Forum Index > Trail Talk > Larch viewing delays on I-90
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:03 pm 
From WSDOT: Drivers urged to use alternate routes to avoid long delays this weekend on I-90 westbound near Cle Elum Drivers traveling westbound on Interstate 90 near Cle Elum this weekend are highly encouraged to use alternate routes in order to avoid long delays and congestion. For the safety of the traveling public, the Washington State Department of Transportation closed the right westbound lane Tuesday night, Oct. 2 after a string of collisions in the area prompted a closer look at the pavement. This new section of concrete was completed in fall 2017. However, a recent test of the concrete surface shows a subsequent reduction in skid resistance. Work to grind the surface of the roadway to increase friction and add traction is scheduled to start next week between mileposts 88 and 90. WSDOT anticipates the worst delay will be on Sunday morning starting at 11 a.m. If drivers can either delay their trip until Monday or use alternate routes via US 97 to State Route 970, delays of several hours can be avoided.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm 
Exit 85 is for Highway 970 at the east end of Cle Elum. The closure is a few miles father east. Should be okay to use 970 and 97. Unless there is a long line of cars on old Highway 10 coming from Ellensburg to avoid I-5.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 2:11 pm 
Yeah, what Jim said. MP 88-90 WB straddles both sides of Indian John rest area, an area with a history of slickness (when wet or icy), so it's gotta get fixed. It's possible detouring drivers will result in congestion on SR970 between Exit 85 and the US10 turnoff.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 pm 
When the enchantments are sold out you get these big commutes happening. You gotta just get that objective as quick as possible and then just slay the boring approach to get out of there quickest. Its highly competitive

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 10:48 pm 
We came back from larchy lookin on SR20 Fri-Sat by spending a night at 25 mi. Creek SP last night. Today we went over Blewett to Roslyn up to Salmon la Sac then back on I 90 no significant delays. Thanks Kim for the warning😺

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 4:54 pm 
None of the larch/tamaracks on my property are changing yet..... Ill let you all know when that happens.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln