Forum Index > Trail Talk > TML's & Backpacker Magazine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:37 pm 
Agree it's best to spread the impact around rather than concentrate hikers and backpackers. Places like TML are not the best candidates because they can't really handle the impact. How to spread the impact? Comes down to common sense. Not sure what the author (or individual that provided the image) were thinking. I would say the bar is much higher for posting in Backpacker Magazine. TRs here do have impact. I've always left it up to everyone's discretion. We've had this discussion many times. I go back to Carl Skoog's words of wisdom. I think he summed it up nicely: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=131670#131670

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Snow Lake, Mailbox Peak, Rattlesnake Ledge, Lake Ingalls, Colchuck, Heather Maple Pass, Hidden Lake Lookout, Mt Pilchuck, Gothic Basin, The Enchantments, Tuck & Robin, Heather Lake, Lake 22, Lake Serene, Artist Point
Out of that list, I'd say several of them have only become heavily used trails in the last 5 years or so. Gothic definitely didn't used to be that way, I don't think Hidden Lake LO was either. Ingalls and Colchuck weren't always overrun anyway. I think Heather-Maple loop has exploded in popularity the last year or two.

kevperro

kevperro
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm 
The "good ole days" are over. The reality is that what we have known as wilderness will not ever be the same. There are increasing numbers of people wanting to experience the same things we want to experience.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
Snow Lake, Mailbox Peak, Rattlesnake Ledge, Lake Ingalls, Colchuck, Heather Maple Pass, Hidden Lake Lookout, Mt Pilchuck, Gothic Basin, The Enchantments, Tuck & Robin, Heather Lake, Lake 22, Lake Serene, Artist Point
Out of that list, I'd say several of them have only become heavily used trails in the last 5 years or so. Gothic definitely didn't used to be that way, I don't think Hidden Lake LO was either. Ingalls and Colchuck weren't always overrun anyway. I think Heather-Maple loop has exploded in popularity the last year or two.
It has all been building slowly for the last two decades, maybe even longer. The first 100 Hikes book was first published in 1966. Certainly there was a long standing tradition of outdoor recreation in Washington, but it was nothing like today. Backpacker magazine started publication in 1973. There was no widespread internet until the late 1990s, and even then it was mostly text driven. There were forums and such, but social media was mostly chat for a while. As the internet has grown, old media has died and the new media has replaced it. Now social media and powerful search engines dominate and we are seeing the change in how people get their information. The addition of cell phones with powerful navigation apps, people are more adventuresome than just five years ago. People are not afraid now of getting off-trail in pursuit of that perfect alpine camping spot. They aren't dependent on outdoor clubs and organizations to acquire knowledge and skills. It's not just that pretty alpine lake that encourages them, it is that shot of people they judge to be just like them scrambling up slopes and on ridge tops that convinces them they can do it too. And maybe the final encouragement is the availability of inReach and SPOT that further assures them they can stretch their skill set to the max. No place is out of reach now. No place is secret. No place is beyond their knowing if they look. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
Newer cellular phones record the GPS coordinates of the location a photo was taken, which can be easily found by right-clicking on an image and selecting "properties". The information is in the photo. the person posting on "Instagram" doesn't necessarily need to provide maps or post GPS coordinates. I have to wonder if people are even aware of this. huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 pm 
Ski wrote:
Newer cellular phones record the GPS coordinates of the location a photo was taken, which can be easily found by right-clicking on an image and selecting "properties". The information is in the photo. the person posting on "Instagram" doesn't necessarily need to provide maps or post GPS coordinates. I have to wonder if people are even aware of this. huh.gif
I was not aware of this. But then, I'm just about the least aware in terms of any thing tech... I do wonder what it will be like to hike in years to come. There's been a lot of change in the last (for me) 40 yrs or so. Much more though in the last 5 . Now there are a lot of places that are so crowded, they're out of bounds for me. Yet I wouldn't want to stop anyone else from hiking.... like I have. Partly I think it's coming to terms with both change in general and the realization that my body isn't going to be able to do this forever. Logic and feelings are not on the same page.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:26 pm 
Those with a large following are unlikely to be shooting with a phone camera, and even if their cameras have a GPS I seriously doubt they would be naive enough to post EXIF info with the GPS coordinates to the extent they otherwise choose not to reveal location. They are likely to be highly skilled in post processing, know what EXIF data is, and what it contains.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 pm 
I first visited TMLs back in the early 80s. Tales of big fish was the draw. Went back last year for a 2nd visit. No one else was there. Very defined trail now. A few more fire rings not much trash, micro or otherwise. Most of what I have visited over the last 50 years I found by reading published material. Manning was the main source, it took awhile to discover Fred. He opened a whole another world once you learned to double his times and open your eyes. Its not hard to find solitude if your willing to sweat for it. People are finding these same places through new mediums. The question becomes how do you manage a rapid increase in public interest. Perhaps the solution would be to harden tent sites, ala what you see at cutthroat lakes up on Mallardy ridge. Land agency's would have to react quickly to impose day and overnight permits on areas that have caught the publics attention. Harden tent sites, patrol with volunteer groups. Problem is USFS or DNR or whoever are unable to react quickly. How do we go about enabling various land agency's to react quickly without alienating the public? Its not hard to get a mob reaction when the issue is government overreach.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm 
The problem with that is it makes the areas that are more accessible even more crowded. We've lost plenty of roads as it is, I'm not rooting for more to get wiped out. Also when roads get severely damaged often trails do too, and may not get repaired for years or ever.
Yup. All this does is concentrate the impacts in new places. The argument that difficultly protects a place has some merit, but the fact is that it didn't save the Enchantments prior to the restrictions, it hasn't saved anywhere else either. One thing which IMO needs to be addressed is that other people's impacts are *your* impacts when your actions produce theirs. The only way to impact the social media firestorm of impact is to get folks to accept responsibility for their actions being amplified by their advertisement.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:15 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Make getting to those places a real endeavor, cause some sweat equity to be paid for the experience. People who earn it tend to be better behaved.
Absolutely! I've thought this for many years. Another good example is "Old Faithful" in Yellowstone. Mt Rushmore is even worse! What a superb MESS that has become. Almost like a freeway exit conglomeration along I-5. There. It used to be a decent attraction... I'm a firm believer that if you want it you have to WORK for it.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Make getting to those places a real endeavor, cause some sweat equity to be paid for the experience.
What are "those places?" There are lots of places with solitude and beauty in WA Cascades and Olympics that require (and thus protected by) strenuous, long and/or difficult travel. I've been seeking those places out for 30 years, and we rarely see other parties (except sometimes on ingress/egress within a couple hours of the TH).
coldrain108 wrote:
And I'm rooting hard for Mother Nature to wipe out as many roads a possible.
The problem with that view: Fewer roads will increase congestion at more accessible locations. Less accessibility just moves the problem from one place to another. We have a couple real time examples of road closures, e.g., MFK Road, the closure of which IMO was a net detriment. Re the Marmot/Jade BP mag fiasco: Getting to Jade/No Name is not an easy overnight hike. For those of us who have been there immediately before and then after publication of the BP article, the circumstantial evidence is compelling: The sh## show resulted from the BP mag article, not because of accessibility.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am 
MFK. Sigh. mad.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
MFK. Sigh. mad.gif
ditto.gif ditto.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:38 am 
Yeah, closing the MFK Road past Dingford was a real loss. It provided access to numerous 2- or 3- day trips to cool off-trail spots with solitude. (The lousy condition of the road kept out the crowds.) Getting to those spots now requires and extra day or two. Personally, it's not a big deal because I'm semi-retired with time. But it's a shame access to the upper Middle Fork is now impracticable to families with younger kids. In a thread a few years ago, I opined that if the upper Middle Fork valley and high ground on either side were in all but a handful of states, it'd be a national park.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:21 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The problem with that is it makes the areas that are more accessible even more crowded. We've lost plenty of roads as it is, I'm not rooting for more to get wiped out. Also when roads get severely damaged often trails do too, and may not get repaired for years or ever.
Yup. All this does is concentrate the impacts in new places. The argument that difficultly protects a place has some merit, but the fact is that it didn't save the Enchantments prior to the restrictions, it hasn't saved anywhere else either.
I agree totally. I will also add that the idea that the people that get more than 5 miles from the trailhead are somehow more ethical in their backcountry behavior is largely wrong as well.
MtnGoat wrote:
One thing which IMO needs to be addressed is that other people's impacts are *your* impacts when your actions produce theirs. The only way to impact the social media firestorm of impact is to get folks to accept responsibility for their actions being amplified by their advertisement.
On the other side of the coin, people need to realize that their own repeated actions have impact. What is the difference between the accumulated impact of one person going to a pristine lake ten times and aggregate impact of ten people going to that same place once? Not much! If you go to places over and over and over, you are concentrating your own impact rather than dispersing it. If you are going to a particular place often enough to properly gauge the visitation pattern of use there, you are a large part of the problem. With greater regional population and greater participation in outdoor recreation in the backcountry, many places that formerly had little visitation are going to see an increase, some a significant increase. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."