Forum Index > Trail Talk > Late season backpack in SW WA - Indian Heaven or William O Douglas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 1:37 pm 
With next week’s promising weather and a lucky week off, I’m looking for a short ~ 20-25 mile 3-4 day backpack. Both of the listed areas are terrible in season with the bugs, so now seems like a good time. Indian Heaven, I’d have time to do the whole area and have never been. William O Douglas - I’d mess around Tumac mountain, Blankeship meadows, etc. I’ve never been to either. What do you think?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm 
letsgobobby wrote:
I’ve never been to either.
Me either, but if I had to choose between the two right now I'd go for Indian Heaven because: - Bug season should be pretty much over with now. - Night temperatures at any high elevation are pretty cold, and you've got about an hour more night than day right now. (The second reason is why I just changed my own plan for this coming week.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 8:36 pm 
Indian Heaven is a 2 nighter, max — unless you’re a turtle.

Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 am 
Deer hunting season is Oct. 13-31. Also there are grouse, bear, etc hunting season open. With the nice weather, you will probably have some company. I have seen hunters scouting for elk in October because the elk (firearm season Nov 3-14) are in rut and the bulls are talkative (ie bugling).

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 pm 
Endless number of trails, loops, in the Tumac, can easily spend 3-4 days/nights wandering around in there. Might take a rod with you. Although deer season is on, it's not a heavily hunted area.

letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 pm 
we are prepared for hunters - my son and i both have orange safety vests and orange hats to wear, and safety orange ponchos to throw on if it rains. but is hunting allowed in the wilderness? i thought not. but if william o douglas is significantly lighter traveled and hunted, that might tip us in that direction.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am 
Yes, hunting is allowed in wilderness on Forest Service lands. The William O has loop trails that loop and I would imagine it has frosted there so the mosquitoes should not be a problem. That is the major complaint about that area which was once called Mosquito Basin. It is also pretty easy to get around in and easy on the knees if you don't hike up any of the peaks.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 3:06 pm 
I overnighted in Indian Heaven last night. Didn’t see a single hunter. I saw plenty of fall beauty. I saw plenty of hunters outside of the most hiked parts of Indian Heaven, along the forest service roads at lower elevations. You’ll be fine hiking in Indian Heaven.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 4:41 pm 
if you want a peak, there's always Little Huckleberry Mountain. you can find trip reports on OregonHikers.org. fabulous views of Hood and Adams. last water is a little ditch partway up the hill. there is a very small area (big enough for a sleeping pad and bag) off the east side of the summit where you can spend the night. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."