Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gothic Basin getting a backcountry toilet!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:01 pm 
Just call the ranger station and ask about thier toilet plan at X location. They always welcome volunteers. Chances are, they would like to install one at the locations you want one, but the time and staff is limited. A group of folks on this site volunteered to haul and install a toilet for the USFS. I can't remember where, but it was a haul. And they approached the USFS about it. I bet they would have good insight. But I don't remember what the thread title might be, for a search.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:02 pm 
I've seen privies a few places in Alpine Lakes and Glacier Peak Wilderness, so it must not be strictly forbidden. I think there should be more of them out there, as mentioned above it's better than having people sh** everywhere.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:06 pm 
Wilderness regs don't prohibit back country toilets.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mb

mb
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
So you're saying that toiletts are exempt from the very explicit "no structures" rule? They're small but still structures.... Heck, they they restrict the signage (no milage allowed! minimal signs even where people have gotten lost!) even though I don't think the regs say much about that (though policy does). But it looks like someone is looking into this on the JMT ... https://johnmuirtrailfoundation.org/project/divide-conquer/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 9:29 am 
mb wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
So you're saying that toiletts are exempt from the very explicit "no structures" rule? They're small but still structures.... Heck, they they restrict the signage (no milage allowed! minimal signs even where people have gotten lost!) even though I don't think the regs say much about that (though policy does). But it looks like someone is looking into this on the JMT ... https://johnmuirtrailfoundation.org/project/divide-conquer/
I think there is considerable difference of opinion and confusion on what the Wilderness act prohibits and allows and what is left up to land managers judgment as to "the minimum required to administer". It's best not to get too many fixed ideas about what is allowed and what isn't. E.g. The Enchantments, Mt Whitney and Camp Muir on Mt Rainier have barrel privies whose contents are helicoptered out to handle to volume of human waste generated that is far far beyond the local environments ability to decompose. Similarly the trail up from Snow Lakes in the Enchantments feature rebar fixed into slick rock sections to provide more secure footing. I think this is a better choice public safety wise than the misguided decision to remove rappel bolts from a route on Forbidden Peak in the north Cascades that contributed to two deaths when the non-bolted rappel anchor failed.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 12:52 pm 
When I was at Whitney a couple years ago there was no privy of any sort. Rangers distributed blue bags called wag bags to all, unfortunately idiots used them and left them along the trail. eck.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 1:43 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
When I was at Whitney a couple years ago there was no privy of any sort. Rangers distributed blue bags called wag bags to all, unfortunately idiots used them and left them along the trail. eck.gif
Clearly in areas where "blue bags" are required an enforcement system along these lines is needed:

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 3:11 pm 
There are no toilets on Mt Whitney beyond the trailhead. The last one was removed in 2007 I believe. Per Inyo NF: "Despite numerous renovations and retrofits, they never functioned properly and were overwhelmed with waste. Sometimes the toilets and related cesspools overflowed." flush.gif