Forum Index > Gear Talk > best synthetic hoody jacket for cold?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 pm 
I'm looking to buy a synthetic hooded jacket for cool/cold overnight trips. Think ski tours with night time lows in the 25 to 30 degree range -- and a need to be standing around, cooking, doing camp chores. Not a jacket for being on the move. Want a bunch of warmth, along with reasonably lightweight, stuff ability. I've got a good down sweater and side zip pants but down is a risky bet for the trips I've got in mind. And I've got older Patagonia puffball sweater and side zip pants which are OK but not warm enough for these kind of trips. Any thoughts? I'm looking at Outdoor Gear Lab's comparative review. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-insulated-jacket?specs=n&n=0&sort_field=#compare Rab Xenon X Hoodie, their top pick, looks promising. Or, maybe the Patagonia Nano Air Hoody, or Hyper Puff Hoody. Thanks, Eric

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 8:26 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
standing around, cooking, doing camp chores. Not a jacket for being on the move. Want a bunch of warmth, along with reasonably lightweight, stuff ability.
Warm is a function of loft. High quality synthetic insulation is measured by mass/area (g/mē). On the warm end of the spectrum: Patagucci Hyper Puff (100g/mē) and Arc'teryx AR Atom (120g body, 80g under arms and side panels). Both are fine products. Fit is different, so try before you buy. The not-as-warm end of the spectrum: Patagonia Nano Puff and Rab Xenon (60g/mg/mē insulation). IME, the 60g jackets are fine for 3-season camps but not warm enough for mid-winter camps. I prefer much warmer and much more compressible down jacket for winter (<20F) camps. I carry an old tattered 100g jacket for colder mid-winter day ski tours. I will soon replace it with the Hyper Puff or AR Atom. Patagonia Nano Air is a different animal, designed as a replacement for fleece, breathes great (for baking sweaty layers during breaks) but not as warm and worthless in wind without a shell over it.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 pm 
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I notice the Hyper Puff and its 100 grams of insulation. Extra few ounces in weight don't stop me. It's the stuff ability that makes me hesitate. I keep picturing a stuff sack near as big as my sleeping bag. I'm still sorting through the gear, weight and bulk implications. Maybe I'm just destined to be a spring (i.e. warmer, lighter packs) ski tourer. Gotta love a 20lb pack for 3 nights out (with a primo forecast).

Off trail rambler
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 am 
I have the Xenon and I think you'd be cold in it standing around in 25 degree temps without a lot of layers underneath, which wouldn't be that comfortable given how tapered it is. Exercising in it is obviously a different story. I sometimes sleep in it in a bag that's comfortable down to 30 if it gets much colder than that.

hbb

hbb
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 pm 
Is there some reason why you want a single, stand-alone coat rather than layering? I ask because I seldom use my puffiest coat, but most trips will involve one or more of my lighter weight puffs, either worn separately or layered.

pula58

pula58
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm 
If you are going to be using it in winter, with no risk of rain, and if you're going to be standing around in it, or at camp, then, DOWN is the only thing I would personally consider. It's warmer for a given weight, probably will even cost less than synthetics, and can be packed/unpacked without destroying its loft. You'd need your rain shell to be able to fit over the jacket though. In summer, spring, fall in WA state I use Montbell Superior Down jacket (with hood). It weighs about 9 oz. For winter I think I'd up it to a Montbell Alpine Light jacket. It has roughly twice the amount of down and weighs-in at about 12 oz. That is what I hope to purchase quite soon for winter activities. I don't feel that 60g synthetics are warm enough for winter even with a midweight fleece underneath. Could you tell us why you are thinking of going with synthetic insulation?

Bronco

Bronco
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 2:49 pm 
This is another area where it helps to have a quiver to choose from. I have a light weight, mid weight and heavy weight synthetic puffy for trips and a medium weight down jacket which seems to only get worn around town. If I'm wearing a pack, my back gets pretty wet from sweat so synthetic works the best for me.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 pm 
Thanks all JVesquire. Good point about the Xenon being a slim fit not given to layering, and appreciate your comment on the limits of its warmth. hbb. I think I'm wondering if there is a synthetic equivalent of my down sweater - one layer that adds a ton of warmth. I'm starting to sense that that one big layer (especially in a bulky synthetic version) would be more limiting than nimble (and you right about layering). pula58. I have down that I'm happy with. 20 year old Patagonia down sweater and side zip pants. I'm interested in upgrading the synthetics I have, never had a synthetic hoodie and looking at the options. This would be for trips where for one reason or another I'd feel uncomfortable being dependent on down clothing. Edit: My biggest concern with down is accumulation of dampness on a multi day trip. Bronco. Yep, I'm with you on good to have a quiver, and the sweaty back concern. Down's fabulous but if you don't have daily bouts of mid day sunshine available to dry it I start to wonder about its loft. Especially after multiple days out, possible vapor buildup. Much more so with down sleeping bags (with body vapor rising) than down clothes but it is still a concern.

Off trail rambler
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
I think I'm wondering if there is a synthetic equivalent of my down sweater
No, not in terms of compressibility (one of your priorities)
Eric Hansen wrote:
My biggest concern with down is accumulation of dampness on a multi day trip.
Have you tried a VB or semi-VB under down? It works.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:12 pm 
Yep, have done VBL years back, both a sleeping bag one and using UL rain gear as a UL layer. I should try it again. Memory has it calling for strong mindfulness towards the end of the day before transitioning.

Off trail rambler
iron

iron
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 pm 
i dunno what the current montbell syn puffy is nowadays, but 8 years ago, it rocked.
montbell advertisement
montbell advertisement
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7980698

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm 
Bumping this thread because we are shopping for winter syn puffs, will likely get Patagonia Hyper Hoody puffs. (FTR, we have FF down jackets for dry clothing/body.) I was surprised how well the Hyper Puff stuffs for such a lofty piece. Any other suggestions? I checked out the Arc'Teryx Atom LT Hoody, but the knit underarm/side panels turns me off for a belay/break parka. I believe the Atom AR does not have the knit panels and I like the idea of 120g/m2 body and 80g/m2 sleeve combo, but I have not found one to try on. Any other suggestions for a mid-winter (i.e., 100g/m2 insulation) puff? No need to respond re 60g/m2 pieces because I'm up to speed on those, having used them for years.
pula58 wrote:
Could you tell us why you are thinking of going with synthetic insulation?
I can't speak for Eric, but for me there are good reasons to go synthetic for mid-winter trips. Of course, down is obviously the way to go in cold dry weather when you and your clothing is dry, but IME a synthetic puff is the way to go for a belay piece, breaks on ski tours or other insulation on stop & go trips when the piece will be placed over damp layers. Also, synthetic puff under a shell is nice for breaks in falling wet snow/humid (common PNW mountain) conditions. Contrast a down piece between body and shell, which IME usually gets fouled with moisture.

DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 am 
I have tried the Mountain Hardware (older version of Men's Kor Strata™ Alpine Hoody), Patagonia Das Parka and Sherpa synthetic parkas and loved them all. The Mountail Hardware is the lightest (by 2 ounces) and compresses the smallest while still delivering great warmth. I sweat a lot here in the wet pacific NW and love synthetics. Especially after wearing a shell over my parka when the sleet is blowing horizontal. Primaloft is really fast drying and warm while you wear it wet. I have been in wet conditions many times and it has always come through for me. Can't say the same for people who have come along and used the new treated down. It IS way better than untreated down but still, once it gets wet you have no insulated jacket. For winter I take a synthetic base layer (capalene?), light wool sweater, light primaloft jacket and my primaloft hoody. I am quite toasty standing around camp after dark with no fire. At night I can take off the light jacket and stick my feet down the sleaves and pull the jacket up over my legs. Then wear the hoody on top. This allows me to take a lighter sleeping bag and stay warm. As a last note, I do not stuff my hoody or light jacket into stuffsacks. I pack them into my pack to fill the gaps around other bulky items like the Pot, stove and tent. This allows me to use a smaller lighter pack.

"May you live in interesting times"
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 4:43 pm 
Honey and I gave each other Rab Xenon X Hoodie puffs for Xmas. Highly reviewed, e.g., OGL best of class review. Per first try, they seem superior our Patagonia Nano: Rab has considerably more loft @ same weight, excellent fit and pattern making thus fewer saggy cold spots, more room around neck but still excellent seal, longer in back. Very nice piece. Time will tell how durable it is. (Reviews from ostensibly credible hard users are positive.) Warning: The arm holes are significantly smaller than most puffs -- great for eliminating a cold spot sag -- but might be tight on some people, so try before you buy. My XXL arm holes are just big enough for me.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 pm 
Steve, you still liking it?

Off trail rambler