Forum Index > Trip Reports > Huckleberry Mt. & Boulder Peak (Suiattle) (9/01-03/18)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 am 
I hiked up the Huckleberry Mountain Trail in 1990 to where it descends. Gary backpacked and camped on the summit in 1992. Neither of us had been back. Reports mentioned the brush and fallen logs. The trail seemed to disappear beyond the big meadow where it begins to descend. There was no sure water in September. Despite these possible problems Gary, John, and I chose to backpack the trail on Labor Day Weekend. We were pleasantly surprised on all counts. The trail has been recently brushed. Some brush down low and some nettles but not bad. Up high the brush is not a concern at all. We found water in a meadow on the route to the summit. We saw exactly zero people the entire weekend. We hiked 17 miles with 7100' of gain. This is not an easy hike. Some navigation is required. Little remains of the old trail from our campsite meadow to the summit. We had a great time. The views from Huckleberry and Boulder Peaks are outstanding. Did I mention the huckleberries. Big, ripe, and very plentiful. There are usually only 3 or 4 trip reports per year at WTA. It is lonesome territory. Reports at NWHikers by Abert and Matt were helpful. OpenHikingMap option on Gaia GPS app provided a map that was very accurate for the old trail. I have posted a three page trip report on my website. One page for each day. At the bottom of each page is a link to the next page. Also, all 104 photos are linked together. Here is a link to the report: Huckleberry Lookout Report & Photos Here are a few teaser photos:
Gary In Big Meadow
Gary In Big Meadow
3 Tarptents
3 Tarptents
Whitechcuk Mt.
Whitechcuk Mt.
Traversing Slope
Traversing Slope
Fall Colors
Fall Colors
Boulder & Pear Lakes
Boulder & Pear Lakes
Huckleberry From Boulder Peak
Huckleberry From Boulder Peak
Pano North From Lookout Site
Pano North From Lookout Site

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 am 
Jim, you are outstanding in your field. Haven’t looked at your extended report/photos yet, but will do so later today.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am 
It was definitely a fun trip. Here are a few of my photos. (Full set of 83 photos in my flickr album.)
Jim and Gary having lunch.
Jim and Gary having lunch.
Huckleberry Mtn is aptly named. The berries were big, ripe, and plentiful.
Huckleberry Mtn is aptly named. The berries were big, ripe, and plentiful.
Grass-of-Parnassus
Grass-of-Parnassus
Tadpole
Tadpole
Gary & Jim Filling Water Bags
Gary & Jim Filling Water Bags
Mount Baker Zoom
Mount Baker Zoom
Complete with old, rusty, metal plate found along the trail.
Complete with old, rusty, metal plate found along the trail.
Smoke Plume East of Dome Peak
Smoke Plume East of Dome Peak
Gary on Boulder Peak
Gary on Boulder Peak
Glacier Peak in view.
Glacier Peak in view.
Boulder Lake, Pear Lake, and My Shadow
Boulder Lake, Pear Lake, and My Shadow
Mt Buckindy
Mt Buckindy
Ascending Huckleberry Mtn... Again
Ascending Huckleberry Mtn... Again
Boulder Peak from Huckleberry Mtn
Boulder Peak from Huckleberry Mtn
Glacier Peak in the Evening Light
Glacier Peak in the Evening Light
Resting in Camp
Resting in Camp
Gary & Jim Enjoying the Cloudy View
Gary & Jim Enjoying the Cloudy View
There used to be a phone line to a fire lookout on the summit of Huckleberry Mtn.
There used to be a phone line to a fire lookout on the summit of Huckleberry Mtn.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 am 
Thanks for your very detailed trip report, Jim, it will come in handy if we are able to get up there to enjoy those beautiful fall colors and delicious blueberries! up.gif

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 11:16 am 
Thanks for the report! I haven't been on that trail since the mid 90s. It was always lonesome and beautiful. My wife and hiked it several years in a row. I remember it being kind of a beast. Thanks for putting it back on my list.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 12:15 pm 
Very beatiful. I snowshoed to Hucklberry Lookout site back in 2016, but I had no idea about Boulder Peak. What is the route to Boulder Peak looks like?

JimK

JimK
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 12:29 pm 
We found it much easier to drop into the basin on the right then climb back up to the saddle. From there Boulder is a walk up.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 7:18 pm 
Nice pic of Buckindy and the insulatior, Jim! Glad to know the trail is in good condition! It had been obliterated here and there so many times over the years. There are always nettles near the trail head. Ow! I can still identify the section of trail I worked on the day I met Putz in Boots. 20 years ago! Looks like a sublime trip you guys had. Thanks for the report. Surely it will inspire !

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 12:26 am 
Great stuff. I tried to give you give you some company on that trail last weekend, hiking up for an overnight with my two kids, but my youngest didn't have it in the tank that day. Thanks for sharing the pics for some vicarious photo ooh-aahing.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 am 
Nice report and pics, fellas. It must be quiet up at Boulder, Pear and beyond these days with the Tenas Ck Rd out. I guess it will never be fixed unless some logging occurs up that way?

JimK

JimK
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:01 am 
FiresideChats, there is always another time. Would have been nice to see you folks.

JimK

JimK
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:05 am 
RichP, perhaps Boulder will be open sooner rather than later: Suiattle Valley Road Conditions Earlier the site said construction would begin on 8-27. Now it says: "Repair work in progress Closed road to all traffic including foot traffic until work is completed. Impassable at mile 4 due to washout and slide 3.5 miles before Boulder Lake trailhead."

RichP

RichP
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:11 am 
That's good news, Jim.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 8:39 am 
JimK wrote:
there is always another time.
Yes, we will try Huckleberry again. We switched gears and made it in to Monte Cristo and a day hike up to Glacier Basin, so we still had a blast in a more manageable location.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 10:12 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Not sure how funding and prioritizing for repairs, works with the different ranger districts, but, and for example, the Blanca Lake road to trailhead would be much, much easier to restore. Simple compared to Tenas Creek
The 63 Road repair is in the works; that washout qualified for funds from ERFO, Emergency Repair for Forest Owned Roads, funded by a trust within FHA. I was thinking it would be done by summer, 2018, but apparently that's not the case. It's interesting about Tenas Creek because a bridge was rebuilt years ago so they could get equipment back there to remove giant culverts to close the road. Any of you dorks know what the Access & Travel Management Plan says for that watershed? i'LL LOOK IT up later unless omeone else does. So back to Jim's report. Click on his link for the full monty!