Forum Index > Trail Talk > getting airlifted fron Cyclone lake....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fffej50

fffej50
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm 
I have lurked here for years usually posting something snide/snarky when I see a trip report covering familiar ground.... I found myself without a functioning knee for no apparent reason last Saturday with a very long steep day ahead of me I am 70 years old and my left knee has been replaced and it's been great but I was going nowhere anytime soon and the idea of being carried down that hill side can't be imagined.(+it was going to rain)... this is a big big thank you to the Navy search and rescue who flew out of Oak Harbor and the two Erics who were camped nearby and happened to be wilderness first responders. They climbed Snowking got cell service and the next thing I know I was hoisted up and taken to the ranger station in Marblemount where a sweetheart of Skagit county sheriff drove me to a hospital in Burlington.... jeff

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 3:22 pm 
Wow, quite a story! How did you get communication going? I'm curious to know.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
fffej50

fffej50
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 3:44 pm 
it was pure coincidence, they were camped at the next tarn over (where Foist reported the smoldering fire now out... but 100 feet of blackened earth) my hiking partner went over to chat with them before heading down to get help.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 pm 
Jeff I don't know if you're a praying kinda man. If not I'll send up some thanks. Hell, I guess I will, anyway. Yours is the 2nd guardian angel-in-the-mountains I have heard this week!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 pm 
Glad you are ok. What's the prognosis?

Damian

Damian
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 pm 
up.gif Well it took this to get ya to quit lurking and join in I guess. Glad all's well and I hope they figure this thing out.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 12:48 am 
Sorry to read about this. I hope you enjoy a speedy recovery! I'm very curious about your impressions of the helicopter ride. From the outside looking in, it looks like it has the potential to either be the most exhilarating and enjoyable part of the whole experience or a terrifying and uncomfortable ordeal.

fffej50

fffej50
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 am 
the ride was a treat, but I was embarrassed/humbled that I needed the help, I wasn't wrecked like the guy they hauled out earlier that day who had fallen off of Formidable with multiple fractures.... x-rays revealed bone spurs on the inside of my patella that aggravated the Itb band (sp) my left leg is a scarred mess that has been broken in 5 places including a compound fib/tib fracture .... but that was nearly 40 years ago while riding a motorcycle .... I've since done bunches of tough off trail meanders without a problem (Bacon Berdeen Blum, the Bailey, Ptarmigan traverse etc.) by the way there's 4 dead guy ales stashed in the last stream about 75 feet up from the road before you have to park ....

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm 
fffej50 wrote:
.... but that was nearly 40 years ago while riding a motorcycle ....
Those darn motorcycles! I just came back from visiting my chiropractor to straighten out a knee that complains often....and I'm sure it has to do with two motorcycle crashes when I was in my early 20's. I *really* would trade the fun of those confounded machines "back then" for the comfort of hiking/climbing now! And I've ridden in the local medevac helicopter a few times, but only as an observer, or occasional passenger. My niece's husband used to fly it, and once in a while he would take me up when they were doing a flight check, or the like. I took my GPSr along once and discovered that cruising speed was about 170mph. Quite interesting. But back to the point of the original post, I'm quite glad you got out just fine! I'm close to the same age, and have no intention of quitting (hiking mountains) anytime soon.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 pm 
Wow, I can't believe you managed the Kindy Ridge trail at 70 on the way in (and with a bum knee)! Very impressed. Not sure I'll be able to manage it at 40 (which is next year). That is too bad about the smoldering hole. So those campsites just to the south, are they toast?

fffej50

fffej50
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 3:49 pm 
yeah, i'm old but this was the 5th time I've been there over the years.... it's a beautiful place as you know... and I have a very short attention span.... (it's not that hard)Bacon/ Berdeen was hard. The campsites are fine but that fire smoldered/burned all the way down that hill under the sub alpine spruce/fir without igniting the trees, hard to believe.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 pm 
Thanks for responding! Sounds like it's arthroscopy time. Hopefully they can get in there and smooth things out and have you back on the trail by spring.