Forum Index > Trail Talk > First Time At Mt. Rainier
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 pm 
If experienced, getting a permit for any of the cross country zones is the way to go.

toujours gai toujours gai
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 pm 
Ski wrote:
archersparadox, as noted above, you may be an expert and already summited Mt. Everest, but if you go up there and become the subject of an SAR mission, bear in mind you will also be the target of ridicule and derision here in yet another SAR bitch thread! :
Oh yea!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:01 pm 
Ski wrote:
archersparadox, as noted above, you may be an expert and already summited Mt. Everest, but if you go up there and become the subject of an SAR mission, bear in mind you will also be the target of ridicule and derision here in yet another SAR bitch thread! :
Oh yea! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 7:44 am 
nordique wrote:
could you fiddle that photo so that the person is vertical?
Obsess much? hockeygrin.gif I'm going to push back a bit on the overcrowding of Mt. Rainier. Yeah, you drive up on a summer Saturday to Sunrise and you see what seems like thousands. But on my recent Wonderland trip, we had two off-trail days when we did not see a single soul. One was in Seattle Park and the other was up Coleman Arm. If you are more than an easy day's hike from a trailhead, or off trail, there is plenty of solitude in MRNP. If you want to spend an entire week and never see a soul, set up camp in Mystic Park (maybe a bit hyperbolic, but it sure seemed quiet down there when we passed by, and there is no view of the Mountain). What solitude there is has a lot to do with the tight regulation of backcountry camping.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 10:39 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
and the other was up Coleman Arm
Where is this?

I desire medium danger williswall.com
altersego

altersego
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 am 
nordique wrote:
could you fiddle that photo so that the person is vertical?
Scott Kranz photoshops the hell out of photos. A few years ago he posted a shot of—get this—a tent perched on the rim of Crater Lake under a starry sky. We heckled him on Instagram and he removed it. Another image had been altered so that a person jumping into an alpine lake (sponsored by a brewery) had a huge splash before the person hit the water.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am 
I just saw Randyhiker's post copied and pasted in the busiest travel forum in the US (the Trip Advisor forum). Maybe no one considers this a secret location, or is concerned about potential damage from folks that have no idea about hiking ethics and just want the Instagram photo in an off trail location, but it's something to think about when posting the exact coordinates of a spot that a lot of people might want to know about.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 1:38 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I just saw Randyhiker's post copied and pasted in the busiest travel forum in the US (the Trip Advisor forum). Maybe no one considers this a secret location, or is concerned about potential damage from folks that have no idea about hiking ethics and just want the Instagram photo in an off trail location, but it's something to think about when posting the exact coordinates of a spot that a lot of people might want to know about.
That spot has been popular for decades -- sometimes people even haul kegs of beer up there for additional fun http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=929.0 https://www.turns-all-year.com/goldhome3/hp141/index.html https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/its-a-splash-skiers-party-at-slush-cup/

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 4:01 pm 
meh...its a nice reflection if you can handle the millennials scampering around

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm 
I think it's one thing to be popular among local backcountry skiers, and quite another to be a well known spot, nationally, for the Instagram crowd.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 pm 
It is right along the winter route to Pinnacle and Castle, I have camped near there several times. It is in all the old ski books. RMI used to teach their clients self arrest when it still was the Pinnacle Glacier.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 10:42 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I think it's one thing to be popular among local backcountry skiers, and quite another to be a well known spot, nationally, for the Instagram crowd.
IDK, Summer parking lots at Paradise and Reflection lakes jam packed ever since I started visiting in the 1960s with attendant throngs of people. Compared to the conditions of the meadows around Paradise in the 1970s -- things are far far better now. Tremendous efforts have been made in re-planting the "dust bowls" that existed back then. The NPS now uses "meadow rovers" -- volunteers that hike the popular trails and educate the public about the importance of staying on established trails, packing out their trash, etc. You can get involved https://www.nps.gov/mora/getinvolved/meadow-rovers.htm

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:22 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Compared to the conditions of the meadows around Paradise in the 1970s -- things are far far better now.
Same in the Olympic Park. High Divide is crawling with people these days, but the meadows looks so much better now than they did in 1990 when I first did that loop. The camps were huge barren dirt patches with spider trails in every direction. Stunning how self absorbed and ignorant those folks were back then, even w/o instagram vent.gif . I mean when one stomped a meadow in 1968 the damage is the same as if one stomped it today - dead flowers are dead flowers. And it is obvious to all who see it, just some don't/didn't give a crap - they got theirs and that is all that mattered.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.