Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car Camp Site - High Elevation, Open in January - Ideas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trapperlake

trapperlake
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm 
In the PNW the combination of high altitude and car accessible only exists where the road is plowed. So Paradise at Mt Rainier, Mt Baker Ski Area, Steven's Pass, Crystal Mtn Ski Area, White Pass and Blewett Pass are some choices. Mt Rainer has the heaviest red tape factor and you aren't allowed to car camp, but will need to travel over snow about 1/2 mile to the designated camping area. Most of the ski area plowed lots have a designated area, but also charge a fee. Blewett pass north of the pass in Chelan county is free, but you are only 59. Feet off the highway. It snows a lot here, from 30 feet of snowfall in places above 3000ft elevation, 100 feet at 6000ft and even more at higher elevations on Mt Rainier.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm 
it's too early to predict snow cover in late January but, unless it's a very unusual year, the entire Cascade range will likely be under several feet of snow. Your best bet might be high ground east of the Columbia River, which gets far less snow.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 pm 
If you can carry your gear on a gondola you might be able to camp somewhere near crystal in the north backcountry. You should clear with ski patrol. It used to be easy before they extended the patrolled runs. If you are near the top of the ridge it is fairly safe but if you drop off on the west it gets into dangerous any county in a hurry. Top of Cowboy mountain near Stevens is another possibility but some snow shoeing could be required.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Your best bet might be high ground east of the Columbia River, which gets far less snow.
I was thinking the same. Sentinel Mtn or Wahatis Peak in the Saddle Mtns could work. Roads go up both of these points. The eastern part near the site of the ancient Corfu landslide is far enough from transmission towers and has lots of grassy areas to set up a camp. Since it's around 2000', there should be little to no snow and a pretty good paved road goes up toward Wahatis from SR 24 near MP 60. The entire ridge is high above surrounding terrain.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am 
There is a plowed snow park at Loup Loup Pass (4200') with an outhouse. You will need a snow park permit but can camp there. From the edge, you can see beyond the Methow Valley. You might also check Sherman Pass (5500') for a place to camp. It is a fairly high mountain pass between Republic and Kettle Falls which is open all year. Out of Randle, there are a couple of snowparks with facilities that are plowed out. One is Orr Creek and the other is Wakepish. I think both have warming huts. They are used heavily by snowmobilers, some who pull travel trailers up. I think Wakepish is the higher of the two. You will need a permit for either one.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 11:31 am 
There is a Sno-park at Sherman Pass and you would need a permit for parking there too. In the Summer there is a small campground...and there is a short trail to an "overlook" with some views.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
trapperlake

trapperlake
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:12 pm 

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm 
trapperlake wrote:
The question is -- I'm looking for ideas on where in WA state (no radius limit) on where we can find: 4. High Elevation.
I take it that you're going to be using horizontal dipole, or the like? Otherwise I'd suggest a lower elevation location next to a lake where you could string out counterpoise radials for a vertical. This sounds like a fine idea though! I was unaware of a winter field day. I rarely even make it to the summer field day (it's usually the same weekend as our anniversary).

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
trapperlake

trapperlake
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm 

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 pm 
trapperlake wrote:
Why else are radio towers on mountain tops ? ;-) Fresh water lakes would be less ideal.
Radio towers are located on mountain tops because they use gain antennas (at VHF/UHF frequencies) to direct most of the signal down toward the horizon. Great coverage that way. However, for HF (which is what I assumed you are doing for "field day" events, attempting to cover significant distances - worldwide) ground elevation doesn't help, and actually doesn't work as well as "bottom land" where the ground conductivity is typically better. You can see (and download) an FCC conductivity map here. A horizontal dipole works well if at height, and a vertical will do well also if you have good counterpoise. But, an area with few trees will leave you not much to string up some wire to. Lakes/swamps are perfect for HF verticals (and better with radials, of course), which is why most AM broadcast towers are located in such places. And yeah, saltwater is a bit better. My technical background includes NAV/COMM & RADAR tech for the FAA as well as AM/FM broadcast engineering, and extra class amateur licensee, and that's why I thought to offer the observations. However, as far as scenery goes, you're quite right, alpine certainly can't be beat! up.gif Thanks for bringing this up, I'll have to see if any of the local guys are doing this. And, I'll be quite interested in hearing (reading) how it went for you. And I just think this sounds like a great way to spend a weekend! Have fun! moonspots (KBリCVX)

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 pm 
FWIW, Loup Loup SnoPark is forested and a ways east of the top of the hill. Be prepared for cold weather. Last time we popped up the camper there, it was -8F

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 pm 
Loup Loup Snowpark This would not be plowed to but it is on the edge and a tent could be pitched. Shade was hard to come by as far as trailer spots went/go/
The potty is at the end of the plowing and the start of the trails.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm 
Oops, looks like he went away. Was somebody mean?

oldgranola

oldgranola
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 pm 
I thought it was a fine topic. But he took everything down. Maybe worried it would lead to where the bodies are....