Forum Index > Trail Talk > Climbers hoisted off Mt. Stuart
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 2:51 pm 
Three hoisted off Mount Stuart, none injured by Pete O'Cain Sept. 9, 2018, 5:50 p.m. LEAVENWORTH — Three climbers were hoisted by helicopter early Sunday morning from Mount Stuart after they rappelled to an area from which they couldn’t advance. The group began the hike about 6 a.m. Saturday from the Longs Pass, Ingalls Creek area at the base of Stuart and called for help about 11 p.m. at the 8,800-foot level, said Sgt. Kent Sisson with Chelan County Emergency Management. The climbers hadn’t reached the summit when they decided to turn around due to waning daylight, Sisson said. The climbers attempted to rappel down a route on the northwest side of the mountain when they reached a spot where they could go no further. Sisson added that it’s not typical for climbers to rappel down Stuart — most hike out. “It was pretty obvious right away they were pretty inexperienced,” Sisson said. Stranded without overnight gear, the climbers contacted authorities and huddled under an emergency blanket for warmth. A helicopter from U.S. Naval Base Whidbey Island plucked the climbers off the mountain via hoist about 2:45 a.m., Sisson said. None of the climbers were injured during the climb.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am 
I guess they realized that pulling plastic at the gym is a lot different than climbing in the alpine.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm 
It's hard not to wonder if FOMO and "social proof" kindled by social media had an influence on this event Social media is changing our relationship to risk, with deadly consequences. In any case it's good that it ended without any harm to the hikers/climbers or to the rescuers.

Silvatici

Silvatici
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
I guess they realized that pulling plastic at the gym is a lot different than climbing in the alpine.
At last, we agree on something. Gyms should post signs: "Alpine climbing is hard and dangerous and that Beckey guy is a sandbagger!" I believe this is the second time this year a party has been rescued off of Stuart for no reason other than their own poor decision making and lack of experience and ability.

“The beauty of things was born before eyes and sufficient to itself; the heartbreaking beauty Will remain when there is no heart to break for it.”
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 am 
A similar rescue occurred just a couple years ago on the northeast ridge of Black Peak (which is easy) where one of the rescued definitely had a quote along the lines of "It wasn't the same as the gym."

Silvatici

Silvatici
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am 
This was an even more egregious example since those climbers were part of an official club organized trip. Individual idiocy is one thing, institutional idiocy is another.

“The beauty of things was born before eyes and sufficient to itself; the heartbreaking beauty Will remain when there is no heart to break for it.”
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 am 
Silvatici wrote:
for no reason other than their own poor decision making and lack of experience and ability.
I'll bet 90% of SAR operations are in that category.

Silvatici

Silvatici
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Silvatici wrote:
for no reason other than their own poor decision making and lack of experience and ability.
I'll bet 90% of SAR operations are in that category.
True to an extent, but most SAR operations also involve some kind of injury that resulted from those factors. In these cases, there were no injuries, they called for help simply because they were scared and unsure. The bar should be higher for those choosing to venture into technical alpine terrain since doing so requires some basic level of knowledge that is higher than that possessed by the average Si conga line participant. These types of rescues also expose rescuers to greater risk than carting someone with a sprained ankle down a tourist trail. If I called SAR everytime I was scared and unsure on an alpine climb I would have never made it up anything. Climbers should do everything they can to extricate themselves from whatever situation they got themselves into. In these cases, that didn't happen, and calling for SAR just because you don't like the ride and want to get off is dangerous and selfish. While in general, I support the policy of not charging for rescues so as not to dissuade future parties from calling for help before it's too late, this trend is concerning and a more nuanced look at the exact circumstances that led to a rescue being required might become necessary if incidents like this continue.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 11:16 am 
Silvatici wrote:
"... but most SAR operations also involve some kind of injury that resulted from those factors..."
.... and this is documented.... where? There have been SAR operations done for all kinds of reasons. I recall one several years back up on the Bogachiel where two young men (who were not familiar with the area) were no more than a stone's throw off the trail when they were found. No injuries were involved - they were just cold and wet. And hopelessly lost - right off the trail. As outdoor recreation - hiking and climbing - becomes more popular, there are going to be more SAR operations. Those who are new in the game are going to go through a learning curve, just as we all have done.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 11:26 am 
From the altitude and direction it sounds like they were on the West Ridge in the same spot as the previous group was at when they got stuck.

Silvatici

Silvatici
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 am 
Ski wrote:
Silvatici wrote:
"... but most SAR operations also involve some kind of injury that resulted from those factors..."
.... and this is documented.... where?
There's fairly extensive documentation around SAR operations available online. I'm guessing you're already aware. I'm not inclined to do the research at this particular moment, though I think you're correct to challenge my assumption. It would be interesting to see the actual data around this. However, I disagree with your assertion that an acceptable learning curve would ever involve a rescue. Normalizing this is dangerous and irresponsible.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am 
FWIW, Stuart West Ridge is very complex and routefinding is difficult for even the most experienced alpinist. I wonder why they rapped? W Ridge is a committing route, i.e., top out and descend via the standard SE route. And the party had better be in tip top shape because it's a long athletic route. I cannot imagine backing down the W Ridge route. (Yeah, I read about Steph's party descending the W Ridge, but her party was an outlier and her account underscores the dubiousness of descending the W Ridge)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:12 pm 
Silvatici wrote:
Normalizing this is dangerous and irresponsible.
You're reading something into my statement above that isn't actually there. What, in your mind, would be an "acceptable learning curve"? Leaving lost people out in the woods to suffer from hypothermia? Yeah... that'll teach 'em! People do dumb stuff all the time, like get stuck on the "haystack" up at Mt. Si like the guy with the "Pebbles" ponytail last month. Nothing new.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 pm 
The problem is that if an entity (National Park, Sheriff's Office - as in this case) declined to rescue someone because they were uninjured, if they subsequently were injured or died attempting to self-extricate, that would be a huge liability issue. And, yes, there is substantial risk. An NVG mission involving hoisting is about as risky as it gets for air operations. Add in the altitude for bonus added risk.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm 
Ski wrote:
. . . the guy with the "Pebbles" ponytail last month. Nothing new.
WTF? That's the latest freshest hipster thing evah