Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boomerang, paperboy - 10/11-12/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 pm 
I can't seem to stay away from the Quartz river trail...but I had not done Boomerang before and the time was right. My intent was to take my time and find a nice high camp somewhere near the summit of Paperboy. The pruning my sister and have done on the Quartz river trail is still holding up nicely. I brought my pruners and saw but used them very little....which is good because I get sucked into the pruning and pretty soon my back is sore and half the day is gone....anyway, upon reaching the end of the trail at a ravine ( about 4.5 miles from car, 3100ft ), I went straight up about 800 ft, loaded up on water, and then began the long rising traverse westward on talus to the 4,700ft point on Paperboys south ridge. Just over the ridge I found a great camp spot for one tent and a night view of city lights. The next morning it was windy and cold so I quickly loaded a daypack and headed out with no breakfast. The North ridge of Paperboy leads directly to the base of boomerang. Travel was rugged but not always brushy and plenty of goat turds to convince me I was traveling the path of least resistance. At the 4,200 ft pass below boomerangs south slope, I stopped in the calm woods in soft sunshine and had breakfast. The way is straight up from here, 1000ft+ and you are on the anticlimactic and long tedious summit of Boomerang. The unexpected bonus of this trip was the expansive alpine garden zone on Boomerangs north slope. I explored this at length after deciding Twin peaks for today was not going to happen. The route view is great from this vantage though. It was my hope to also do Twin peaks but after staring at it for a while, it appeared to be a little more complex than running the ridge as I had hoped. I would need to drop a bunch and then follow a dubious looking gulley or two..Now I know what to expect for a real attempt on Twin peaks. The return trip was smooth and I discovered a spiffy brand new 'rebel' trail coming up the south ridge of paperboy...not sure where this thing starts from but it is a serious effort and would be fun to follow it out to its start.
Quartz mountain and Quartz river valley
Quartz mountain and Quartz river valley
Garfield from Paperboy summit
Garfield from Paperboy summit
Camp below Paperboy summit
Camp below Paperboy summit
Calligan lake
Calligan lake
Lake Philippa
Lake Philippa
Boomerang north slope alpine
Boomerang north side alpine
Boomerang north side alpine
Twin peaks from the south
Twin peaks from the south

Fedor
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 10:32 pm 
That is some pretty country on the north side of Boomerang. What is the best way to get across that deep gully with the collapsed bridge just west of the junction where the Rooster Mountain road splits from the Quartz Creek road?

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 7:31 am 
Whitebark, thanks for bringing that up. I forgot that crossing is a little treacherous. The logs are slick, rotten and steep..but I have used them in the recent past-not recommended. You can follow the trail to the right and drop straight down to the creek. Its a vertical 15 foot dirt slope drop with roots, trees for higher up holds. I left a knotted rope here and punks immediately stole it. frown.gif I hacked steps across for a lesser drop down, but those have melted away now. Next time I am in there if I can remember, I will get some more economical hardware store type rope to leave in place again. The rock crossing usually is slick in that shaded gulley. Right now its dry and the water is super low..about was good as it gets.

whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm 
Building a better route into that gully would be a great project for someone. In the meantime, I'll bring a length of rope if I visit the area...perhaps Sunday.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 8:27 pm 
Just in case I need to trim a bit on the way in ...you never know.. Its a lightweight Fiskars model. I also carry a small Silky folding saw.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:56 am 
Good plan to camp to get in Boomerang. Paperboy was enough for me as a day hike. I think I'll camp at Blethen Lake someday to get a visit in there and try for Paperboy from there. I gave up on finding a reasonable way to Twin Peaks from the south after looking at maps and photos. I think this is one of the more inaccessible summits in the area. Make sure you let us know if you work this route out someday.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am 
Puzzlr, I am too cheap to pay the access fee for the area coming from the north side! Next year I'll figure out the south approach for Twin Peaks. I just need to wake up earlier and get to it with out leisurely exploring along the way.