Forum Index > Trail Talk > And The Circus Continues...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:01 am 
I vote for.. actually, I challenge, I hereby issue a challenge... a geo metro. 4 strong guys can pick one up. Probably doesnt weigh that much more than a sleeper sofa.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:25 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I vote for.. actually, I challenge, I hereby issue a challenge... a geo metro. 4 strong guys can pick one up. Probably doesnt weigh that much more than a sleeper sofa.
could probably be driven up the new double wide escalator trail...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Americans are rank amateurs when it comes to putting ridiculous items on a mountain top. https://gizmodo.com/309708/mont-blanc-jacuzzi-party-at-15711-feet-was-low-on-oxygen-high-on-booze https://gizmodo.com/310754/how-to-build-a-jacuzzi-for-20-people-on-top-of-mont-blanc
In the second group picture, in the first link, I wonder why the girl with the red hat has a headlamp on? Must have been an "alpine start" with the booze that day.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 10:48 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
"Art" items like ancient routers, US West Phone booths and Ofo bikes left at the top of Mailbox don't fit into the "Leave no trace" ethic -- but I think these sort of things are distinct from "littering".
Oh yeah, for sure there's a difference in intent. I suspect the folks bringing fairly full kitchen garbage bags down from the top likely don't really care wildly about the difference though. And I for one salute them! If I return there this fall, I'll bring an empty bag up with me for sure. Here are but a few shots that have streamed by this summer from such trash haulers: this one appears to be from what I guess we'd likely call "litter" along the trail: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=975527699163717&set=gm.1879028832323455&type=3&ifg=1 And this one shows the "art" that's accumulating like detritis at an abandoned homeless camp at the top: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155196634226371&set=pcb.2365016600391340&type=3&theater&ifg=1 And here's a set of shots (if you can see the photo at this link, you should be able to flip forward/backward through the other photos this guy posted) showing the blend of "art" objects, trash, and grafiti that is apparently Mailbox summit in summertime these days https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213007784452802&set=pcb.2402076753351991&type=3&theater&ifg=1 Apologies to anyone who can't view these (I don't know if non-members can view the WH&C group posts). And to be clear, the crap on top of this peak is not an issue I have sitting anywhere on my "stewardship priority list." I just find it to be an interesting example of what happens when you mix a quirky tradition like leaving crap in the mailbox with the massive increase in hikers we've seen on a great many trails in our area including this one.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 11:31 am 
I gotta agree that "pack it in, pack it out" is the right principle and that "art" like this is just ugly trash. The hot tub people on Mt Blanc did at least pack their stuff out once the stunt was completed. Plastic bottles are just litter -- WA should adopt a 10 cent redemption value. This works well in NYC plastic bottles and aluminum cans get picked up.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 3:53 pm 
I love the musical mountaineers and hope I can be there in the mountains sometime to enjoy their beautiful music.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 4:24 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Plastic bottles are just litter -- WA should adopt a 10 cent redemption value.
It needs to be at least $1 per plastic item. Per bottle. Per plastic wrapper. Per glass bottle. Per Everything. You wouldn't see trash ever again.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:12 pm 
JimmyBob wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Plastic bottles are just litter -- WA should adopt a 10 cent redemption value.
It needs to be at least $1 per plastic item. Per bottle. Per plastic wrapper. Per glass bottle. Per Everything. You wouldn't see trash ever again.
Certainly, the 10 cent redemption value used in NYC results in legions of people scouring the city with shopping carts and giant plastic bags collecting bottles and cans. Unfortunately there are plenty of plastic bags blowing around. Interesting contrast with Japan, where there are neither public garbage cans (on most street corners in NYC) nor any litter anywhere. Japan has no janitorial staff in their schools, students clean the school. So people are imprinted at an early age to keep their environment tidy. Also interesting the way Japan handles the cost of garbage disposal. Its incorporated into the cost of trash bags, which are color coded to separate garbage and recycling. Since garbage bags are more expensive than recycling bags there is built in incentive to sort carefully. I suppose living on an island helps people understand that resources are finite.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:30 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I suppose living on an island helps people understand that resources are finite.
There was no comprehensive recycling program in existence the last time I was on Maui. Everything goes into a landfill, except for the aluminum cans homeless guys fish out of trash cans for a little money.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 pm 
Ski wrote:
There was no comprehensive recycling program in existence the last time I was on Maui. Everything goes into a landfill, except for the aluminum cans homeless guys fish out of trash cans for a little money.
Looks like Maui is doing "3 can" ( garbage, yard, recyclables ) as of August 2015 https://www.mauicounty.gov/1869/Curbside-Collection---The-3-Can-Plan You obviously need to go on vacation more frequently.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 6:02 pm 
well... like you, it's been a while since I was there. I was a little shocked that it hadn't already been instituted considering the volume of material generated by the tourist traffic. looking at their list, it excludes several items that I am able to recycle here, among them plastic bags, shredded paper, and empty aerosol cans. they also exclude glass - but "recycled glass" is really a joke - there's not much actually being "recycled".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Interesting contrast with Japan, where there are neither public garbage cans (on most street corners in NYC) nor any litter anywhere. Japan has no janitorial staff in their schools, students clean the school. So people are imprinted at an early age to keep their environment tidy. Also interesting the way Japan handles the cost of garbage disposal. Its incorporated into the cost of trash bags, which are color coded to separate garbage and recycling. Since garbage bags are more expensive than recycling bags there is built in incentive to sort carefully.
Wow! I'm dating myself a bit but when I lived in Tokyo for four years back in the late 80's that was NOT the case. All my neighbors' private yards were impeccably clean. It seemed as though they mowed their lawns with scissors. Public property absolutely not the case. We avoided public restrooms at all costs. Trash was everywhere; there were mounds of those tiny little drink cans and it seemed as though no one cared. My friends used to tell me Japan was a third world country. I climbed Mt Fuji a time or two while there and it was a garbage pile from top to bottom and that was the sacred mountain. In the little villages around the country there was not a trash problem. Apparently someone DID care and that problem has been rectified. I loved Japan BTW and those were some of the most enjoyable years of my life. I remember riding my bicycle to work almost every day and like every good Nihongin I oft times road with an open umbrella!

cartman

cartman
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 pm 
nickmtn wrote:
I don't think it matters what happens at Mailbox Peak.
The most cogent post in this entire pedantic thread. It's MAILBOX. Get over it, already.

Athena12345

Athena12345
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm 
cartman wrote:
nickmtn wrote:
I don't think it matters what happens at Mailbox Peak.
The most cogent post in this entire pedantic thread. It's MAILBOX. Get over it, already.
Wow. I had thought that the members of NW Hikers shared a certain respect for wilderness and a had an interest in protecting it. Of course there are disagreements about how to use it (hiking, running, biking, hunting, taking dogs, etc.), but I would expect that we would all agree that things being discussed here are relevant issues. Quite a few people posting on this thread are trying to discuss frustrations related to dealing with overcrowding, trash, noise, traffic, and the education/influence of the upcoming generation of hikers. If none of those issues interest you at all, why are you on this forum at all? I don't get the "get over it" mentality. I don't understand all of the people interjecting with posts that basically say, "why do you care if this place is getting TRASHED? Find somewhere else to hike." I already have, thanks, but. . .what? I guess you all have your Melania coats on and I haven't gotten one yet. I dont care do u?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 7:00 pm 
Those promoters who want to put the zip line in over in Leavenworth should maybe consider Mailbox Peak as an alternate location for their amusement park.