Forum Index > Trail Talk > Advice for Senior Citizen
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bergamo

Bergamo
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am 
I am in my late 60's and interested in making a trip to your part of the country; which trails could you suggest I might hike?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am 
Welcome to the site. smile.gif There is no shortage of trails in Washington State - everything from sea-level beach hikes to 14000-foot volcanos and everything in between. It would help if you could be a bit more specific about what you're looking for and what location you would be starting from and how far you are willing to travel to a trailhead. (If you're in Seattle in a hotel room with no rental car there's no sense in telling you about the Wallowas or Juniper Dunes or Shi-Shi Beach.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
iron

iron
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 pm 
and when...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm 
iron wrote:
and when...
... and what your skill level/abilities might be. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
nordique

nordique
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm 
A longtime hiking friend of ours, when he retired, investigated the best place to live, in the U.S., for hiking, his favorite thing--by looking for the location with the most local hiking guidebooks--and it turned out, for him, to be Seattle. My 87th hike so far this year is tomorrow! I grew up in New England and hiked there but I hated the hot humid weather, plus mosquitoes and black flies, and the ice season. 44 years here now and no complaints!

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 3:42 pm 
I'd suggest going to Mt Rainier or Olympic National Park. These are more visitor-friendly areas for tourists and hikers unfamiliar with the area due to generally good signage, the visitor centers, mostly paved roads, and the proximity to other people and to help if you need it. I'm generalizing a bit, but hiking our national forests can often mean long drives on unpaved or rough roads; it can take a little more legwork finding out trail conditions; and you probably aren't going to have a helpful visitor center person to answer your questions before you start. And they are some of the most spectacular trails you find anywhere. These are good guides: https://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Mount-Rainier-National-Park/dp/0898861756 (Out of print but still a great book; most directions/descriptions still stand but do double check before you set out). Or the 100 Classic Hikes in WA would serve you well: https://www.amazon.com/100-Classic-Hikes-Peninsula-Washington/dp/1594859787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537828906&sr=1-1&keywords=100+hikes+olympic

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 am 
Bergamo wrote:
I am in my late 60's and interested in making a trip to your part of the country; which trails could you suggest I might hike?
I started a creaky knees hiker thread last week here on NWhikers. Take a peak at some of the great possibilities others have listed there. Also The Creaky Knees Guide by S. Blair is a good book for those not familiar with the area. I have done most of them. It gives you a map location. elevation gain, length of hike, and difficulty level. Also a short description of the hike. If you want to stay close to Seattle, Mt. Si is a great hike(lots of switchbacks), smooth going to the top and a rewarding view of Seattle. Hike early and enjoy lunch at the top.

Hiking for health.
Bergamo

Bergamo
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 pm 
I thank you for your replies. I am very comfortable hiking the New England mountains; I would have a car and would like to experience a bit of all your well known areas; and, an important place to visit is the monument to Harvey Manning .

reststep

reststep
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 3:54 pm 
I think you would like both the Mt. Townsend trail and the Marmot Pass trail in the Buckhorn Wilderness Area of Olympic National Forest.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 5:43 pm 
As some have pointed out the key to planning a hike here is the time of year.

Bergamo

Bergamo
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 2:45 pm 
Time of year: late Spring through early Fall. Thanks

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 pm 
Bergamo wrote:
an important place to visit is the monument to Harvey Manning .
Not sure what you mean by that. You mean the Tiger & cougar Mountain trails near Seattle?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 4:18 pm 
Bergamo wrote:
Time of year: late Spring through early Fall. Thanks
Hello Bergamo, Your seasons basically work out to Winter, Summer, Winter. Prior to July, there may still be quite a bit of snow around and there is a significant chance of rain and fog. Starting in late September the same thing except the snow won't be old. It's possible for great days though. All depends. If it does start raining, it could rain for a week. Hiking can still be good, but it's different. Depending on the weather you could drive to different parts of the state. Your best bets in my view are July and August. If I could, I would try for those months. Chime in folks if I'm wrong!

nordique

nordique
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 4:42 pm 
Tomorrow will be my 88th hike so far this year. My senior citizen friends and I hike three days a week, weather-permitting, year-round. For us, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday is a hiking day--unless the rain forecast is for more than a quarter-inch, or if it's going to be windy, snowing, or icy. One of the things I love about the Pacific North West is a twelve-month hiking season--and autumn is my favorite hiking season: not hot, clearer skies, fewer dogs and people. Yesterday's hike is an example of just how perfect it can be: https://flic.kr/s/aHskJzei6f

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:11 pm 
nice pics nordique up.gif