Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm 
A local Spokane company has come up with some folding cook pots for camping and backpacking. Looks like a great idea, and apparently they work. With the popularity of "heat exchanger" pots and high efficiency stoves I wonder if they don't need another model, or two? My thought is they need to make one with a heat exchanger that will fit onto the popular stoves (Jetboil, Windpro, Windburner, etc.), or work directly with those manufacturers and do some OEM pots for them. Here is their website, what do you think? https://www.bearminimum.org/

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 pm 
Interesting, makes me ponder thermodynamic inefficiency of box vs. cylinder. Also, the Al base plate appears to protrude around the perimeter, which would contribute to heat loss (i.e., the opposite of a Reactor-type heat exchanger, which directs perimeter heat up along sides of pot). Most cylindrical pots are designed for nesting of stove (and sometimes fuel can) inside, thus space savings would not be all that much. I hear ya re heat exchanger (which IMO is way to go). Those appear to be made with very simple tooling. Building them with heat exchanger bases compatible with Reactor, Windpro or JB heat would be a big step.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 am 
I wonder about long term durability and plastic compounds leaching into food. Remember the whole BPA water bottle blow up?

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 am 
I'm thinking of inevitable leaks at the folds after a couple years' use,, and of the more fragile stuff I pack inside my solid cook pot so it won't get damaged (stove, for one). YMMV and HYOH, of course.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
contour5

contour5
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:43 am 
Looks kind of like a pic-a-nic basket.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm 
I dunno BooBoo....I am not certain, but judging from the images it looks like it could be similar to the material used for grill mats and oven liners, like Silpat mats. http://www.silpat.com/

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:32 pm 
Certainly doesn't look like there's a weight advantage. Hard to find weight or spec info on the website, but in the description for the Mama Bear 64oz (1.9L) it says "under 10oz". Similar size backpacking pots in aluminum (STS, MSR), seem to be in the 8oz range and priced similar. Titanium would be more $, but even less weight.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Titanium would be more $, but even less weight.
More money, yes. But not lighter. Density of Ti and Ti alloy is roughly 60% greater than density of Al or Al alloys. See https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-alloys-densities-d_50.html The only way to make a lighter Ti pot would be to draw it to a section >60% thinner than material used for existing Al alloy pots, which is not practicable, thus lightweight Al alloy camp pots and Ti alloy camp pots of the same volume and design are roughly the same weight. Ti alloy pots are sometimes actually heavier. Ti would be stronger and tougher, of course, although I'm not sure to what end: I have not experienced any failures with Reactor pots (all 3 sizes) notwithstanding lots of use and abuse. ETA: Also, Al alloy is the better choice for heat exchanger pots because Al alloys conduct heat more evenly than Ti alloy. That is, Ti alloy pots tend to result in hot spots and cold spots (as do stainless steel pots).

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
Titanium would be more $, but even less weight.
More money, yes. But not lighter.
MSR's 2L titan pot is listed at 6.4oz, Toaks 2L titanium pot is listed at 6.7oz (sans lid) So both lighter than the "under 10oz" of the Bear Min 1.9L cube and the 8oz 2L aluminum pots from MSR and STS that I mention. Could be due, however, to less build / feature and not specifically the material. You could find lighter Al pots. Just not from MSR, STS, GSI, etc. Fully agree that Al is much better than Ti and stainless at heat dispersion.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:30 pm 
Wonder how they would work in a wood fire? Hard to believe they would last as many centuries as a good metal pot.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 am 
I think I might try one. Their main attraction is space savings, and not necessarily weight, durability equal to metal, or wood fire compatibility. I do go on some trips where space in my pack is a premium (at least until have my way with a few days worth of food volume). If I do try one, I'll report back.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 am 
Schenk wrote:
Their main attraction is space savings
Is there any meaningful space savings if you do it right, i.e., pack cylindrical pot full with stove, fuel, food and/or other camp gear?

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:15 am 
I wouldn't put that on top of a stove. I've been making a great effort to get rid of any plastics that come in contact with high heat and my food. In their own FAQs: "Open flame will have a high potential of degrading the material after prolonged contact and should be used with caution." "The Bear Bowl cook pot body is made from a food grade PTFE coated fiberglass and is used in food manufacturing plants as well as in cooking, grilling and baking products." "if you overheat the Bear Bowl cook pot to burning, it could have a potential of leaching materials." No thanks

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am 
I like my titanium pot. It's light and functions perfect. I fill it with bowl, cup, and stove (or crackers). If it were squarish (slightly easier to pack),it would be hard to clean. Just can't imagine a folding pot having near the durability... a malfunction is not an option. The only way I can imagine my pack lighter is to not carry so much (extra) food....or clothes, or tools... Well, unless I could get someone else to carry part of it...yea, not going to happen.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
if you do it right
Did you mean to say "if you do it DIY's way"? I can easily see situations where having something flat, rather than a cylindrical, would be an advantage. Feel free to not try or use these if you don't think there is an advantage in it for you.