Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shoes for training?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fandanad
Mr

Fandanad
Mr
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 8:53 am 
Does anyone have suggestions for shoes? High top hiking boots? Or is that too bulky? Or just low top hiking shoes or even trail running shoes??

Want to know more about fitness? Check out this site
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 9:36 am 
Probably belongs in the gear forum. But my Obo low tops have survived two seasons. I always use Brooks trail runners for running and those are really durable as well.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 9:41 am 
Definitely belongs in the "Gear" forum. Not sure I can offer any good advice here. I hike in Tevas and Chuck Taylor All-Stars sometimes. The question is pretty wide open - you're going to get responses ranging from moccasins to Asolo 520's and everything in between. I'd say go with what works best for you, and try to keep it light. Welcome to the site! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 9:50 am 
Training for what? Many people hike and train for climbing in "trail runners" Amoung PCT "Thru hikers" the debate is between "running" shoes vs heavier "trail running" shoes. I reccomend going to Super Jock and Jill at Greenlake. Getting shoes that fit is a big factor and the have a wide range of brands and models. The folks there are more knowledgeable than most sales clerks.

Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 10:07 am 
Brooks Cascadia are my preferred backpacking shoe.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 11:25 am 
Without getting into a specific shoe recommendation there are a few attributes that are important. 1. Heal drop- The most popular trail shoes have a much lower heal drop (10 mm or less). This results in a flatter more natural foot placement; and discourages a gait with a hard heal strike. This tends to reduce plantar fasciitis in my experience. 2. Shoe Length- 1/2 to 1 sizes too long is recommended to avoid impacting your toes on long downhills; because keeping your toenails is a good thing 3. Tread- Trail runners tend have a more knobby tread than standard running shoes. In reality there are very limited areas of normal hiking trails where it will matter. The early season snow crossing, or muddy uphill trails would favor a bit more traction. (Micro-spikes evens the playing field). Shoe width is a personal fit issue. There are some brands that run very narrow (Nike) others that run wide (Brooks, Hoka, Altra ). New Balance offers multiple widths. With lighter weight backpacking (sub 12 pound base weights) on established trails there is no need to wear heavier shoes.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 pm 
If you're training for a core pproach, gonna want to get into something with done good gription in the soles

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 am 
Fandanad wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for shoes? High top hiking boots? Or is that too bulky? Or just low top hiking shoes or even trail running shoes??
For shoes I go with Asics trail runners with a rock plate sole. For boots I like my Asolo 520's. Sometimes I might even hike in Crocks or Teva's....for me it depends upon the trail and weather conditions.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.