Forum Index > Trail Talk > best Glucometer for hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 11:24 pm 
I've been a diabetic for 18 years and have always used a Bayer Breeze. It was fairly small but held 10 tests withn a strip in the tester so no cold fumbling for various strips and lancets etc. However, a few years ago they stopped making them and now have stopped making the test disks so I need a new glucometer. I don't care if it's super accurate or does the test in 1 sec instead of 5 sec, (how impatient we've become) but rather small with all the paraphenalia included in 1 package. thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 10:36 am 
Mike, I know it uses separate test strips, but I like the ReliOn Micro-- it's very light weight, pretty fast, takes a very small drop, but best of all, it's inexpensive! It's cheap enough that if it gets dunked and goes stupid or I lose it, I'm not out a huge bunch of $$$. It would be nice if it had a spool of strips, but for the price, I'll put up with having to carry a small tube of strips (I take a few out of the main tube and put them in their own, smaller tube.). Hope this helps!

bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 10:57 am 
This has the potential to be a very good thread. Anything over the counter, but more importantly, you don't have to be sick to want to do some of your own glucometry. What blood test can you do on your own? Glucometry, and not so much for the trail as my guess is those managing their illness likely know what gear is best for their situation. I learned to start taking my own blood sugar during emt training. I didn't like the numbers I was getting as compared to younger students usually after meals during that section of the training. Now I take it a few times a week. Sometimes in the morning sometimes after meals and sometimes in the evening. So much you can do adding glucometry to your fitness and meal plan. I've moved up to Libre Lifestyle to keep a better computer recording. Lots of great info online on what good, better, best blood sugar numbers are and how they should go up and down depending. I find it helps to balance sugars like gu and blended nutrients like bars and such during hikes and other outdoor adventures. It helped me better dial when to drop sugars as needed instead of too early or too often. Anyway it is a great tool. So why wait till you are pre ill or ill?

Raineycat24
Raineycat24

Raineycat24
Raineycat24
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 5:21 pm 
I use the All in One reli on from Walmart for trail. It's disposable. 50 strips. Size of film canister. At home I use On call just because of cost. Very cheap but has to be online ordered. In theory eating a few nuts ( walnuts or almonds) every 15 to 20 minutes to help balance blood sugar. But I don't have that kind of self control or deligence. I do think it's smart to check, especially while hiking.

Cathy Hall
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm 
I also do the nut thing while hiking, but I also put some jerky close by and am munching on a piece whenever I stop for a short break-- I don't have high blood pressure, so I don't worry about the salt, but I find it really helps keep my Blood Glucose stable...

hikermike

hikermike
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 pm 
Thanks for replies.

melc

melc
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm 
Continuous glucose monitor?

salish

salish
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm 
I use the Bayer Next One and it works fine. It doesn't hold test strips, but that's ok. I only test in the morning for fasting so I don't need very many (I used to test at least 4 times a day). Good luck.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
cathorse

cathorse
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:22 pm 
I agree with Bob above on the Freestyle Libre. I have used it snowshoeing last winter, checked through down jacket at lunch. How convenient! A lot depends on your insurance coverage, but to track glucose trends, it's really the best way to go.