Forum Index > Trip Reports > Leroy Creek High Route 10/13/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 6:10 pm 
Foist wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, this has happened before to this road. It was nearly undrivable in 2006, and then it must have gotten some maintenance after that because it was way better when I returned in 2011. The Cle Elum River road has had similar multi-year cycles of decent to terrible and then decent again. So it may just be that we are nearing an every-five-year-or-so regrading.
I hope that's the case. I was just talking to my friends about how bad the road to the Hyas Lake/Deception Pass area used to be, but has been decent in recent years. Suiattle River Rd. is really discouraging as well. Hasn't even been 5 years since it was repaired/reopened I think, it's in absolutely TERRIBLE shape currently.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 6:44 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
Sweet! Headed up there for the first time in a few days. How tricky would it be with two dogs on leash? Any scrambly sections?
The most "scrambley" for me was the approach to the pass above ice lakes. Though since I was on the "high" portion at that point in the high route(the old route goes low around that ridge) I missed a section of drop to the valley below the pass. (A tread on steep Tallis) Don't know if that makes sense... there was a party of 3 with dogs doing the whole traverse and they seemed to know what they were doing If going to ice lakes, coming from Leroy ck side is easier and less exposed than from the Carne mt side...

When I grow up I wanna play.
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Brushwork wrote:
I was just up to upper Ice lake couple days before you
I've only been there once, probably 15-20 years ago. Went the long way via Entiat River. I remember it being beautiful, I'd definitely like to visit again.
Do it ! I liked it!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 pm 
They're having a serious conversation across a log..,,maybe about who's going to go fetch water...? I don't know but I think it's intense. Some how I didn't get the quote in. It was in reference to the two ice figures. Oops.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
jdk610 wrote:
Sweet! Headed up there for the first time in a few days. How tricky would it be with two dogs on leash? Any scrambly sections?
The most "scrambley" for me was the approach to the pass above ice lakes. Though since I was on the "high" portion at that point in the high route(the old route goes low around that ridge) I missed a section of drop to the valley below the pass. (A tread on steep Tallis) Don't know if that makes sense... there was a party of 3 with dogs doing the whole traverse and they seemed to know what they were doing If going to ice lakes, coming from Leroy ck side is easier and less exposed than from the Carne mt side...
When you get to the notch just east of point 7425, it is easier and not at all exposed to head uphill east to point 8017 (aka freezer peak) and then head north along the ridge to the pass above ice lakes, rather than traverse straight over to the pass. The former route gains a bit more elevation but is way less scary and has the bonus of an awesome view from an 8000 foot summit.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 7:40 pm 
Thanks Foist, I wondered about going straight up, but just didn't know how it would be. Good to know. Thankyou!

fyodorova

fyodorova
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 pm 
We were also on this route on Fri-Sun and met mbravenboer at the saddle above Ice Lakes. It seems like everyone who was in the area this past weekend was from nwhikers! How lucky were we with the weather and peak larches? Foist, thanks for the info about the alternative route that avoids the sketchy gully. We came in from Carne Mountain and were planning to go back the same way, but decided to loop out Leroy Creek to avoid the gully. We had also read about a route that stays low and goes around point 7425, meeting the route that descends NW from the Ice Lakes saddle towards Leroy Basin. We briefly scouted for this route on our way out on Sunday, but couldn't see an obvious way around point 7425 so decided to head out Leroy Basin. We were also wondering about the fate of the Chiwawa River Road on the drive out. This is such a popular area that it wouldn't make sense for the FS to let it get much worse.

fyodorova

fyodorova
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:23 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Windy as heck is an understatement! I was in the area Fri-Sun and heard three trees fall on the climb up to Carne on Friday afternoon. One of them came down not 5 minutes after I walked past it - even saw a pretty big branch fall as a precursor.
Oh hi, I just matched your username to your signature. I think you were part of the group of four that my husband and I leapfrogged for much of Saturday, and we ascended that gully together. I thought I recognized your name from the trail register. Your photos on Flickr are amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos from this past weekend.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 6:02 pm 
Small world. I'm pretty sure we passed some other NWH alums on the way out on Sunday too. Don't hold your breath for my pictures, I'm notoriously slow at posting anything these days. clown.gif