Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:22 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Did you mean to say "if you do it DIY's way"?
No. Camp pots can be used to carry lots of different things.
Schenk wrote:
I can easily see situations where having something flat, rather than a cylindrical, would be an advantage.
So can I, although I don't see how the advantages outweigh the advantages of a heat exchanger pot.
Schenk wrote:
Feel free to not try or use these if you don't think there is an advantage in it for you.
Thank you for permission to make my own buying decisions, Dear Adored Master.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 pm 
The pot's not that flat.

Franco

Franco
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 1:44 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Their main attraction is space savings
Is there any meaningful space savings if you do it right, i.e., pack cylindrical pot full with stove, fuel, food and/or other camp gear?[/quote] I find it rather funny when people talk about wasted space when, if you do pack your pot efficiently, there is no wasted space.

contour5

contour5
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm 
I can't see this thing surviving a single trip. It's massively, shockingly, criminally inefficient. The handle snaps look like they're designed to fail. The handle is ridiculous. And it looks like there's no lid. You might have better luck just wrapping some foil around the bottom of an old Chinese food takeout container. They're very pretty, though. I could see using one as a gift bag. Papa Bear would make a cool emergency rain hat if you could get the chin strap dialed in… Eventually somebody will manage to fit a heating element/ gas nozzle into the base, or build a self-powered unit made of flame-proof solar panels that double as video screens. Getting a subwoofer in there is going to be tough, though. Looking forward to seeing somebody dancing up the trail with one of these in each hand...

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 am 
Thanks for the cool moniker DIY! Calling me names really makes your opinion about how folks should be packing pots so much more important to emulate. rolleyes.gif Yes, these might fall apart with one use, or develop holes at fold points, but so far that is pure speculation on anyone's part. Let us know if you have some actual experience with these to share, and not just pejorative speculation and criticism.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
kite

kite
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 pm 
I have one, its kind of cool. But not sure what i am going to do with it, most likely re-gift it. \FYI 7.5 oz and its hard to fold into the pot shape

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 am 
Franco wrote:
I find it rather funny when people talk about wasted space when, if you do pack your pot efficiently, there is no wasted space.
Very true, but your existing perfectly usable and more efficient pot is not a bright new shiny object. wink.gif
Schenk wrote:
Calling me names. . . .
when you dish out a slur, expect one back bub

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 1:31 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
when you dish out a slur, expect one back bub
No kidding? It would be hypocritical to expect otherwise. Perhaps you can point out my "slur" against you that warranted name calling? hahaha Kite, thank you for your impressions and input about this product.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm 
This is easy. You implied he was demanding that you follow his idiosyncratic pot packing method and that his method was just a personal preference. Clearly, any space saving method is included in the implied set of "right ways" to pack a pot. Implying that someone calls his personal preference the one true way when this is not the case implies all sorts of nasty character traits such as arrogance, stupidity, lack of empathy, lack of self awareness, selfishness, and unleashed dog walking. Well, maybe not the last one. Since your comment seemed exagerated for humorous effect, I didn't find the response out of proportion. The exchange made me laugh actually so hopefully no harm done. Thank you both for the diverting intellectual content.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 4:46 pm 
Here's a pretty good review, right up to about 3:00 minute mark where dude just dumps his uneaten food into the smoldering fire pit...

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm 
That video does a good job demonstrating the pot has its charms. What's so bad about burning up extra food, so long as you actually burn it all up? I know cans and foil don't belong in a fire, but won't food without bones burn completely? Seems like next to eating it or packing it out, that could be the best way to eliminate it.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 pm 
Quote:
What's so bad about burning up extra food, so long as you actually burn it all up? I know cans and foil don't belong in a fire, but won't food without bones burn completely? Seems like next to eating it or packing it out, that could be the best way to eliminate it.
Most likely, not all of the food will burn up in the fire. This will attract mice, insects and other vermin to the camp. Over time this leads to a deeply infected camp. Old camps with dirty fire pits are disgusting and arguably dangerous and unhealthy places. Are you kidding? He completes the cleaning process by wiping the remaining food out into the campsite! VERMIN CITY! Then he stuffs the smelly folded-up pot into his pocket! "Slick as a whistle" Jeeebus! I can remember camping like that back in the 1970s when I was an ignorant teenage hippie moron. I'm older now, so I get to shake my fist and ridicule others for doing the same thing...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 pm 
^ You've got to have a HOT fire to completely incinerate wet food. Otherwise what contour5 is saying there will occur: rodents and other critters will have a feast on the leftovers. Just an FYI: it takes about three days to completely incinerate pork bones in a fire that's burning most of the day and night, and they stink something awful the entire time. I'll stick with my cheap-ass $6.95 Ekco aluminum saucepan. Does the job. Doubles as a shovel when needed. Super lightweight. Just need to find a new handle since I stupidly broke it on a recent outing.
pot_010612
pot_010612

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 4:47 am 
OK, thanks for those comments on a keeping a clean camp. I am all for nice clean soot and nothing else in a fire pit. Still, it's a good review of the folding pot. Obviously, sticking it in his pocket was a bit of a gimmick. My biggest issue might be his choice of food. Those instant mash pots contain a lot of additives.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 7:18 am 
Schenk wrote:
Perhaps you can point out my "slur" against you
Here it is, obviously intended as a passive aggressive slur:
Schenk wrote:
Did you mean to say "if you do it DIY's way"?