Forum Index > Stewardship > Vesper Peak Stewardship
Previous :: Next Topic  
wiki summary

This wiki post can be edited by any member

wiki summary

This wiki post can be edited by any member
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Please keep this topic within the boundaries of stewardship. Feel free to link alternative discussions below in this wiki post but do NOT spam this topic with such discussion or invite requests.  Such posts will be deleted.

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Washington/comments/9erxip/sam_sayers_still_missing_in_washington/
2nd Reddit Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/9hc0em/missing_hiker_on_vesper_peak_chaos_in_the_cascades/
Teton Gravity:  https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/321860
Facebook:  Official page and alternative facebook group no longer public

New Facebook study group created by Steve Monchak on 10/8  The Truth of the Sam Sayers Case
https://www.facebook.com/groups/698480987181194/ (no longer public on 11/8/18, reappeared as a closed group 12/7/18)

Wiki summmary last edited by Windstorm on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:00 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby

Attention Surplus
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 am 
pula58 wrote:
Are the signs along the trail, or at trailhead, or....please describe. Thanks

Along the Mountain Loop Highway, next to signs for turnoffs to trailheads, and at trailheads.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schroder

Schroder

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 am 
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm 
philfort wrote:
Their "advanced base camp" plans were approved by the forest service, and they got an extension on the 14-day continuous maximum stay.

Thanks Philfort.

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 pm 
I went up there today.  Kind of a last minute decision.  I didn't look real hard, but honestly didn't see much in the way of signs that a group had been camping up there for an extended time.  They did better than I assumed, I have to eat my words.
snowmonkey

snowmonkey

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 am 
Thatís ok to eat your words in this case- Iím glad it appeared better than anticipated!
thxII38

thxII38

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 6:31 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I went up there today.  Kind of a last minute decision.  I didn't look real hard, but honestly didn't see much in the way of signs that a group had been camping up there for an extended time.  They did better than I assumed, I have to eat my words.

Just a guess, but I think with all the "chatter" about the concern for the environment, from all the skeptical comments, that may have influenced them to do the best job they could to "prove" that their intention was always to LNT.

Regardless, it is good to read that the area appears to be in good shape.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
AuroraSky

AuroraSky

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 9:10 pm 
It hasn't been determined if this is real or PhotoShop, but Bud posted it on his insta today (before deleting it). Unknown exactly where this is, but his description that 'he found it like this' is def BS!
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:40 pm 
Oh boy, if that is for real then never mind any good will I thought the group might've earned.  I didn't see that while I was there, but lots of terrain up there and I didn't see all the minutiae.
BugGurl747

BugGurl747

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 am 
A few days ago he carved a wood stick in honor of his buddy with the same style letters- all caps, while up on the mountain. It's an IG video.

Shortly after posting the "f### NWH" photo to IG, people questioned how he just stumbled upon that random spot? Not only do the letters mimic his, his vulgar language mimics him as well.

Would there be any ramifications for something like this?
Ski
><((((į>

Ski

><((((į>
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 am 
Nothing quite like showing your true colors to the world.

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 am 
Implicit admission of an impact upon them.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Byeguys
Armchairing

Byeguys

Armchairing
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 am 
AuroraSky wrote:
It hasn't been determined if this is real or PhotoShop, but Bud posted it on his insta today (before deleting it). Unknown exactly where this is, but his description that 'he found it like this' is def BS!

He forgot to carve the hashtag

Love the 3rd grade block style, takes me back

Hi Bud, same back
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots

Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:04 am 
AuroraSky wrote:

I was just wondering this morning what had become of the grand expedition, and in what condition they left the area. Now I suppose I can guess. Sounds like he (and his ilk) would be prime candidates for Elon Musk's expedition to Mars...not!

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Vertec

Vertec

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 pm 
Vesper Camp Damage - before and after photos of the tent site.

Before photos are frame grabs from video taken on 9/17/18 (the day the mountain was 'taken'):

Photos of the same location on 10/22/18.  Notice the trench dug to divert rainwater from the tent pad, and dead "grass".

Sorry for the delay in posting this (been busy).  Also had to consider implications of what has been observed in social media, specifically the "rants" about taking photos of the area.
I find it strange that someone can be so "rattled" by pictures taken on public land.

I enjoy courteous interaction with other wilderness travelers, including polite questions.  I obey all laws and public land regulations.  However I must assert that I have no obligation or desire to discuss the multiple freedoms I exercise on public lands including hiking, photography, and other well regulated but constitutionally protected rights.

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 pm 
Thanks for sharing Vertec.  I didn't look very closely when I was up there, I definitely missed that.  Didn't see the trench or an area with so much heather that had obviously been damaged.  Disappointing.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Vesper Peak Stewardship
  Happy Birthday Gabigabs, alpine964!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: