Forum Index > Trail Talk > And The Circus Continues...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 5:16 pm 
Want your 15 minutes of fame? Do something like this https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/ofo-bikeshare-rental-left-at-top-of-mailbox-peak/281-590853227

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
uww

uww
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 5:27 pm 
The unleashed dog really completes it.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 6:51 pm 
Love it.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 pm 
This hike is thoroughly trashed thanks to the new trail and new parking lot and idiotic shuttle. Graffiti, dogcrap, the eyesore route through the boulders that is visible from I-90, garbage strewn from top to bottom. Plus the mind-bogglingly narcissistic double-placard pat-ourselves-on-the-back concrete erection at the top. The mess is entirely predictable to anyone who isn't the myopic DNR and they sycophants.

If not now, when?
Athena12345

Athena12345
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:07 pm 
Cascadeclimber, I second that emotion! The construction of the new trail was mind-bogglingly absurd. Was it important for more people to be able to say that they "did Mailbox"? Does Instagram need more selfies of 20somethings at the mailbox? Do they not realize that the new trail is NOT DIFFICULT? Does everyone understand that the reason to hike Mailbox used to be the challenge, the training, the solitude, NOT the destination? Most times I went up it, I had almost no view and took no pictures because I could just see cloud and two stalks of beargrass. Who wants a pic of the damn mailbox?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 pm 
Aparently a lot of people want a picture of the mailbox.

Athena12345

Athena12345
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:46 pm 
always good to take the time to answer a rhetorical question

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 pm 
By next weekend, someone will attempt to ride the bike down the mountain and break both femurs requiring a helicopter rescue.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:29 pm 
Next thing you know someone will want to put a phone booth up there. Oh yea, that's been done elsewhere. I vote for an espresso cart. Bonus if it works and is manned by a barista in lingerie. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 pm 
So the mailbox up there doesn't bother anyone but the bike does? hmmm.gif I think it's hilarious. I got a chuckle out of that phone booth years ago, too, but that turned out to be not so funny when it was found to be within wilderness. The bike on Mailbox will likely prompt copycats hauling other stuff up there. It all started with a mailbox... Darn mailbox anyway. I recall a statue ofJesus creating a flap on USFS lands years ago. The bike idea was probably inspired by the articles about strange places rental ebikes have been stashed. And more stuff will appear now that the bike is getting attention. Darn mailbox.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 10:14 pm 
Not everything can be pristine. At least someone will probably carry the bike out of there. That phonebooth was a heavy mofo.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 10:23 pm 
I favor the herd mentality / Instagram hikers than cluster on "internet famous" trails. Expand the MB parking lot -- maybe even pave the trail to handle the traffic. Then if you choose a place to hike that hasn't been Instagramed -- so much the better. Let me know when an Ofo shows up on top of Meadow Mountain.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
So the mailbox up there doesn't bother anyone but the bike does? hmmm.gif I think it's hilarious. I got a chuckle out of that phone booth years ago, too, but that turned out to be not so funny when it was found to be within wilderness. The bike on Mailbox will likely prompt copycats hauling other stuff up there. It all started with a mailbox... Darn mailbox anyway.
If we could confine all the silliness to Mailbox then I don't care. They can erect a summit cairn made of troll dolls for all I care. Just keep all that stuff there and leave the rest of the backcountry alone. I was up there once a long time ago. Never went back because I just didn't see the point. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Not everything can be pristine. At least someone will probably carry the bike out of there. That phonebooth was a heavy mofo.
interactive art.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 pm 
There has been all sorts of shiz up there for years, many mailboxes, ladders, fire hydrant, hose nozzles, etc. mostly from the fire center. It is still a good workout especially when other trails are snowed in. I think the new trail would make a decent bike downhill crept the turns are not banked too long for hiking down.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn