Forum Index > Trail Talk > Land conservancy Forterra buys 190 acres to permanently protect Lake Serene Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm 
Seattle-based land conservancy Forterra closed last month on its purchase of 190 acres of land from timber company Weyerhaeuser to preserve the popular Lake Serene Trail, according to a Friday news release from the nonprofit. The trail, east of Gold Bar and accessible from Highway 2, travels through thick timber to Lake Serene, a chilly alpine lake at the foot of imposing Mount Index. When Weyerhaeuser said it planned to log in the area and close the trail, Forterra organized a fundraiser to purchase the acreage. Helping to raise funds were Snohomish County, the Washington Trails Association, Washington Alpine Club, Outdoor Research and REI, according to a Forterra news release. More: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/land-conservancy-forterra-buys-190-acres-to-permanently-protect-lake-serene-trail/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 pm 
cool. up.gif so.... what's their long-term plan to pay the property taxes on the parcel? wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 3:15 am 
Ski wrote:
cool. up.gif so.... what's their long-term plan to pay the property taxes on the parcel? wink.gif
Forterra usual strategy is to acquire private property to protect it from development and then arrange to sell it to a government land agency. Forterra is able to do the purchase far more quickly than a government agency. Typically an agency requires legislative support for an acquisition, which takes months to years. Most private land owners looking to sell want to close quickly, Forterra can do that. https://forterra.org/

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 am 
that's great to hear! good work to all involved. its a busy trail, and rightfully so. good easy access dayhike for newish hikers to the falls., or a little more for the adventurous. hate to lose that, if only temporarily.

oldgranola

oldgranola
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am 
I'm really happy about this! I heard it was in the works. I have very strong good and horrible memories up there

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am 
up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mike

mike
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:51 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
so.... what's their long-term plan to pay the property taxes on the parcel?
You are wondering about the loss of the property tax? The value added by amenities such as public recreation lands and trails more than makes up for the loss due to a non profit purchasing some property. You might ask how much your property tax is going up because of the influx of people moving here because of such amenities.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 pm 
^ I'm just curious as to how they deal with that. The Nature Conservancy takes a different tack - they extract timber revenue from some of their units, for example. No "right" or "wrong" to it - just curious. FTR: the property taxes here are insane.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 2:17 pm 
Ski wrote:
FTR: the property taxes here are insane.
Compared to what? In King county the rate is 0.99% New York county (Manhattan) the rate is 1.925% plus there is a 12 % state and city income tax and the sales tax rate is higher.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm 
Good news!!

When I grow up I wanna play.
hbb

hbb
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 am 
I assume the folks at Forterra have a solid understanding of taxation of forests lands, and will seek open space classification or otherwise reduce or eliminate the tax burden. I mean, why wouldn't they?

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 am 
The did something similar on the S. Fork of the Skykomish. They purchased 2 different parcels that were water front. They then turned around and signed it over to the Tulalip Indian tribe. Don't know if that was just for tax purposes or for salmon recovery.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 8:32 am 
The area that Forterra acquired was the primarily creek bed that they couldn't log anyway. They did log a third of it before turning it over to Forterra.

Julia

Julia
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:43 pm 
Schroder wrote:
They did log a third of it before turning it over to Forterra.
This. And the area is prone to mudslides ... I wonder about the stability of the hillside after the intense logging right there. I owned property nearby & watched as the hillsides constantly calved off, taking out many cabins, etc on the regular. If landowners uphill cut their trees, within a couple years often the downhill landowners would have mud slides to deal with. I was surprised to see how much was logged up above before the sale went through.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
RodF

RodF
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 am 
Ski wrote:
what's their long-term plan to pay the property taxes on the parcel? wink.gif
Ski, property tax on this 190 acres is $220.83 (see Snohomish County assessor's record). Because it is classified Timber Lands, it is exempt from the ad valorum property tax under state law RCW 84.33 but is subject to an excise tax on the value of timber harvested (tax rate 5% state + 4% county). Here's an overview of timber tax in WA state. History: In the 1920s, cut over forest land not suitable for farms was routinely abandoned after first harvest and eventually seized by the county for nonpayment of taxes. Counties resold some of these, but today DNR manages "About 546,000 acres are State Forest Transfer trust lands that were acquired by 21 counties in the 1920s and 1930s through tax foreclosures." (quoted from DNR State Forest Lands) To encourage landowners to hold and replant forests, OR in 1928 and WA in 1930 ended the ad valorum property tax on forest land, and imposed the excise tax on harvest. Also in 1930, McArdle & Meyer's influential "Yield of Douglas Fir in the Pacific NW" (USDA Tech Bull 201) was published on sustained yield harvest rotation. Although forest lands continued to be abandoned in the 1930s as timber companies went bankrupt in the depression, this played a major role in the history of those that survived, like Port Blakely, Wayerhauser and Simpson, who were early adopters of sustained yield practices taught at UW, and those who followed their example.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva