Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking Option 6-8 miles RT with < 500 Feet of Gain?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am 
From a parent who has been doing it since my son was 4 (he is 7 now). We do a backpack in and a packless (for them) day hike on Day 2 Totally agree with wastral: Kids can do a lot. We do an annual trip with my son and another kid and his dad from my neighborhood. Here are some we did: (1) Mirror Lake - age 4 (2) Headlight basin - Day 1, Ingalls Lake - Day 2 (no pack), out Day 3 (5 years) (3) Spider Meadow - Day 1, Spider Gap (Day2) and glissade down - kids had a super blast (6) (4) Meander Meadows - Day 1, PCT to White Pass and back - Day 2. (this year) Just don't load them up too much. My son carried a 10 pound pack this year, which slowed us down a bit, and he was tired at the end of the day. Also find that candy bribes work as do rests every 1/2 hour. If you take a friend along, the range increases by a lot!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am 
Lots of great suggestions so far. Not a lake, but head up the Suiattle River to any of the camps along the way. Boulder River Trail (a bit more elevation that desired). Will second the following PCT suggestions: Mirror, Janus, Dewey, Sheep, any of the small lakes north of White Pass. Add to the Janus suggestion, the left turn to Valhalla instead of the right turn to Janus. A little critter on my shoulder says that the Stirrup Lake Trail might be partially to fully brushed out to the PCT in a few weeks time (key access to the PCT in that area).

altersego

altersego
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm 
I think Hoh River has a campsite that meets this requirement. And there's one really large site along the trail to Marmot Pass just a few miles in. Same on the way up to Navaho Pass. You can also camp at Ancient Lakes, which probably doesn't have any elevation gain, but could be a good bet to avoid rain.

kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm 
Yeah, I know that I'm randomizing the thread a bit, BUT are there good backpacks for a 2-nighter in the <= 9 miles one way and <= 2K feet with about the same limit for day 2? Was looking for hikes with my son for next year

uww

uww
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 pm 
There are a few Olympic Beach hikes that could fit the bill too.

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 pm 
Look at the area North of White Pass like was previously mentioned. Tons of lakes and quite a few are off the beaten path with big cut throats in them. Fishing is good this time of year as well.

Have I offended you today?
Wastral

Wastral
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 2:46 am 
kvpair wrote:
Yeah, I know that I'm randomizing the thread a bit, BUT are there good backpacks for a 2-nighter in the <= 9 miles one way and <= 2K feet with about the same limit for day 2?
Several hikes out of Monte Cristo fit this billing. Silver lake/Twin Lakes/Gothic Basin/Glacier Basin etc. But this is on West side, so marine air. Rampart lakes from Rachel lake fits your billing about right(TONS OF PEOPLE) because there are lots of people like you, but MOST stop at Rachel lake. Bring a bear canister for mice pro. Park Lakes from top end of Kacheese lake. Or if you want to add a half day, add the lake side trail from Kachesse campground. PCT is above Park Lakes so vast majority of people doing the PCT section will go to Spectacle Lake. Spectacle Lake also fits your criteria fairly well. The entire area out of Chatter Creek Station on Icicle Creek(3K) but you are dodging hordes of people as well. Lake Ivanhoe From Middle Fork Snoqualamie, but 3k as well. No toilet, but awesome camp spot and scenery. Buck Creek Pass is 3K and 10 miles one way, but you should really go up Liberty cap and high pass as a day trip which adds a day(3 total) and can have a steep headwall of snow before reaching high pass depending on the time of year you go. Deer are horrendously tame up there and annoy you. Tons of Thimbleberries in August and possible bear sighting. Sorry not much around that climbs less than 3000ft in 10 miles around here and honestly most of my actual suggestions would be on/off trail and more like 4000ft vert. PS: Buy 100 Hikes in alpine lake wilderness and glacier peak wilderness by the Springs' and Mr. Manning. No other books come close to matching them. Yea, some information is a little out of date, but honestly it doesn't matter. Gives distance/elevation gain. Best money you will ever spend. If you can spend $30 for a stupid forest service pass, then you can spend $30 for their two excellent books. They also cover the rest of Washington Cascades.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
mike

mike
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 pm 
Twin sisters lakes Cutthroat Lake Watson Lakes. these kids did it under their own power so a 10 yr old ought to be able to make it smile.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:50 pm 
Wastral wrote:
<= 2K feet with about the same limit for day 2?
Several hikes out of Monte Cristo fit this billing. Silver lake/Twin Lakes/Gothic Basin/Glacier Basin etc.[/quote] Gothic is more than 2K of gain and is really rough/rugged in places. Glacier Basin has the one really steep section over slabby rocks (slippery when wet) with the rope dangling down. Twin Lakes has a number of narrow sections with steep drop offs and is occasionally more of a scramble than a hike. OP didn't mention the age of the kid but I'd be hesitant about recommending any of those as a kid friendly backpack, at least without knowing more about previous experience and comfort level. Silver Lake would probably be fine though.

kvpair

kvpair
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Gothic is more than 2K of gain and is really rough/rugged in places. Glacier Basin has the one really steep section over slabby rocks (slippery when wet) with the rope dangling down.
Agree. Gothic may be a little too hard right now for his buddy. My son has done Ramparts the back way and can do about 9 miles and 2500 feet without a pack but I don't know if I'd trust him on very narrow trails. He will be 8 next year and is pretty athletic due to his playing a lot of soccer..... EDIT: I was also thinking of Warm Lake and Conrad Glacier Basin. Thoughts?

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 pm 
Hey everyone - thanks for the beta. We settled on Hyas Lake for two reasons: 1) On the hope it would be dry. 2) Bruce would get a good look at two of the peaks I climbed back when I was till doing that; Daniel and Cathedral Rock We hiked into camp in the pouring rain. I don’t hear a single complaint. Super proud of him and looking forward to adding some more challenging terrain for him and longer distances next year. A few pics for you.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

carlb328

carlb328
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 11:16 am 
Baker lake or river would probably be just what you're looking for. Quite flat from what I've read.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 8:52 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
A little critter on my shoulder says that the Stirrup Lake Trail might be partially to fully brushed out to the PCT in a few weeks time (key access to the PCT in that area).
...and it's done. For those on FB, go to the "North 350 Blades" page - the local PCTA crew, and check out the pic of the Stirrup Lk Trail junction with the PCT.