Forum Index > Trail Talk > Single hikers with earphone in while hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 pm 
Yeah, if you bliss out too much on Clouds Rest you take a 1000 meter ride off the edge. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm 
last time i huck up Si everyone was earphonin!! even get those bluetooth users up there!! talkin!! on the phone while hiking!! nothin wrong with doin some air g'tar up on a ledge like it's the edge of the stage!! just don't stage dive!!

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
I'm all for hiking your own hike, but it's not something I would do. I would be way too afraid of walking into an ambush.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
I'll never understand why you'd want to mainline noise to drown out the sounds, but couldn't care less if you do. I will, however, consider you creepy if deep in the wilderness you walk past me in your catatonic state and don't acknowledge my existence.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I will, however, consider you creepy if deep in the wilderness you walk past me in your catatonic state and don't acknowledge my existence.
At last! An opportunity to quote one of my favorite poems on this site. Been waiting nearly 2 decades for this. Stephen Crane. A man said to the universe: “Sir, I exist!” “However,” replied the universe, “The fact has not created in me A sense of obligation.”

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Routes

Routes
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I will, however, consider you creepy if deep in the wilderness you walk past me in your catatonic state and don't acknowledge my existence.
No doubt. I will always double tap my airpods to pause whatever I'm listening to when I see approaching hikers just in case they want to chat.

Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:09 pm 
Everyone enjoys things differently.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 pm 
I ain't pausin' mine!!! Usually just say "HEY!! HOWS IT GOIN!!!" at whatever volume is sufficient to get over the level of my blastin' buds, to me!!

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I ain't pausin' mine!!! Usually just say "HEY!! HOWS IT GOIN!!!" at whatever volume is sufficient to get over the level of my blastin' buds, to me!!
up.gif A quick glance and implied nod is plenty.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
texasbb wrote:
At last! An opportunity to quote one of my favorite poems on this site. Been waiting nearly 2 decades for this.
You're welcome. smile.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 am 
If I'm alone I'm ALWAYS listening to either podcasts or audiobooks while outdoors. In fact there are outdoor themed podcasts I only listen to while outdoors. They're not blasting and there's enough space in between words for me to notice if something is making noise nearby, good or bad. I never use them when with others around with the exception of a long approach hike out on trail, but usually not.

KJR

KJR
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:19 am 
The fact that I have ear buds, headphones on or whatever is truly none of your business. Is it your business to tell me my shoes are inappropriate when you pass me on the sidewalk? Is it your business to tell me my car is a horrible car when passing on the street? Perhaps I work in a very quiet environment and take the opportunity to enjoy some music? Have you ever listened to Beethoven, Bach or Mozart? Perhaps I have them in so I don’t have to talk with you, and I am listening to nothing? I have walked up behind lots of hikers that do not have earbuds in and startled them as they didn’t hear me coming. Having earbuds is not exclusive to people not hearing you coming, quite often they are busy yammering away at the person(s) they are hiking with scaring off all the wildlife within earshot long before they get anywhere near to see it. I hike solo, often listening to music, I see and hear more wildlife then most people do. I don’t like to talk along the way, I spend all week talking and listening to people at work. Everyone’s reasons are different, how is it anyone else’s business how I hike, what I wear? Here is an equally good question for you. Why do people want to stop and talk to perfect strangers as soon as they get away from a trailhead that they would walk by without question on the sidewalk? Are people scared of being alone and want to talk for reassurance? This thread is similar to the annual threads about people wearing cotton while hiking. I am surprised nobody has brought up the ultimate cardinal sin of wearing earbuds while hiking in Levi jeans and a cotton shirt and wearing dress shoes without a see through backpack with the 10 essentials in it labeled appropriately. If everyone was the same, the world would be a boring place indeed. Hopefully at the end of the day I had a good hike (whatever my hike was to me) and you had a good hike (whatever your hike was to you).

around the next corner
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:44 am 
You tell them Kevin

Sammy

Sammy
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 am 

altersego

altersego
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:53 am 
Hiking Cispus Basin to Sheep Lake on the PCT a few years ago, we passed a couple with earbuds in and full on solar panels on the tops of the packs!