Forum Index > Trail Talk > TML's & Backpacker Magazine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:13 am 
They both have really nice photos. That doesn't happen by accident. I agree that this situation didn't start with social media. Some places get more busy, a few others less as attention wanes. If you really want solitude don't look for ideas online -- it's not hard to find especially mid week. We had the entire West Fork Foss to ourselves on 10/17, normally a very busy place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:12 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
All the times I've been there in the past,
How do we know if visitation to a particular place or area has changed? Because "all the times" we go back to the same supposedly delicateplaces over and over. Again I posit that we are a major part of the problem. It is a hard pill to swallow, but nonetheless true. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am 
We just need a law clarifying that I'm the only person allowed in the mountains.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:53 am 
RumiDude wrote:
I don't know, I was at Jade lake almost 17 years ago and again about 15 years ago. It seemed ridiculous then.
Have you been there since the BP article in 2016? We saw 25+ tents at Marmot, Jade or No Name (stopped counting after 25) in August 2016

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Too many people around here these days...
Do you propose a response? Mass genocide? There are plenty of places to find solitude in WA mountains.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I don't know, I was at Jade lake almost 17 years ago and again about 15 years ago. It seemed ridiculous then.
Have you been there since the BP article in 2016? We saw 25+ tents at Marmot, Jade or No Name (stopped counting after 25) in August 2016
Where do you propose these people go instead? Snow Lake? j/k We have always had places that were over used. I have been to Snow Lake three times and two of the times there was nobody there but me, at least that I could see. On the other time I only encountered a few people at the Lake. Most people stopped at the top and didn't come down. But I could see the past impact of multitudes. There is a little lake in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness that I have stayed at once and stopped by several times. I have never met anyone there at any time. Yet the impacts of human visitation are unmistakable. The bare ground, the fire rings with garbage, the crap gardens, and all the rest. Just over the ridge and off trail is one that looks much better at first glance. But a bit of dinking around and I find same ole human impacts with the exception of the bare ground, because it is almost all rock. When I was at Jade Lake, I saw a lot of human impact. I have not been there for 15 years. I imagine the human impacts have accumulated and accelerated over that time. For about four years I worked a 4x10 work week that effectively was 8x10 work with 6 days off. I did a lot of solo trips into Alpine Lakes and Glacier Peak areas. I was able to get "deep" into the backcountry off trail. Often I might not see another person my entire trip. Every time I thought I had discovered a pristine place that was seldom visited, a closer look revealed the often extensive impacts of human visitation. After a while I stopped being surprised by what I found. All that before FB, Instagram, and all the TRs here and elsewhere. The issue is the impact. The question is how are we going to disperse the impact of all those who wish to recreate in the backcountry? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 am 
OK. I'll take that as a "no, you haven't been to Marmot/Jade since the BP article in 2016." Thanks for playing.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
OK. I'll take that as a "no, you haven't been to Marmot/Jade since the BP article in 2016." Thanks for playing.
I wrote: "I have not been there for 15 years". So "yes" that is a "no, I have not been to Marmot/Jade since the BP article in 2016". I wasn't aware it was a game you were playing. Rumi

neek

neek
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 am 
What will happen over the next few decades, if we don't wipe ourselves out in the meantime, which is also possible, is
  • People will continue to gain leisure time. The historical rate will accelerate as automation takes over the service industry and governments are forced to experiment with UBI and other economic strategies.
  • Influence of social media will continue to grow as technology improves and the pressure to build a "personal brand" online becomes even greater. The social construct of individual liberty and entitlement will continue to gain traction. "I deserve to see these beautiful places because I'm a good and special person" etc.
  • Outdoor equipment will continue to get lighter, faster, more comfortable, better marketed
  • Physical health and ability will continue to improve
  • Self-driving cars will make it easier and cheaper to get around and will help cities like Seattle build much denser. The world will continue to shrink. A 4-hr drive to Slate Pass won't seem so bad when my car does most of the work and I can kick back with VR goggles on. (Lest you think I'm completely insane, I'll let it take me to Mazama, but I'll do the rest, thank you.)
  • Think population in the PNW is bad now? Growth hasn't even begun; this is one of the most desirable locations in the world, and as climate change drives mass migrations, we'll be even more of a target
So, more people will be getting out, and there will be more incentives to visit and advertise the "secret" places. What to do about it? You can sit back and reminisce about the good old days I suppose, and complain about kids these days. Or you can stop hating humanity (I am still working on this fwiw) and figure out how to allow others to non-destructively experience the magic of these special places you've benefited from so much over the years. For sure, the secret places should remain so for as long as possible. I'm all for public shaming of authors who sell their soul by revealing the most sensitive spots, and agree that it can be hard to know where to draw the line. But soon we might not even have to rely on social media for finding these places. Imagine an AI equipped with high-resolution topographic data and aerial imagery that you can just ask to "find a secluded alpine lake I can hike to in a day". People need education more than they need censorship. Camp with a young person and model LNT ethics. Volunteer with organizations doing advocacy and maintenance. Continue policing social media, and hold people accountable. As Rumi pointed out, impact is key. People will go to the mountains. Where will they put their tents? Where will they poop? What views will entice them to trample which paths? People are like ants. They're predictable, and they optimize. They want the biggest bang for the buck--the best view for the least energy expenditure. You need to trick them into taking the boric acid back to their colony. Er, wait, maybe I've taken the analogy too far. You need to help them appreciate your values without being overbearing and turning them off to the ideas. It's not a problem any one of us can solve singlehandedly, but we can still do our small part (as with voting).

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:48 am 
Yea omhk seems to have posts the now over crowded areas. curse.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 pm 
The next step is total quota restrictions EVERYWHERE. Be just like the Enchantments everywhere. Its already like that in most parts of the Sierras, has been for a long time now. Don't even think about getting back country reservations at Yosemite. Mt Rainier is not far behind. I'm all in with ONP going to full Quota everywhere. I personally like it when the parties out there know that the LEO have their contact/Credit Card info in hand and can trace it back to any asshattery that occurs. These days its only a crime if you get caught, so time to get caught. And I'm rooting hard for Mother Nature to wipe out as many roads a possible. Make getting to those places a real endeavor, cause some sweat equity to be paid for the experience. People who earn it tend to be better behaved. What would Thunder Basin or Tuck/Robin lakes be like if it was a 3 day hike just to get there? So So happy that the MFK is gated at Dingford Creek, Williams Lake was a trash heap 15 years ago. Just because the road is blocked to vehicular travel doesn't make it closed to foot traffic. Get out of the car and spend some real quality time in the woods, not just a weekend beer bash for social media ego boosting. I've always (for 35 years now) observed the 12 mile rule - don't expect any solitude if the hike is less than 12 miles. Any lake under 10 miles from the car is going to get swarmed by the weekend warriors. BTW, I'm 57, have a pinned hip, so I'm not coming from an aspect of superman physical fitness. I still get out to where I want to be. I just want it bad enough to take the risk and set aside the time to make it happen. I don't feel that I deserve anything. I like Clint Eastwoods famous line "deserve's got nothing to do with it"

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:49 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
And I'm rooting hard for Mother Nature to wipe out as many roads a possible. Make getting to those places a real endeavor, cause some sweat equity to be paid for the experience.
The problem with that is it makes the areas that are more accessible even more crowded. We've lost plenty of roads as it is, I'm not rooting for more to get wiped out. Also when roads get severely damaged often trails do too, and may not get repaired for years or ever.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:28 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Where do you propose these people go instead? Snow Lake? j/k
Why not? There are many other candidates as well. Why funnel them to Jade or TML? That's the issue.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:15 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
the backcountry ranger, who was carrying a shovel, probably for fire ring and human waste removal.
It's for those things, but the #1 thing it's for is clearing trail dips. If the debris is cleaned out of them in the summer, they will work better in the spring (redirecting water off the trail).

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
Why not? There are many other candidates as well. Why funnel them to Jade or TML?
What's the criteria for what is allowed to be mentioned and what has to be kept secret? What's the criteria for being allowed to learn about the secret places? Here's the line that comes under the rubric Trip Reports on NWHikers: "Best served with prose, line breaks & eye candy". Read through the TRs and lots of comments on the photos. Some TRs are a virtual tour of the trip with labels on maps and photos accompanied with description. Summit Post is similar. WTA TRs are often short with a few photos as well along with a general route description. Even Karen Sykes authored a book titled Hidden Hikes In Western Washington. The increase in visitation to these areas has been happening for a very long time, including Jade, TML, Tuck and Robin, etc. All of these places were known to me long before NWHikers, FB, Instagram, and any blurbs in Backpacker. I simply used a map and explored, finding places only to learn the correct name later. Hell there's trail to TML made my multitudes of boots. My opinion is that it is best to spread the impact around rather than concentrate hikers and backpackers. Rumi