Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lucky 5 - PCT Loop, 09.02.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 10:52 am 
For the 1st in a series of small hikes before a bigger trip, I found a route in one of my guidebooks that was not already checked off the list & decided to go for it. It was an easy loop in the Lagunas, all trail with views to the east into Anza-Borrego. I saw one guy head down the trail as I was gearing up, but no one after that. smile.gif up.gif I parked @ the spacious, underutilized Sunrise Trailhead along S-1 & hung my Adventure Pass. As usual it was a sunny day w/a pleasant, warm temperature. cool.gif up.gif I picked up the Sunrise Trail heading south from the parking lot.
TH
TH
It rambles beneath Pk. 5,444', then crosses the rd. by the gate for Lucky 5 Ranch.
Desert views
Desert views
Once across S-1, the route is on an old rd. that descends to the PCT.
Mtn. mahogany
Mtn. mahogany
PCT
PCT
I turned northbound on the PCT as it paralleled not far below the hwy. Thankfully @ some point during my outing I was able to escape the noise of S-1. up.gif
@ one point I rounded a corner to find articles of clothing & a fairly new-looking, lg. 1st aid kit abandoned @ the side of the trail. confused.gif
1st aid kit & clothing left behind
1st aid kit & clothing left behind
Continuing on, I eventually found a nice overlook just off the trail to sit & have a snack & rest. I gazed out to the great void to the east--my beloved Anza-Borrego--& longed to be hiking there again but I would still have to wait a couple mos. until the temps reached a bearable level. cool.gif
Moving along, I made the left turn onto the trail that would head back west, cross the hwy., & bring me back to my lonely car roasting in the parking lot. redface.gif
My lonely car
My lonely car
Stats
Stats

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:09 am 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
"...articles of clothing & a fairly new-looking, lg. 1st aid kit abandoned..."
huh.gif
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
"...back to my lonely car roasting in the parking lot..."
Why didn't you park your car in the shade? clown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message