Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 pm 
markweth wrote:
Rumi, with all due respect, this really comes down to simple math. Calling the impact of 15 visitor nights over 15 years "similar" to 23 visitor nights in a singled weekend is patently absurd.
Well with all due respect we have modified my original scenario significantly. So let me just return to that and debate that.
Quote:
What is the difference between the accumulated impact of one person going to a pristine lake ten times and aggregate impact of ten people going to that same place once? Not much!
I stand by this, not much difference. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 8:56 pm 
The time of the elves is over. When I first read that many years ago, I was bewildered and sad. Now I realize that story within the Lord of the Rings is a metaphor for so much in life and I refer to it often with acceptance and melancholy.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I stand by this, not much difference.
But you stood by the other scenario too, one that manifested per the OP (and worse per Gil). Now you don't stand by it. OK, so 1 person goes once a year for 10 years is the same impact as 10 other people only going once spread out over the same 10 years. Is there supposed to be some take away from this scenario? If 1 person tells 9 others to go to a fragile destination, none of them should go again for 10 years? Or something else?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I stand by this, not much difference.
But you stood by the other scenario too, one that manifested per the OP (and worse per Gil). Now you don't stand by it. OK, so 1 person goes once a year for 10 years is the same impact as 10 other people only going once spread out over the same 10 years. Is there supposed to be some take away from this scenario? If 1 person tells 9 others to go to a fragile destination, none of them should go again for 10 years? Or something else?
Every person is responsible for their own impact. That was plain in my original statement. Let me fetch it and place it here with an added comment.
RumiDude wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
One thing which IMO needs to be addressed is that other people's impacts are *your* impacts when your actions produce theirs. The only way to impact the social media firestorm of impact is to get folks to accept responsibility for their actions being amplified by their advertisement.
On the other side of the coin, people need to realize that their own repeated actions have impact. What is the difference between the accumulated impact of one person going to a pristine lake ten times and aggregate impact of ten people going to that same place once? Not much! If you go to places over and over and over, you are concentrating your own impact rather than dispersing it. If you are going to a particular place often enough to properly gauge the visitation pattern of use there, you are a large part of the problem.
So it is not just the Instagram crowd impacting these places, it is all the "old guard" that repeatedly returns to these places that also severely impacts them. That is the take away. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 2:10 am 
The old guard? I find it really hard to get that wound up over anyone that has visited multiple times if that's what you mean. They aren't creating the kind of impacts as those naively publicizing it. And for what benefit? Some fleeting personal gratification under the guise of "sharing" or "spreading impact"? Instagrammers? Don't have a problem if done responsibly. Posting an over-saturated image in BP mag with ID and enticing caption was completely unnecessary. I don't give a free pass to anyone here. There was quite the proliferation of "me too" reports on this site. Almost felt like some were happy to post a TR to gleefully mock the call for discretion. Here's my take of TML. I visited once, over a decade ago, hiking up from Square Lake. I chose not to highlight the lakes in my TR. Why? To not degrade the experience of future visitors. Had nothing to do with me wanting to save them for a future visit. The lakes are quite small and pictures make them look larger than life. Everyone takes the same picture of the upper lake to the point of it being somewhat cliche. Reminds me a bit of gnome tarn which IMO is one of the most over-rated spots in the enchantments. I felt compelled to move on after an hour or so. YMMV. Will I ever go to TML again? Perhaps, but there are so many other spots I'd be inclined to visit if my feet and body were to bless me with more hikes.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:41 am 
Tom wrote:
I find it really hard to get that wound up over anyone that has visited multiple times if that's what you mean. They aren't creating the kind of impacts as those naively publicizing it.
Well, every person who visits has an impact, and people that visit multiple times have multiple impacts on a place whether or not anyone gets wound up about it. And some people in this thread and other threads have indicated that they do just that, repeatedly visit particular areas. At the same time they seem unwilling to acknowledge their own impact while ranting about Instagram accounts, FB, and Backpacker Magazine. I personally think the effects of social media on backcountry visitation are exaggerated. YMMV The numbers of people recreating in the backcountry has steadily grown over the last fifty years due to several factors. Social media is just one factor and is relatively recent. The truth is we need to look holistically at how to preserve the quality of our backcountry. That will undoubtedly mean that every individual and user group needs to make changes in their backcountry practices. Here's my take on TML. I visited the first time maybe 1998 or 1999, not sure. I have never camped there because I don't think it is a good place to camp. I have stopped by a couple times since then. To me, TML is relatively easy access, obviously depending on the route selected. I simply followed the old boot path after examining my USGS quads. I like to dink and poke around and I usually find evidence of previous visitors when I do. I do not remember what I discovered at TML, but I have been amazed at the amount of stuff I have found at places in the ALW and GPW, some old and some newer. I have been all over the ALW solo and been surprised to see people in some places I visited. (Since moving to the Olympic Peninsula over a decade ago, I have had only a handful of trips into the Washington Cascades, almost all along the PCT.)
Tom wrote:
Will I ever go to TML again? Perhaps, but there are so many other spots I'd be inclined to visit if my feet and body were to bless me with more hikes.
+1 If I am going to go somewhere, it's going to be someplace new for me. I have no desire to ever go to TML again. Same with Jade and those lakes. I have fond memories and that's good enough for me. Rumi

markweth

markweth
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 12:02 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I personally think the effects of social media on backcountry visitation are exaggerated.
The facts simply don't agree with you in this regard. There are numerous articles compiled at the bottom of this webpage which document the correlation between increased social media coverage and increased visitation to specific areas: https://8thlnt.wordpress.com/ Exceprts like these are particularly compelling: Trying to protect California Redwoods from too much love "A few years ago, someone posted the GPS coordinates of the "Titans" on social media. Images online lured thousands of tourists to the area in search of the secret grove. They criss-crossed the park, creating unofficial trails (known as "social trails"). Calling it the "Grove of Titans" or the "Secret Grove" just enhanced the hunt. "Yeah, it piqued people's interest," Silver said. "People got intrigued – like, the big tree hunt, almost like trophy hunters." And like trophy hunters, people posed for pictures with the "Titans," sharing them online as proof of their conquest. Forest ecologist Lathrop Leonard pointed out the damage to trees caused by the visitors' foot traffic. Along with destroying native plants, the soil compaction caused by standing next to a redwood harms the roots." ( https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trying-to-protect-california-redwoods-from-too-much-love/ ) Is social media ruining Lake Tahoe's wilderness? “Social media has definitely increased the number of engaged visitors who share the amazing aspects of the parks and the natural and cultural resources they offer,” said Adeline Yee, information officer for California State Parks. “It has introduced outdoor recreational opportunities to an audience who may never have considered it previously. There will always be a few visitors who break the rules, often unintentionally, but the overwhelming majority of visitors research the rules beforehand and abide by them.” Lake Tahoe’s most well known route, the Tahoe Rim Trail, has seen a steady increase in use over the last decades — a fact that, in part, could be attributed to long-distance hiking’s mainstream moment back in 2012. In 2012, the book “Wild” was published. In it, author Cheryl Strayed tackles the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail alone to overcome a break-up and other personal issues. It was later made into a movie starring Reese Witherspoon. Before the book was published, roughly 300 attempted the trail each year. Now that number ranges between 2,000 and 3,000. Though Tahoe Rim Trail Association (TRTA) Executive Director Morgan Fessler Steel doesn’t know how much the so-called “Wild effect” influenced use of the Rim Trail, she does believe social media has played a role. “Having more ways to get the word out about the trails is definitely increasing use,” she said. ( https://www.sierrasun.com/news/is-social-media-ruining-lake-tahoes-wilderness/ )
RumiDude wrote:
The numbers of people recreating in the backcountry has steadily grown over the last fifty years due to several factors. Social media is just one factor and is relatively recent. The truth is we need to look holistically at how to preserve the quality of our backcountry. That will undoubtedly mean that every individual and user group needs to make changes in their backcountry practices.
I agree with you on all of this. However, I would add that social media is one -- if not the-- leading factors for impacting specific destinations in the backcountry -- lakes, arches, viewpoints, waterfalls, etc.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 pm 
^ We've had a number of different discussion threads here regarding the impact of social media on outdoor recreation. There are those who contend that social media does have a significant effect on user loads and detrimental impacts. On the other side are those who attempt to perpetuate the myth that it's simply a matter of an increased population and those pointing out social media as a primary cause are just luddites. Until someone is able to actually quantify the net effect of social media on outdoor recreation these two diametrically opposed viewpoints will continue to exist. Considering that it would be virtually impossible to conduct any sort of "control group study" on the issue, those who hang on to the belief that social media is not responsible for the increase in user loads; the increase in detrimental impacts; the increase in vandalism (Casey Nocket, anyone?); and the increase in outrageous exhibitionism (see "Logan Paul YouTube") would do well to stop living in a state of denial and realize that social media is a significant factor in the damage and increased numbers of users we are seeing in the outdoors over the last several years. I'm sorry to hear that some idiot thought it appropriate to post the location of the "titan grove" at Redwood NP. I suppose he posted the GPS coordinates as well? There's a damn good reason that Olympic National Park ceased advertising its world-record trees decades ago: they saw the handwriting on the wall and simply stopped publishing their locations and removing notations about "record tree" from their visitor maps. I don't have the answer. I don't know what the solution is. Other than this website, I don't use any "social media" so I don't know how Instagram, Facebook, or any of the others work. Somebody who's a bit more savvy with the medium needs to start putting the word out. Clearly. Succinctly. Fearlessly.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 1:37 pm 
I think the other solution is to CTFD and accept that idea that "sekret" locations are possible within a half day drive of a major city is a delusion. Herd mentality is part of the landscape near a city, I was impressed on a recent visit to another formally "sekret" location and observed maybe 20 tents erected in a small area , often within 5 feet of the shore of the "sekret" lake. I walked just a little farther and didn't see anyone else while I was camped and had a much better view than the herd clustered around the lake.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 pm 
Ski wrote:
Considering that it would be virtually impossible to conduct any sort of "control group study" on the issue. . . .
Not scientific, but I took an informal poll when we last visited Marmot/Jade/Dip Top Gap in August 2016 soon after publication of the BP mag article. We were unaware of the article until a departing hiker warned as we neared the Marmot outlet stream. When we encountered the sh## show (>20 tents at Marmot), I decided to conduct an informal survey. I asked each party we encountered (n = est. 15) how they had learned of the area. All but one party (plus our party) cited the BP article as their source. (The survey continued to the next morning as we hiked past Jade to Dip Top Gap.) We found a substandard camp, fished that evening and caught some nice cutts. We saw no other parties fishing. (We surmised that the BP article failed to mention that Marmot Lake is stocked with several thousand cutthroat trout every few years. As I fried a couple cutts for dinner, a young BP mag reader, clad in brand spanking new REI gear, approached and asked if he could take a photograph of the dinner preparation, exclaiming, "Wow, catching and cooking fish for dinner. True wild survival, man!" I'm not kidding. On our drive home, a young couple heading in waved us down and asked, "Is the way to Mar-mooot Lake?" We affirmed that it was, offered the correct pronunciation and informed that the lake was named for the Hoary Marmot (HOR-e MAR-mutt), a large rodent indigenous to the area. I'm not kidding. Oh, BTW, the couple confirmed that they learned of the hike from the BP mag article. Final informal survey results: n = est. 16 parties, 14 of which were there because they read about it in BP magazine. Per Tom's observation, some sort of multiplier effect can be assigned.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:16 pm 
We first visited Marmot back in the early 80’s from one of the 100 hikes series. Then it was quite crowded with the Calvary as per Harvey Manings description. So we went up to No Name/Jade impassable to horses. There were no fire rings in the area then and no established campsites. Going to Peasoup the glacier made icebergs in the lake and it really looked like pea soup still have sexy pix tongue.gif . Went back every year for years, when horses were banned Marmot was nicer. Last few years it has gotten more crowded now 4-5 established camps at Jate even a couple at No Name. Glacier has retreated well above Peasope which is now blue, so it goes. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:47 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
"Not scientific, but..."
I think that's about as scientific as you're going to get: going out and asking people "Where did you learn about this place?" I ask that question of people all the time on my favorite trail. Usually they tell me it was from the web. Unless they volunteer the information, I don't pursue the line of questioning farther than that. Are you suggesting that the Backpacker Magazine is the bigger driver of increased visitation to that particular spot? (And you do understand, of course, that I don't have even a clue where this "TML" place is, right?) Pronunciations of place names is always a challenge for newcomers. On a recent trip a lady standing next to me waiting in line for a coffee asked "Is this KAL-a-lock?" The guy working at the counter said "No, it's KLAY-lock." lol.gif I thought it was pretty funny that even the hired help didn't know that it's "ka-LAY-lock".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 6:03 pm 
Ski wrote:
Are you suggesting that the Backpacker Magazine is the bigger driver of increased visitation to that particular spot?
It was that weekend -- by a factor of 8

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 pm 
markweth wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I personally think the effects of social media on backcountry visitation are exaggerated.
The facts simply don't agree with you in this regard. There are numerous articles compiled at the bottom of this webpage which document the correlation
Facts? To borrow a phrase from Inigo Montoya, "I don't think it means what you think it means." I briefly glanced at all those links and none of them offer facts. Instead they are blog pieces, articles, and interviews filled with anecdote and opinion. I might have missed it but I don't think any of them even cited a study. As far as "correlation" goes, it must be noted that "correlation does not equal causation". And again, they don't even properly document correlation, just anecdotes and opinion about what they think is correlation. As Ski has observed, documenting things like this are difficult. I am not aware of any studies that quantify any correlation, let alone causation.
markweth wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
The numbers of people recreating in the backcountry has steadily grown over the last fifty years due to several factors. Social media is just one factor and is relatively recent. The truth is we need to look holistically at how to preserve the quality of our backcountry. That will undoubtedly mean that every individual and user group needs to make changes in their backcountry practices.
I agree with you on all of this. However, I would add that social media is one -- if not the-- leading factors for impacting specific destinations in the backcountry -- lakes, arches, viewpoints, waterfalls, etc.
I remain skeptical of the size of the impact of social media on the backcountry. I don't doubt it plays a role, but the size of that role is greatly exaggerated in my opinion. Long before the internet, places "went viral". Looking at photos of the High Divide and Seven Lakes Basin from back in the 1960's and 1970s, it sometimes looked like a refugee camp up there. The same could be said about many places going back many decades. Rumi

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:32 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
"correlation does not equal causation"
True. That said, however, you've got to stop and think about all the different threads here over the course of the last few years where this issue has been discussed. Taking them all together, that's a whole lot of correlation. You and I and Randy and Steve are all old enough to remember "good old days" and how things looked then. We also can remember that the whole "LNT" thing was just coming into being as we were coming of age. Things are certainly better than they were - we're not digging holes next to the river and burying burned empty cans. But at best, we only had 35mm film cameras then. And no internet. And (locally) only "Signpost" as a venue to show off our own adventures. Today you've got all kinds of different ways to instantly say to the whole world "Look at me!" Let me posit that the "look at me!" thing, which seems to be a relatively recent thing, has snowballed as a result of the ability to so easily broadcast one's own message (or selfie.) I get the skepticism from you and Randy, because you're correct, as I noted above: there's no way to quantify the effect of social media (or Backpacker Magazine, or WTA or nwhikers trip reports, for that matter.) It would be interesting to see the results of a more comprehensive examination of the larger picture - as you noted, we see only little snippets of anecdotal stuff about one little area at a time. I'll contend, however, that I think you're underestimating the overall effect of the whole Instagram/Facebook/YouTube thing.