Forum Index > Food & Grub > DIY sports drink that works for me
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ahughjass

ahughjass
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am 
For many years now I have been using my own Sports-drink to power my hikes, trail-runs, and backpacking. I use Country time Lemonade and Mortons Lite Salt (mostly potassium with a small amount of sodium). Surprisingly I have not tired of this stuff, and it provides 1/2 the calories per hour I need. I have backpacked a 50k a day with 6000 feet of gain, and this, what I call my "IV drip", of sports-drink powers me all day. This powered my 3.5 day trek around the Wonderland Trail too. I go up South Sister as my local (Bend, OR) conditioning hike (11miles RT / about 5000' of gain). I have done this hike without my sports-drink and I get leg cramps about 1/2 mile before the rim-summit (happened more than once). When I do this with my sports-drink, I have all the energy I need supplemented with another 100cal / hour of food, and I never get leg cramps. Recipe: follow normal Country Time proportions + 1/4th tsp of Mortons Lite Salt per liter. Again, this works well for me and is a fraction of the cost of "sports drinks". I buy my Country Time in the massive size at Costco (only sold during summer). Also, since I've been using this I no longer need to take S-Caps to supplement my "salts". I do take a small vile of a combination of Morton's Lite Salt + regular table salt to match the potassium + sodium proportions of S-Caps, if I need more salt on a hot day. YMMV

I go to the gym religiously.... Christmas and Easter I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm 
Good to know about the Morton "light salt" to get your potassium. Another good option is to bring some salty nuts -- a good source of sodium and fats and trace minerals.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message