Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pk. 5,958' Loop: Forest, Meadows, & Desert Views on my bday; 09.04.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm 
This day hike was a precursor to the real bday trip to come, a multi-day adventure in Yosemite (stay tuned for TR!). Since my bday always occurs on or near LDW, I saved Yosemite for just after the holiday wknd. as to avoid the crowds...or @ least as much as one can expect to avoid the masses in a very popular natl. park. wink.gif I studied the map the night before & concocted a plan to link several trails together in order to knock out a pk. I hadn't been up before, as well as get a mix of desert views, forested areas, & meadows. This hike is best done on a weekday as parts of the Mt. Laguna area can get quite busy on the weekends as people seek areas w/shade. cool.gif I parked @ the Storm Canyon overlook platform, snapping a couple pics before setting off.
Storm Canyon
Storm Canyon
I dropped below the platform to pick up the PCT & turned south.
Looking back @ the parking area & viewing platform
Looking back @ the parking area & viewing platform
On the PCT
On the PCT
On the PCT
On the PCT
I reached the side trail to Foster Pt. & decided to check it out as I hadn't been there before.
Side trail to Foster Pt.
Side trail to Foster Pt.
Foster Pt.
Foster Pt.
Sign @ Foster Pt.
Sign @ Foster Pt.
I retraced my steps to the PCT & continued along.
Moving along...
Moving along...
When the PCT reached a point close to Pk. 5,958', I left the trail & bushwhacked over to the summit which was just a short distance away & not much higher up.
Summit register
Summit register
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
It was a nice summit but the peace & quiet was periodically disrupted by some guy yelling somewhere in the vicinity of the bump just NW of Monument Pk. confused.gif huh.gif I looked over in that direction but never saw the source of noise.
Incessant yelling coming from over there somewhere
Incessant yelling coming from over there somewhere
I bushwhacked back to the PCT & continued south, pulling over briefly @ an overlook near where that guy must've been yelling. By now I didn't hear him anymore.
Back on the PCT
Back on the PCT
Pano from a nearby viewpoint
Pano from a nearby viewpoint
Big drop
Big drop
On I went, passing below Monument Pk. (been there, done that) & dropping down to where the PCT meets the Big Laguna Trail.
Continuing south on the PCT below Monument Pk.
Continuing south on the PCT below Monument Pk.
Gettin' woodsy now
Gettin' woodsy now
Turning west on the Big Laguna Tr.
Turning west on the Big Laguna Tr.
I turned west on the BLT, crossing S-1 a short distance later.
Shrooms
Shrooms
Continuing on the BLT after Xing Sunrise Hwy.
Continuing on the BLT after Xing Sunrise Hwy.
Some flowers were blooming in a burnt area along the trail.
I reached a rd. & turned rt., then later crossed Los Huecos Rd. The BLT dropped south down a pretty forested area & then swung more westerly as it approached Boiling Spring Ravine & the eastern edge of Big Laguna Meadow.
I reached the edge of the meadow & kept to its eastern edge, heading in a northerly direction now. I passed cows grazing in the meadow along the way.
Meadow & cows
Meadow & cows
Meadow & cows
Meadow & cows
Meadow & cows
Meadow & cows
Big pine
Big pine
Big pine
Big pine
Mortero
Mortero
I turned right on the part of the BLT that goes on the western edge of Little Laguna "Lake". I put it in quotes since I've never actually seen a lake there, just a slight depression in the grass.
This is supposed to be Little Laguna Lk.
This is supposed to be Little Laguna Lk.
Next, I made another right turn to start heading toward El Prado CG. I came across a bathroom & peeked inside, finding that rodents had pretty much taken it over. eek.gif Needless to say I did not use it. embarassedlaugh.gif
Very old pisser
Very old pisser
I reached the CG roads & made my way north & then east, passing by a historic cabin.
The home stretch
The home stretch
I reached S-1, & then just had a short walk along the shoulder back to my car. This was a nice mellow loop w/lots of variety; will prolly take my group on it someday. smile.gif up.gif up.gif
Stats
Stats
Rt.
Rt.
Then, a quick drive home to shower & get ready for my bday party. hockeygrin.gif rocker.gif breakdance.gif souse.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message