's a full day, not the last easy leg of a journey. Wow, that's a hell of an effort for a single push. I know some thru hikers get up into the 40 or 50 miles in a day range, but they aren't going off trail, bush wacking, and gaining 12,000' of elevation.
Haha thanks! We definitely underestimated this part a bit.

Sammy

Sammy
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 am 
awilsondc wrote:
Having done this peak earlier this year, I have extra respect for those that can do it in a day, or 26 hours, whatever. Hell of an effort! I'm still bummed I didn't sign the summer register when I was up there. Does that mean I have to go back? wink.gif Great photos too, I love the high five!
Thanks man! Same to you! Yep, it means you have to go back and get Fury also smile.gif

Sammy

Sammy
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:43 am 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
This is so metal rocker.gif
Thank you!! rocker.gif