Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help arranging transportation Seattle > Snoqualmie and Stevens > Seattle?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 am 
Want to do Snoqualmie > Stevens PCT last week of Sept. Fri. 9/21 thru Sat. 9/29 (or Sun. 9/30) Any tips on how to arrange transportation? Can one get a bus to Snoqualmie? or a bus pickup at Stevens? I've heard about some online subculture of PCTers who often arrange rides online?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 pm 
Does it matter whether you do Section J northbound vs southbound? I'm pretty sure there's no bus service accessible at Snoqualmie Pass, although the last I heard there IS bus service at Stevens Pass. There's an article about this here. Another option is to put in a request on the Partners page and see if between the two (or more) or you, you could drop off a car at Snoqualmie (for your return transportation) and then catch the bus (NW Trailways, I think) to Stevens.

Wastral

Wastral
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 5:00 pm 
Stick your thumb out. Hitching into Issaquah and Monroe on either end is quite easy. Or you could just walk to North Bend and catch the Bus alleviating the need to hitch on one end. There are several routes out of North bend you could walk to get to the PCT. This is especially true in the fall time when people are more aware of northbound PCT hikers. NO, PCT'rs do not arrange rides. At least I know of no one who does or any group who does. Just hitch. Most places along the PCT there are people who will stop or who are WAITING at major junctions willing to take you anywhere you want to go. I suggest waiting for a group though. This time of year that is easy to obtain. PS. you cannot officially park for more than 24 hours at a P&R SO, UBER is your friend.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
lemArts

lemArts
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am 
We went southbound last summer and used an unofficial Uber last year to get from Seattle to Stevens Pass. We had parked my friend's car at Snoqualmie Pass the night before. A few weeks before my trip I was in an Uber for an entirely different reason and just asked the guy "would you be willing to drive my friend and I up there?" He gave me his phone number and we agreed on $150 off the books. To me it was a great deal to not have to ask a friend of family member to wake up at 4 AM and drive us up there.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm 
Hire an unemployed friend or high school or college kid or someone that's in to side hustles. There are always people, especially young people, looking to make a few bucks. My husband did exactly this when he did Snoqualmie>Stevens last year--he paid his side hustle friend. Offer less than an Uber would cost but do think about gas+their time. For pickup you'd need to have a PLB where you could either have them track you or you text them, since it's hard to hire someone for pick up if you don't have a specific time. Unless of course you just give your latest estimate then wait at Stevens Pass.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 am 
I've had some luck taking the bus over Stevens and before I get on asking the driver if he or she can pull over real quick and drop me off. Not sure that works anymore.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm 
I took Northwestern Trailways (operates through Amtrak as well) from Seattle to Wenatchee this summer to begin a hike. We stopped at Stevens Pass to pick a hiker up. You can also get picked up at Stevens Pass. Note that they don't stop long so you would need to be there, waiting in advance (we were there for maybe 5 mins to load the hiker and her pack). They picked up the hiker near a sign right along the highway. Here's a link to the ticketing page.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:57 am 
Here is a DIY idea. Drive to Snoqualmie Pass with a MTB. Hide it in the bushes somewhere around the trailhead. Go back home and take the Trailways bus to Stevens, hike the PCT to Snoqualmie, ride the MTB down hwy-906 to Hyak, through the tunnel, down the Palouse-Cascades trail to Rattlesnake, the Snoqualmie Valley trail to downtown North Bend and then hop on a Metro bus to get back to Puget Sound City. I estimate about 3 hours riding from Snoqualmie pass to North Bend without too much pedalling (coasting down the 1-2% grade) based on a recent ride on those rail trails.

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 11:42 am 
Thanks for these useful ideas! I did get a coupla offers on the Partners forum. wamtngal, the Northwest Trailways suggestion is helpful -- they could pick us up Sat. at 1:40 PM. This is another way a satellite GPS messager is handy. I can preprogram my SPOT custom message to read, "expect to arrive Stevens Pass tomorrow" instead of "routine delay, no assistance needed, just late as usual." Our pickup can follow us on the webpage, and if we're not going to meet the deadline, we can warn them. Last July on the PCT north of Harts Pass, we met a PCTer who'd winged it, flying into SeaTac on a whim (got tired of the heat/humidity on the Appalacian Trail) and I believe he arranged a ride on some app, getting a lift from Sea-Tac straight to Harts Pass(!!) If he gave us the app, I've mispalced it. We had to wait 2 minutes to hitch a ride from Cutthroat Pass TH on SR20 to Mazama. To hitch from Mazama to Hart's Pass, it's best to be there first thing in the morning; we got there after noon, but the local trail angel (PK, whom we'd met on the previous trip) drove us all the way for gas money.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:17 pm 
I offered a ride.🤣

leibert

leibert
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:21 pm 
HI, I am also looking to get a ride to Snoqualmie pass from Seattle directionaround the same time as you. If you hear of a ride offer let me know. Two other options are: 1) split the costs of a taxi/shuttle from from North Bend, (the closest taxi service I found was from Issaquah) where there public transit transit ends 2) hitch-hike together (or separately but using a buddy system) from North Bend to the pass. sincerely, Leigh Herbert

leibert

leibert
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:24 pm 
Hi, ]ust to clarify, I am looking for a ride to Snoqualmie Pass from Seattle direction, to hike North Bound to Stevens Pass. My dates are not firm yet, but hopfeully I will be there on the 21 or 22 of September. sincerely, Leigh Herbert

wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:14 pm 
Slight change. Fri, 9/21 (not an early start, probly 9:00 AM). LV Seattle for Snoqualmie. Fri. 9/28 meet ride (maybe bus) at Stevens. I believe NW Trailways stops there 1:40 PM; need reservation else they may not be stopping. Sat. 9/29 We still could conceivably stretch the trip this far, leavng more time for sidetrips and such. A Sat. ride miught be easier to arrange, but that's not the plan now. We have 2 hikers and 1 medium dog, so a solo driver might have room for a 3rd. Will keep you posted.

leibert

leibert
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:46 pm 
HI Wolfie, NO problem, I wasn't able to get ready in time so thanks for the response and I hope you have a great trip!

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm 
^^^^ That reminds me of another option for any one-way hike--start at different ends and swap car keys in the middle.