Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kootenai and Benewah County Highpoints, Idaho Oct 11, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 am 
Pouring over maps I noticed this high ridge dividing the St Joe and Couer D'Elene Rivers. Further investigation showed that two county highpoint were within a stone's throw of each other, one being a p2k summit, so I made the longish drive north for a visit. I followed these directions from I-90. There are no longer any signs that I saw but you'll see a signed "D" occasionally which helps:
Quote:
From I-90, Cataldo Exit 40 took Latour Road south about 9.5 miles to sign indicating way to Twin Crags. Go left here. You are then on unsigned FR 2309. The key move is 2.4 miles in on the Twin Crags Road where you need to go right (don't take the switchback which goes up to the left). At 2.8 miles, a road crosses a rock slide area and at 4.3 miles you come to a Y-shaped junction. You need to go to the left and up the switchback and do not continue straight. It is also signed here for Mirror Lake. Once you reach the saddle you will see Latour Peak to your left and the north and highpoint 6168 to the right and south, park here.
The drive is rough with encroaching brush in places so it's best to use a car you don't mind getting scratched. I was able to drive my Forester to the 5800' saddle between the two peaks, but it was challenging and the last few miles were at a snail's pace. I wouldn't try this in a low-clearnace passenger car. I started with 6408' Latour Peak which is also known as "Twin Crags." This peak has over 2000' of prominence and is the highest point for many miles around. An old lookout site is on the other crag known as Mt Wiessner. The views over the checkerboard clearcuts of North Idaho area quite good. An ATV track leads to the summit from the saddle though it is posted that motorized vehicles are prohibited.
Parking at Latour Saddle, 5800.'
Parking at Latour Saddle, 5800.'
Toward Latour Peak, 6408.' The highpoint of Kootenai County, Idaho.
Toward Latour Peak, 6408.' The highpoint of Kootenai County, Idaho.
An ATV track heads to the summit.
An ATV track heads to the summit.
Looking toward the highpoint of Benewah County, Idaho.
Looking toward the highpoint of Benewah County, Idaho.
Latour Baldy, 6240'+ from Latour Peak. I almost walked the 2.3 miles out there but decided that I wouldn't have time to visit the even nearer highpoint of Benewah County if I did. A good reason to return.
Latour Baldy, 6240'+ from Latour Peak. I almost walked the 2.3 miles out there but decided that I wouldn't have time to visit the even nearer highpoint of Benewah County if I did. A good reason to return.
Mt Weissner, 6187' and the remains of Twin Crags Lookout.
Mt Weissner, 6187' and the remains of Twin Crags Lookout.
Twin Crags Lookout.
Twin Crags Lookout.
Steep face on Latour Peak dropping to Mirror Lake.
Steep face on Latour Peak dropping to Mirror Lake.
I almost walked north out to Latour Baldy on the same ridge but the long drive had eaten up much of the day and I wanted to visit the other county highpoint to the south about 2 miles. From the saddle I walked south to 'Iron Mast Peak" which is probably higher but still in Kootenai County.
Iron Mast Mtn, 6168.' Looking back to Latour Peak.
Iron Mast Mtn, 6168.' Looking back to Latour Peak.
The Benewah County highpoint is on the same ridge and about 1/4 mile further just off of an an ATV track.
The unnamed highpoint of Benewah County, Idaho, 6160'+.
The unnamed highpoint of Benewah County, Idaho, 6160'+.
After more than 20 summits in Idaho, this is the first register I found. Too bad it's too wet to sign.
After more than 20 summits in Idaho, this is the first register I found. Too bad it's too wet to sign.
Kellog Mtn on the right. A ski area operates on the opposite side.
Kellog Mtn on the right. A ski area operates on the opposite side.
Hiking back to my car below Latour Peak.
Hiking back to my car below Latour Peak.
The driving to hiking ratio was highly skewed on this one but it was good to visit the area at any rate. On the way back down I was stopped by game wardens from Idaho Fish and Game at a check point on Latour Rd. I explained that I wasn't hunting and asked what they were looking for. "People not behaving themselves and shooting what they shouldn't" one replied. That was a first.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message