Forum Index > Trail Talk > Australian firefighters shot at while battling US wildfire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 4:39 pm 
Wastral wrote:
stop lying for obvious reasons
Bite me. Oh sorry I forgot to use upper case like you ... BITE ME!!!
Wastral wrote:
I don't know about you, but a 600ft high hill is near the worlds best backstop for a bullet when shooting.
I have looked at the map. Additionally I know how to read a map. They were not shooting into the hillside, they were shooting up the hillside in the direction of the firefighters. That is not a backstop. They were on the PCT at approximately 6320' elevation. To the east the slope drops to about 5800' elevation. But they were not shooting down the slope but west towards the firefighters at approximately 6800' elevation. That is up the slope. They were on the slope and shooting up the slope. That makes the sky their backstop. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 5:47 pm 
Well, that is the claim of the firefighters that they shot up slope at them on the top of the hill. Doesn't make it so. For what it's worth there was another article yesterday where the Sheriff's Office indicated the firefighters overreacted. I don't know how much they actually investigated or compared the hunters story to that of the firefighters. https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2018/09/12/firefighters-not-shot-hunters/

Wastral

Wastral
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:33 pm 
Ah, Rumi, now that you looked at the map your story now changes? up.gif up.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif Whatever salve you wish to place on your conscience I suppose.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 pm 
Tom wrote:
"... the claim of the firefighters that they shot up slope at them on the top of the hill. Doesn't make it so."
^ This is it in a nutshell. The sound of gunfire doesn't necessarily mean that somebody is shooting at you, regardless of how unnerving it can be. Sorry, but I really think this one was over-played by Kylar Loussikian in the first article - much ado about nothing. The shooters, most certainly, are/were idiots, but that is certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 pm 
Ski wrote:
Sorry, but I really think this one was over-played by Kylar Loussikian in the first article - much ado about nothing.
Exactly! As I stated in my second post in this thread when I googled the particulars all I got was other articles which were just reprints of the original byline article of Kylar Loussikian. Anyway I posted the story and I am willing to take the heat for that. I should have searched further. Rumi PS: Besides, I don't know what I was thinking. I mean everyone knows wildland firefighters are scaredy cats. If they weren't so scared of their own shadows they would be mighty marmot hunters instead of taking an easy safe job fighting fires in wildlands. No wonder they were so confused about what they saw through their binoculars. Hell they prolly didn't see anything, just made it all up. Gawd knows those two mighty marmot hunters would never fudge the truth about their actions to the sheriff and state troopers. [/sarcasm]

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 pm 
Fudge the truth about what? You think they intentionally shot at the firefighters?

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 am 
Tom wrote:
You think they intentionally shot at the firefighters?
I have no knowledge of this incident, so can only speculate. I would guess not "at". But "close" would not surprise me. On two occasions I've had people with guns aim close to me and pull the trigger. Whether it was to get a rise out of me, to give them a good chuckle, or out of pure stupidity, I don't know. I won't go so far as to call them "hunters". But then again, I wouldn't necessarily call a couple of dumb-smacks pinking marmots hunters either. As I said earlier on in this thread, I grew up in a family that hunted a bit, in my earlier years I hunted a bit, and I know and am friends with many hunters. All of whom seem well versed in, and follow, the rules and ethics of gun safety.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 am 
I'm seeing parallels to the USFS employee who treed herself when she saw a pack of wolves. The news articles are about what was going through the person's head, not about what was actually happening. How about these headlines: USFS Employee Sees Wolf Pack, Climbs Tree Firefighters Hear Shots on Ridge redface.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am 
Sept. 2018 Harper's pair of articles Harper's Sept. 2018 "As the World Burns" Quotes a US firefighter saying that federal firefighters were harassed by locals in Idaho (Wyoming?) to the point of having to move their base camp.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:44 pm 
For grins I was messing around with GISSurfer for a perspective on the terrain. Here's a satellite image. The crosshairs on the map (no pun intended) are where the hunters allegedly set up their bipod and scoped in the direction of he firefighters at the top of hogback (straight up the gully). https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=46.601924,-121.403024&zoom=15&&basemap=ESRI_aerial_clarity My guess is the hunters were shooting at something in the tuft of green that sticks out about 1/3 of the way up the gully. Topo lines start to get progressively steeper half way up the gully but I'm too lazy to work out the angles to opine if that could be a safe backstop or not. Seems the most innocent explanation. I'm skeptical they actually shot intentionally at the firefighters to intimidate them. These guys may have been dumb but I don't think they were that stupid.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 4:37 pm 
There were, and probably still are places that one does not venture into whether on fire or not, because of the threat of violence. That was pot farms in CA before it was legalized. I do not know if such places still exist or if all is now legal and hunky dory. A lot of pot has burned up in wildfires.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 pm 
There are places around here that smart people just don't go - Cowiche Mill Road is one of them. The Sherrif's department abandoned patrolling there years ago so I hear, but that might just be a rural legend