Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Vesper Peak Stewardship
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am 
Please keep this topic within the boundaries of stewardship. Feel free to link alternative discussions below in this wiki post but do NOT spam this topic with such discussion or invite requests. Such posts will be deleted. Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Washington/comments/9erxip/sam_sayers_still_missing_in_washington/ 2nd Reddit Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/9hc0em/missing_hiker_on_vesper_peak_chaos_in_the_cascades/ Teton Gravity: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/321860 Facebook: Official page and alternative facebook group no longer public New Facebook study group created by Steve Monchak on 10/8 The Truth of the Sam Sayers Case https://www.facebook.com/groups/698480987181194/ (no longer public on 11/8/18, reappeared as a closed group 12/7/18)

Wiki summmary last edited by Windstorm on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
mountain girl
Wilderness24

mountain girl
Wilderness24
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 3:58 pm 
EJ wrote:
The wood is scrounged dead wood, according to either one of the live videos by the mom or one of the recent status posts on the FSS facebook page. I personally feel that even though it's "dead wood", it is very much a part of the ecosystem!
YES^^^^ This! mad.gif

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mountain girl
Wilderness24

mountain girl
Wilderness24
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 4:00 pm 
Theresa wrote:
I’m not on Facebook, but I read on websleuths that they told people to stop leaving food at the trail head. So that’s positive. I’m really pissed about the plastic bags left all over the mountain with food and batteries. The idiocy of these people is tough to comprehend.
I just do not get the bag thing. Besides being basically just LITTER, it makes NO sense. And who is picking it up when the search is complete? mad.gif

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein
pula58

pula58
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 4:34 pm 
Leaving the bags is worse than senseless, it could quite possibly "teach" bears where they can get food. That increases the odds of bad human/bear interactions, Could lead to human deaths, and then the bear being hunted and killed. So, they put others at risk by leaving those bags strewn-about.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm 
The HeMen will be bailing soon once North Cascade weather starts moving in. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm 
Ya these little precursor storms seem to be it for them. Which does show some intelligence on their part(or maybe just the brutal reality that even little storms are too much). The high terrain of the north cascades are about to get seriously unforgiving. Not to mention burying her remains under endless snow.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:15 pm 
weather guy on the radio earlier said snow level dropping down to about 5000 feet tonight wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 pm 
Some snow fell on Stevens Pass today.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm 
This sad tale will soon enter a new phase. Hopefully, it will bring some healing to man, woman, and nature.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 6:50 am 
<non-stewardship discussion removed by moderator>

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:47 am 
Reminder! Folks, please note the wiki summary at the top of each page in this thread:
Quote:
Please keep this topic within the boundaries of stewardship. Feel free to link alternative discussions below in this wiki post but do NOT spam this topic with such discussion or invite requests.
It's really important to keep this thread open so that commenters who've been up there recently can report on any damages noted after the private SAR ops pull out, any remediation undertaken, reports to/from the land mgt agencies, etc. It's probably acceptable to report on changes to the SAR setup. I just don't want to see this discussion shut down by our esteemed moderator b/c we can't stay on topic. I know it's hard not to comment on the circus up there (see what I mean?) winksmile.gif Please reference the links in the wiki for other discussion. Thanks everyone!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Damian

Damian
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 10:18 am 
The thread will be kept open subject to the normal expectations for mutual respect. For other posters, searchers, etc.

fyodorova

fyodorova
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 am 
The word on the FB page is that the search will shift focus to lower elevations, i.e. out of the fragile alpine areas.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 12:52 pm 
fyodorova wrote:
The word on the FB page is that the search will shift focus to lower elevations, i.e. out of the fragile alpine areas.
After they do a submersible drone search of Lake Elan. They have also declared that they have "cleared" the upper mountain, so they are done searching there. A helicopter is supposed to be taking the camp stuff back down tomorrow.

mountain girl
Wilderness24

mountain girl
Wilderness24
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
They have also declared that they have "cleared" the upper mountain, so they are done searching there. A helicopter is supposed to be taking the camp stuff back down tomorrow.
Will they be establishing a camp in the lower areas (that are more populated with bears)? Will the FS be checking on them to see if they "cleared" their camp up at Elan? Will they be checking in to see if there new camp has bear canisters? Do they need a burn permit at lower elevations?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 1:28 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
They have also declared that they have "cleared" the upper mountain, so they are done searching there.
They "have cleared" the area? Well, great news for them! Too bad the poor, under-equipped, unskilled SAR folks didn't have access to their expertise earlier! huh.gif shakehead.gif What a goat rope circus they have run!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology