Forum Index > Trip Reports > August, Goat Rocks, with my son
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm 
Late report but I just can’t stop grinning when I think about the trip I did with my eight year old. He’s a great hiker and absolutely loves hiking, camping, and backpacking. We planned 35 miles and 5 days looping from Lily Basin down to Snowgrass, up to Cispus Basin, up Old Snowy, down around Coyote Ridge to Lost Lake, Packwood Lake, and out. But we got chased out by a threatening wildfire and shortened the trip to 4 days and around 32 miles by skipping Lost Lake and Cispus Basin. My 8 year old hiked from north of snowgrass to snowgrass, up to the PCT, up Old Snowy, along the Knife Edge, past the PCT turn off, and all the way down to packwood for 13 miles and +3000,-6000 feet in one day! He loved every minute of it and I was more beat than him. We’ve got two more trips planned this fall (next week, and an out of stater in November). Take your kids hiking!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am 
SWEET! We took our lil unit (a few years older than yours) on a few backpacking trips this year. They can do a lot as long as you can take enough food, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:27 pm 
My daughter and I (from Montana) are hoping to do a 4-night loop in the Goat Rocks starting on July 16. I've been searching for ideas. This will probably be our only trip in the GR Wilderness, so we want to make the best of it. We are both very fit and experienced. Do you have any suggestions as we plan the adventure? Thanks.

Happy trails! bigskywalker.com