Forum Index > Gear Talk > Waterproof "Wall Tent"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
swimz
dudeyeah

swimz
dudeyeah
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 7:37 pm 
Not sure if any of you have used a "wall tent" for any group adventures... Does anyone have knowledge about a good waterproof "wall tent?" Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 8:15 pm 
All the wall tents I've experienced use tightly woven cotton canvas. It's not waterproof like coated nylon, but it is highly water resistant, while also being breathable. Taught pitching is essential for maximum weather resistance. For long term established camps I've seen them pitched under an A-frame with blue tarps -- but those where winter/ski camps and the A-frames purpose was supporting the snow load.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 9:51 pm 
Tightly woven cotton was also famous for leaking if you touched the sides when it was raining explaining the popularity of cots in such tents. When I was a kid I slept in one in the back yard.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 2:21 pm 
Check around and make a few calls. Most of the good wall tent manufacturers have an option for a "rain fly" for any of their tents, usually a vinyl or poly tarp sewn and fitted to the tent.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:32 pm 
Spent many a week in them at Scout Camps. Most are designed to have some form of wooden frame (not included). They are crazy heavy and bulky as well. Here's some options: https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/canvas-tents I'd suggest a pop-up shelter with side panels or accessory side panels. https://www.ezup.com/products/sidewalls.html Another option is some massive Coleman 8 person tent, with the extra full rainfly here in the northwest. Comes with all the parts to set it up.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
contour5

contour5
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 pm 
Cabellas sells this kind of tent. Mostly used for long-term hunter camps right on the road...

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 9:38 am 
Ditto above Scout camp experiences plus Elk camp for the last several falls. IMHO, cotton wall tents are great. IF. The IF's are as follows: 1) Correct care and storage is a must. Simply put, a damp garage is going to give you a bad outcome much like putting one away wet. A wood or plastic tote will help keep critters away. 2) Correct pitching to avoid stretching and sagging over time. Cotton tents don't perform as well when pitched on hillsides or swales. 3) Take time to make sure that the frame fits your tent. 4) Cover the top with a vinyl or plastic tarp to extend the life of the investment. 5) A soil cloth sewed along the perimeter is worth paying extra for as it improves the livability. 6) Another extra to consider is a covered porch or cook shack extension. 7) Think about door zippers vs ties, windows or not, and side vs roof smoke stack hole. 8) DON'T SAVE 200 DOLLARS ON AN INVESTMENT THAT SHOULD LAST GENERATIONS.

illegitimi non carborundum!