Forum Index > Trail Talk > Australian firefighters shot at while battling US wildfire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:17 pm 
They were in a closed area and possibly not following hunter safety protocol. They were also shooting marmots which I'm not sure was legal from a hunting perspective. Beyond that I'm not sure what they would be charged with unless there is proof they were actually shooting at the firefighters intentionally. In the lessons learned I find it curious they do not acknowledge the possibility they put the firefighters in danger by directing them to take off their yellow shirts and hats.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm 
Tom wrote:
They were also shooting marmots which I'm not sure was legal from a hunting perspective.
I can assure you it's not legal. You can shoot yellow-bellied marmots ( what we have around orchards, scrubland, etc, lower elevation ) but you CAN NOT legally hunt Olympic or Hoary marmots, they are protected. I looked at the map, at that elevation it's completely improbable those were yellow-bellied. They had to be Hoary. Some squirrels are legal to hunt, and some aren't, it can be hard to tell them apart. With marmots, there's no excuse for shooting the wrong species.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:39 pm 
If you are shooting bears, marmots and squirrels you are pretty much just out to kill anything that moves. I'm surprised they didn't include grouse in the menu, plenty of them out there to shoot at too.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:47 pm 
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/2-hunters-cited-after-firing-rifles-toward-wildland-firefighters-near-white-pass/ "The incident gained an international spotlight this week after a Melbourne, Australia-based website published an account that portrayed the shooting as a deliberate attempt to target firefighters and erroneously reported that the FBI had sought charges against the hunters."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 pm 
And in spite of the facts showing that "Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center" is not part of the U.S. Forest Service, Mr. Loussikian continues to insist that the document cited above was from USFS:
Kylar Loussikian - Sydney Morning Herald - email 09/11/18 13:51 PDT wrote:
I literally spoke to the Forest Service about it. On the phone. To the spokeswoman.
Thus far, the facts do not support Mr. Loussikian's description of the events. The article has been revised no fewer than three times over the last 24 hours: the erroneous report of the FBI having been removed; and the mentions of the Malheur occupation and Cliven Bundy's kerfuffle with the BLM in Nevada, neither of which were remotely relevant to the subject. I am doing my best to try to look at the article objectively, but in light of the facts presented and conflicting statements from other local news sources, I find it difficult to dismiss the possibility that part of Mr. Loussikian's intent was to sensationalize the story and (worse) make an attempt (for reasons which defy explanation) to drive a wedge between two old allies: the United States and Australia. Reader comments on the dozens of websites that have re-published this story show without question that the article fuels the "anti Yank" sentiment MtnGoat mentioned above. Moreover, this is certainly not the first shooting incident we've seen at the beginning of bear season, as the two articles I cited just above show. Again, proving intent, as RumiDude notes, is the crux of this. Without question, the two shooters had no business in a closed area, and if they were the ones shooting at marmots they should be held to account for that in itself, and it's quite possible (and from the description of the events highly probable) that they were acting in a reckless and negligent manner. That said, I'm more inclined to believe this is a case of stupidity and obliviousness more than a deliberate attempt to shoot firefighters.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
mb

mb
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 10:48 pm 
sorry, the report is clearly from the FS (or at least FS staff) even if it's posted on an interagency website. why makes you think he didn't talk to the USFS? and newspapers sell now days by stirring controversy. always did actually, but now given that other advertising (the big store circular and the classifieds) are gone, clickbait is what they've got. who knows if the shooters were just shooting anything which moved, or targeting people explicitly; i suspect only they know and won't say. it's often easier for LE to not charge someone for something which can't be proven and takes lots of paperwork. see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gell-Mann_amnesia_effect

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 pm 
I have some knowledge of Australian papers and web sites. Most Aussie papers are tabloids on the English model, lots of sports sensationalism and busty half neked women on an iside page and lots of right wing commentary. Exceptions are present, in Melbourne there is The Age a relatively unbiased prestige paper from Fairfax. The Australian is a high class national paper put out surprisingly by Murdock. Aussie papers like US papers are an endangered species due to the Web I.e. no income from ads.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 11:06 pm 
According to the Seattle Times article...
Quote:
U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Traci Weaver said Monday that there was no evidence of malicious intent by the hunters, but that they were cited for being in an area that had been closed due to fire.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 pm 
mb wrote:
sorry, the report is clearly from the FS (or at least FS staff) even if it's posted on an interagency website. why makes you think he didn't talk to the USFS?
NO, the document was not from the U.S. Forest Service, it was published by an independent organization (Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center). At least one of the authors is a retired USFS staff member. I am not sure exactly whether or in what capacity the other author may be employed by or associated with USFS. see post on previous page He may well have spoken to someone at USFS. The document was not published by USFS.see post on previous page

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 pm 
mb wrote:
and newspapers sell now days by stirring controversy. always did actually, but now given that other advertising (the big store circular and the classifieds) are gone, clickbait is what they've got.
William Randolph Hearst, in 1897 wrote:
You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war.
... and not calling them out on it is being complicit in the deception. I got straight A's from Mrs. Grant in journalism in 8th and 9th grade. She told us that journalists have an ethical responsibility. You can go right ahead and disagree all you want, but Mrs. Grant is still right.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 11:32 pm 
I'm guessing Mr. Loussikian contacted Traci Weaver who confirmed it was FS related personel that submitted the document. Why not contact her? wink.gif I'd also venture to guess she also set him straight in regards to "no evidence of malicious intent". What do you want to bet?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 pm 
I have no clue who he talked with. He didn't mention any names, or the locations of where he called. His responses to me via email are all quoted here verbatim. I called the Naches Ranger Station a couple times this morning but could not get a human to answer the telephone. The gentleman I spoke with earlier today on the phone at Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center was the only one of the four staffers shown on their page who answered the phone. Like I said, I'm trying to be objective about Loussikian's article, but the errata and inclusion of unrelated subjects causes me to question not only the veracity of the article, but motives as well. Hunters shooting people is pretty serious stuff. I don't think we should accept anything less than 100% accuracy in the reporting of incidents like this.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 am 
So what we have is the Aussie version of fake news.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:38 am 
I think there is some misunderstanding about the role of the Wildland Fire lessons learned Center (LLC). While it isn’t a govt agency, it is THE repository for documentation on safety incidents. It may even be funded partly or wholly by the Federal Agencies. I don’t think there is any question that the write up was submitted by either the Incident Management team on the Miriam fire, or the Regional Risk committee. Having spent several stints as a member of Incident Teams, I know how they work. Here is the direction(policy) from the National Interagency Fire Center and the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (which are gov’t. agencies) with regard to documenting safety issues: “Reports will be distributed via the Safety Alert system (if 24-Hour reports are not available in a timely manner, 72-Hour reports are acceptable). The NWCG Safety Bulletins will include reference to the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center database. Typically, a Safety Bulletin will read as follows: “Attached is the 24-Hour Report for the __________ incident/investigation/review. Please see that it receives wide distribution within your agency.” When available, other investigation documents, specifically the 72 Hour Report and the Final Report/Review, will be posted on the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center (LLC) database for incident reports and lessons learned analyses: “ From the NIFC website: https://www.nifc.gov/safetyAlerts/index.html Whether or not actions of the fire managers on the ground that day were an over reaction, or appropriate, is another discussion.

Wastral

Wastral
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 am 
RumiDude wrote:
From the sketchy accounts, it appears the hunters in this case were careless to the point of negligent. Shooting up slope without a backstop is wrong and dangerous.
By definition, a SLOPE is the BEST backstop. Gravity..... Yes, shocking truth, gravity still functions. At least it is at my house... Not sure about Rumis' household. Betcha firefighters were well over a half mile away on the top of a slope/ridge and the hunters were in the bottom of a swale shooting into a slope. The dead marmots would indicate this as they like flower areas which are in swales/valley's for the most part. Massive over reaction would be my guess. Like others have said, if they heard the whizzing of bullets instead of just gunshots... ENTIRELY DIFFERENT story. We do not have said details. So.... Of course the dead marmots are not in their favor... Being in a "closed area" is obscenely easy to do without even knowing. Especially in eastern Washington. Half the time, only major trails are actually signed and taped off and then since they are hunters easy to wander from one basin to another. Been there several times myself. Didn't even know there was an active fire on the other side of a ridge or the area I was in(completely unaffected by fire obviously) was part of the "off limits zone". It was only after I finished my hike that I found out I was in an off limit zone. Once by a Ranger. Thankfully I smart enough to tell him I was out for a week and I wasn't given a citation. As far as I am concerned, if people want to die, let them.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless