Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rim-to-Rim Hike Training
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bobo1
Bobo

Bobo1
Bobo
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 3:14 pm 
I am preparing a 2-day rim-to-rim hike in Grand Canyon in fall 2019. This means that I will need to hike down 5,740 ft , 13.7 miles on the first day and on the second day I will need to hike up 4,340 ft and 9.5 miles in distance. I am looking for trails in the Pacific northwest that has similar one way elevation and distance that I can use for training. I do realize that it is a difficult match but if I can find one that has 2/3 the distance and elevation will be very helpful to my training. Also, it will be perfect if the beginning and end point of the trail can be reached by a road. I am thinking whether Mt. Rainier is a good place to look at because it is circled by Highways 706, 410 and 123 and vary with different elevations. Any info will be appreciated. Bobo1

bb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 3:19 pm 
Two hikes that come to mind are Sourdough Mt by Diablo Lake and Mt David by Lake Wenatchee - both a mile elevation gain.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 3:21 pm 
I can't bring a perfect option to mind, but do keep in mind that an out and back trail will work for your purposes supposing you can go about 5k feet up in one roughly ten mile push. Just think of a single high point as your goal and think about your training as inverted. You don't need to hike down and back up to have trained - just hike up, then back down the same way. As long as the "top" is greater than your "shorter" day, that should help. Although it's never going to be as hot around here as it is down there and that is going to MASSIVELY impact your performance.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 3:38 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
Although it's never going to be as hot around here as it is down there and that is going to MASSIVELY impact your performance.
Depending on when you do this, you need to be prepared for all kinds of weather. I did R2R2R in May 2005 and it was 108F at Phantom Ranch.The rangers were not letting anybody past Phantom Ranch in either direction after 10 PM, because of the heat. It was an absolute oven and a real struggle. In May 2016 I did R2R and it was snowing on both rims morning/evening and cold rain during the day. It was maybe 65F at Phantom Ranch at 11 AM. I recommend doing R2R in one day, fast and light. If you are in shape to do this in two days carrying a backpack, you should be in shape to do this in one day carrying a small daypack w/camelback, and IMO it will be much more enjoyable. There is plenty of water available along the trail so carrying a 3L camelback is sufficient if the weather is hot. I'm sure you're aware of the FB R2R2R page - lots of good info there. I'll second Sourdough Mtn. as a good training venue. I used Oregon's Mt. Defiance (4800' gain in five miles, in the Columbia Gorge), but it's a longer drive for you than SM.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 pm 
If you're in the Seattle area, there are many great trails off I-90 within 45 minutes of the city that can be used year-round for training. Tiger Mountain is one of the closer options. Cable Line and Section Line are both steep and get you around 2000' of elevation gain, but there are many other options as well, and you can loop different trails together to get as much mileage and gain as you want. Farther east you've got Mt. Si, old trail and new trail. The old trail is steep, gaining about 3300' in 3 miles, while the new trail is gentler, about 3200' in 4 miles. There are trails connecting them in the middle as well so loop options are a possibility here. Mt. Teneriffe is right next to Mt. Si and if you take the old Kamikaze trail you end up with about 4000' of gain in 4 miles to the summit, though the final section from the falls to the summit is almost a scramble at times and much steeper than these numbers imply. The new Teneriffe trail is logging road grade and gets you the 4000' over a much longer distance. Then of course there's Mailbox Peak. The old trail is a great workout, about 4000' in 2.5 miles, as long as you don't mind crowds and the 'circus' that has been discussed on this site. The new trail is much gentler but still gets you up there eventually. Of course there are tons of other hikes that more interesting than these ones but the ones I've mentioned are usually accessible year-round and fairly close by. Happy training!

Athena12345

Athena12345
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Sourdough Mt by Diablo Lake
Sourdough mountain is a great training trail (and absolutely beautiful), but if you're asking this question, I think it might actually be harder than you want to start off with. If you're beginning a training program, it may be a bit of a knee-buster on the way DOWN. It is definitely steeper than the Grand Canyon trail - steeper grade in several places. It is also MUCH cooler. The two trails do not have much in common! I agree with the other posters that the heat will be your biggest issue. I did rim-to-rim, but on the same side, in one day (started on South Kaibab trail at 4:30 a.m., went down to Phantom Ranch, and back up Bright Angel trail). I think it was something like 17 miles, which would have been a 5 or 6 hour day in Washington, but due to the 106-degree heat, it took me 12 hours. I would recommend Mt. Dickerman on the Mountain Loop Highway. It's about a mile shorter with about a thousand feet less in elevation gain than Sourdough, but if you hike it quickly with a pack on, it's a good training hike (and beautiful). It's also a lot closer to Seattle than Sourdough. I also think the trail difficulty level is closer to the Grand Canyon trails. Granite Mountain off I-90 and Church Mountin off Mt Baker Hwy would be two others to consider.