Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Vesper Peak Stewardship
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am 
Please keep this topic within the boundaries of stewardship. Feel free to link alternative discussions below in this wiki post but do NOT spam this topic with such discussion or invite requests. Such posts will be deleted. Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Washington/comments/9erxip/sam_sayers_still_missing_in_washington/ 2nd Reddit Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/9hc0em/missing_hiker_on_vesper_peak_chaos_in_the_cascades/ Teton Gravity: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/321860 Facebook: Official page and alternative facebook group no longer public New Facebook study group created by Steve Monchak on 10/8 The Truth of the Sam Sayers Case https://www.facebook.com/groups/698480987181194/ (no longer public on 11/8/18, reappeared as a closed group 12/7/18)

Wiki summmary last edited by Windstorm on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Julia

Julia
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:46 pm 
Just sharing info re: 14 day camping/31 days regulations on the Vesper site. When inquiring if that site was regulated as 14/31, the reply from Mt Baker/Snoqualmie Nat'l Forest was: Hello, It does apply, however they have been granted a 7 day extension. A total of 3 weeks.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 6:16 pm 
Recent photo posts to the FSS Fbook website seem to show inexplicable outdoor daytime fires (inexplicable b/c the have a stove), so there's a lot of unnecessary wood consumption going on. Something I'll be mentioning in my correspondence with the land managers.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Recent photo posts to the FSS Fbook website seem to show inexplicable outdoor daytime fires (inexplicable b/c the have a stove), so there's a lot of unnecessary wood consumption going on. Something I'll be mentioning in my correspondence with the land managers.
Yes this is what I saw on the 19th. It was about 65, partly sunny and they had a fire when I got there at one and it was still going when I left around four. It was a little chilly in the wind but it still seemed very unnecessary and wasteful to me.

philfort

philfort
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 11:15 am 
I was up there yesterday (very pleasant weather and temps) and they had a fire going the whole time (~1pm - 4:30pm).

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 12:21 pm 
philfort wrote:
they had a fire going the whole time
Do they have "sherpas" hauling in food and firewood?

philfort

philfort
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 12:26 pm 
Well they certainly had sherpas hauling in food, but I didn't see any firewood on their packs. They had a helicopter parked up there, maybe they brought in some firewood in that. Though when I passed by the tent they were chopping what looked like gathered wood.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 2:16 pm 
So they haven't found Sam but they've burned up a lot of wood. That's exactly what I expected. Are their groupies on facebook still hailing them as heroes even though they've accomplished nothing in the 2 weeks they've been camped up there?

thxII38

thxII38
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 5:54 pm 
philfort wrote:
They had a helicopter parked up there
Sam's Mom said in a video post that they were flying in another woman and dog to assist in searching. I thought she misspoke because, I mean, why not just hike in? Does anybody know, if they have an exit plan? A plan to take out all there stuff, trash, and other waste. I really don't want to see that stuff up there next summer.

I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am 
I hope they dug a hole for a latrine. That many people up there for weeks = lots of waste.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Are their groupies on facebook still hailing them as heroes even though they've accomplished nothing in the 2 weeks they've been camped up there?
There's a picture of Bud Carr "debriefing" the search team on Facebook, and one of Kevin's Dad shaking the hand of a chopper pilot (or crew member). So it all looks real official and serious. Bud posted a video of him looking under some rocks too. The strategy of mass tweeting at news organizations is continuing, despite it's lack of efficacy to this point. I suppose the idea is that if the story gets into the national news, crowds of people will show up to search, and she will be found. It doesn't make much sense, unless that inspires someone to search below the north face where she probably is, and where nobody is searching. The Facebook tweeters are getting some increasingly odd instructions. I hope the person posting this is doing ok. LISTEN TO HER S.O.S! she is defenseless .. be her "SHIELD" listen to her whisper... she needs you TO RALLY round.. LISTEN TO HER S.O.S. she waits for HER ARMY to find her in the middle of the darkness.. RESCUE HER! .. we will never stop marching.. FIND HER! find her and rescue HER!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is down to you! TWEET. HAVE YOU TWEETED TODAY! could you be as strong as her.. could you sacrifice as much as she has to SURVIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAM IS WAITING! NOW GO AND FIND OUR SAM SAYERS! YOU are HER ARMY.. raise your shields and GET THE MESSAGE OUT! SEND SAM and her family the POWER OF OUR POSITIVE THOUGHT & ENERGY... THIS WEEK we WANT her found! ... RALLY ROUND ARMY ALL OF YOU... FAILURE TO TWEET is NOT an OPTION!

mountainmist

mountainmist
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 1:12 pm 
They are all living in their own kind of reality...and it's totally unreal..

The mountains are calling and I must go....
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 1:24 pm 
Wow rbuzby, that is definitely sounding more cult like. And I fail to see the connection between tweeting and actually taking action, or doing anything that is likely to lead to her being found. Not to mention every rational person knows there is no way she's survived up there for 2 months.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm 
Quote:
LISTEN TO HER S.O.S! she is defenseless .. be her "SHIELD" listen to her whisper...
^ this is alternate reality stuff. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm 
Theres been a couple posts recently on their facebook page about them pulling out of their high camp in the next few days because of weather? Can't imaging that big tent of theirs likes even these little early season baby storms.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 pm 
Yeah its about to get untense up there!!!!!

mountain girl
Wilderness24

mountain girl
Wilderness24
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm 
pula58 wrote:
This is about recovering someone and bringing closure.
They are supposed to pull out on Thursday. Apparently KD is being more realistic?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein