Forum Index > Trip Reports > Looping the Northern Olympics - 9/3-6/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 10:55 am 
This past week I revisited a trip from 9 years earlier. A trip that I had often thought about, but for some reason or another had not repeated. I started at Obstruction Point, walked along Lillian Ridge, through the Grand Valley and over Grand Pass, dropped down to the Cameron and up to the upper basin the first day. Then over Cameron and Lost passes and to Bear Camp on the Dosewallips on the second day, by far the shortest day. Then over Graywolf pass and down to Three Forks on day 3. And closed it out by ascending to Deer Park and back to Obstruction Point. Overall it was about 42 miles and was a very enjoyable trip. The link below has more words and some pictures. https://aclayjar.net/2018/09/northern-olympics-loop/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm 
That's a great loop. I did the same three days earlier, with side trips up to 1000 Acre Meadow and Cedar Lake. Camped at Deer Park on Monday night since there was space and it seemed more appealing than Roaring Winds. The WIC rangers had said there would be no water at Deer Park due to the dry weather, so I had hauled a bunch up from 3 Forks. I can confirm the spring below loop B in the campground and the other near the Ranger station are indeed still flowing, for anyone else heading up that way. Also some water in the drainage around 3500 ft on the hike up from 3 Forks.

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 1:59 pm 
I had planned on the side trip to Cedar Lake, but was concerned about the weather, so skipped that. I also carried 3 liters of water up from Three Forks. I did see that the little stream was flowing part way up, but did not bother to check the spring at the Rangers Station. I did not know about the other spring below loop B, that's good to know about, thanks. I had never seen the creek at Bear Camp dry before, so that made me pretty leary of depending on seasonal water sources. And I paid the price for that. It was still good though. agree.gif