Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help! Anyone heading down chiwawa river road need ride!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 pm 
This is a long shot but, long story short, attempted buck creek loop through spider gap. Made it to image lake by night 2 where a ranger forced me to turn around because trail was closed near flower dome due to apparently new fires. As I was coming through upper Lyman, another ranger told me Phelps meadows was also closed and I had to go through Holden 10 miles down trail. My truck of course is at trinity so a major problem getting back with no wallet (in my vehicle) Once we got to Holden we took a boat to Chelan, now a bus to Leavenworth but having a difflicult time getting back towards trinity down chiwawa river road. If anyone has any suggestions or is hiking there today, it’s my dog my friend and I

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm 
Leavenworth Shuttle might be able to help you.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 1:58 pm 
I hope that by now you have made it back to your truck and are now safely home! I feel a bit responsible due to having urged you to go in your previous thread, but I live much too far from the area to be of much help.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 9:31 pm 
I really hope you got a ride! We almost ended up in the same boat as you. Started up the Buck Cr way on Wednesday and got to the pass around 430 or 5. We were setting up camp and relaxing for an hour when we looked up and there was a huge cloud of smoke that wasn't there before. Ash started falling on us and we bailed to a lower campsite. Ranger station hadn't heard about it when we called Thursday afternoon and sounded very concerned. A trip from Deception Cr to Jade Lake made up for it though.
Flower Dome fire
Flower Dome fire

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 12:24 am 
Yeah, luckily made it back. No ones fault except the forest services. No one working apparently had a straight answer on what trails were open and closed so it brought on the mess I dealt with.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 2:15 pm 
Noheaperture wrote:
No ones fault except the forest services
And you, for deciding to head out when there was wildfire in the area. Some of us tried to warn you on your earlier thread. You should have understood you weren't going to Disneyland, where everything operates according to plan. Things can always go south during a time like this. It's challenging for an agency to balance more and more priorities with decreasing budgets. Public safety is a high priority. The FS will send its best and fastest to clear folks out of an area when there's a wildfire closure. But, yeah, there was a communication problem here. It's still not clear to me what trails were and weren't closed and when. I am sympathetic to your plight. I ran into a very similar situation as you on the Spider Gap - Buck Loop a few years ago. I describe it on the Vesper Pk Missing Hiker thread near the end of page 35(!!). The logistics worked out better for me than you, but that's just how it goes. In any case, now you have a great story to tell. Not just another ho hum Spider Gap Buck Pass Loop story.