Forum Index > Gear Talk > IS my old Ortovox avalanche beacon useless?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Analysis of the flux lines of multiple transmitters is useful if you are preparing a paper for a IEEE ICC conference but not so useful for ski touring. You time would be better spent studying terrain and snow conditions. But of course I am just an old crumuggion. huh.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
snoqpass

snoqpass

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 12:28 pm 
You can add to the list, probing, shoveling, extrication, evacuation and first aid which seems to get overlooked when people are discussing beacon use
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb

gb

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Analysis of the flux lines of multiple transmitters is useful if you are preparing a paper for a IEEE ICC conference but not so useful for ski touring. You time would be better spent studying terrain and snow conditions. But of course I am just an old crumuggion. huh.gif

What I start out doing in beacon search practices is have everyone in a line and then I approach the line, letting the practicers see what their maximum range is as I change the orientation of my transceiver and then approach slowly to show how their tranceiver responds with respect to flux lines. I demonstrate clearly how the readout of the "searcher's" transceiver changes as I clearly change my transceivers orientation with respect to that of the line of "searchers".

In practicing multiples, first begin by placing transceivers visible on the ground and having individual "searchers" approach and walk through the area to see how their transceiver processes and responds to multiple signals.

That is about as far as one needs to get into the electronics and flux lines of transceivers.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 5:45 pm 
Its fun to have a group of people in search mode.. you need quite a few...to stand in a circle around a beacon in transmit mode and have them hold their beacon out pointing in the direction its telling them to go
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 am 
Another useful exercise that I like to perform with new groups is to have people pair off and play "hide and seek" with the beacons.   The hider will put their beacon in a ziplock box and stuffed into stuff sack, wrapped with a jacket and will then bury the beacon somewhere nearby.  Works best in areas with lots of existing tracks and obviously in a safe zone...   It gives everyone a real world picture of partners and their own search skills.  Including the time one guy neglected to turn his beacon on before burying it.  That makes you appreciate how helpful a tool a beacon is.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 11:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Including the time one guy neglected to turn his beacon on before burying it.

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > IS my old Ortovox avalanche beacon useless?
  Happy Birthday Kathleen, eplanajr, Pepper!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: