Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shroud and Jumar, 9/7
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 12:34 pm 
Shroud (Peak 6243) and Jumar (Peak 5958+) This trip turned out to be a lot longer than anticipated. I had done Terrace about 15years ago in in like 7hrs from the same trhd, and I figured perhaps a few more hours for these. Well it took almost 12hrs for me today, hmmm. I got an early start from Tonga Ridge Trhd. I had thought about driving over to the cutoff since it reduces the hiking miles but.... Anyway, I made my way along the pleasant trail past Sawyer Mt and over to the start of the Fisher Lk cutoff, now signed. I then made my way up to the flats around 5000ft. Instead of continuing up the trail, I went right and contoured around to the little lakelet, fairly straight forward off trail. I now just needed to hike up to the ridge above. The terrain/brush led me over toward 5307. After cresting the ridge, easy ridge walking led me over 5625 and down to the saddle below Jumar. I now had two options, try and ascend Jumar’s west ridge or drop 200ft and traverse below cliffs to Mary Lk. I chose the latter. It had taken me about 3.5hrs to get to the lake. The lake has some nice clear waters that allow you to see it’s shallow depths, other than that nothing special.
Shroud & Jumar from trail
Shroud & Jumar from trail
Fisher from Ridge
Fisher from Ridge
on traverse to mary
on traverse to mary
Mary
Mary
Shroud
Shroud
From the lake, I went up to Jumar’s treed summit. After a few pics, I headed for Shroud. At the saddle between Shroud and Jumar, I traversed over and went up to the 5800 saddle east of Shroud. I then made my way to the nice open summit of Shroud. Shroud has some nice views.
Jumar Views toward Glacier
Jumar Views toward Glacier
Jumar summit
Jumar summit
Near Jumar
Near Jumar
Cool to see passing fighter today
Cool to see passing fighter today
Mary
Mary
toward Jumar, Glacier pk
toward Jumar, Glacier pk
Rainier Lenticulars
Rainier Lenticulars
Daniel
Daniel
Terrace
Terrace
Daniel Hinman from Shroud
Daniel Hinman from Shroud
After descended Shroud, I headed down to the only snow patch left on the north side at 5200ft. It was now warm, and I needed water. I had been debating if I should head back the way I came or head down to Ptarmigan Lakes. The lakes looked close so won out. I went straight down to the upper lake and around its west shore to the outlet, a bit tedious. I then headed down to the lower lake picking up the boot path enroute. I had a nice rest at the lower lake then headed up the trail to Fisher.
Daniel
Daniel
lakes
lakes
Terrace
Terrace
While hiking up to Fisher, I heard buzzing but didn’t see anything about 5-10 seconds later there was a terribly sharp pain in my hand. Bummer, I had a hornet stuck to me. Anyway, I pulled out a snow filled water bottle and carried that in my hand to reduce the pain. By the time I had reached Fisher Lake, the forecasted clouds had moved in. I welcomed the cooler weather for the long hike out. I followed the Fisher Lk trail out. Thinking back to my Terrace trip, I think I must have bypassed the main trail, because I don’t remember all that elevation gain to Fisher Lk. Anyway, I plodded my way out now under clouds and even a few sprinkles.
now overcast
now overcast
Long but great trip. Notes: Blueberries were delicious.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 pm 
I won't even tell you how long it took us to get to these two peaks (and we timed out just below Shroud). 12 hours would have been reasonable though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message