Forum Index > Trail Talk > Air stagnation in the mountains this weekend? Where to go?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:41 am 
I am looking for a hike out of the air stagnation zone for tomorrow. When I look at some places in the Central Cascades (like Lake Ingalls) I see this weather and this warning. So I think the Teanaways, Lake Wenatchee and Icicle Canyon area are affected. But some places further north seem to be okay. Does anyone have a link to a good map showing where this particular zone is? I haven't been able to hike all season and tomorrow is my big opportunity to see some of the color out there. I guess I will have do drive as far north as the North Cascades. Suggestions or PM would be appreciated. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 pm 
Go to the wet side of the cascades....clean air So the overnight temp drops to 47 degrees, and after a summer of smoke, smoke and more wood smoke people decide to start burning wood and polluting the air with....wood smoke. Why is every other house spewing wood smoke OK but when nature fills the air with wood smoke its catastrophic? It reeks of smoke much worse than it did this summer in my neighborhood right now. I have not even been tempted to turn on any heat but my neighbors are spewing smoke like its mid winter. What is the fascination with burning $#!+?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm 
FWIW: With air stagnation, and inversion, you can usually climb right out of the smoky layer which is generally confined to low lying areas and down in the valleys. I am no expert, so I would not hazard a guess how high you'll need to go to escape this weekend. Coldrain, I am with you! And most of those wood stove users don't know how to build a good, hot, smoke free, fire in those damn things.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 pm 
Schenk wrote:
FWIW: With air stagnation, and inversion, you can usually climb right out of the smoky layer which is generally confined to low lying areas and down in the valleys.
Thanks. So then a hike up Carne Mountain or similar would put me above the smoky layer. I was thinking it would be a hazy sky for views--similar to fire season. But if it's a lower layer, I should be able to get above it. Good to know. ~z

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 pm 
Zephyr, I did edit my post. I can't say for certain how high you would need to go, but even over here in Wood Stove Country 4000-5000' usually does it. There are some folks on this forum well versed in all things meteorological, and they may have a better answer there.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:08 pm 
Yup, it's kinda looking like a good day last August here. Besides wood stoves, you can burn outdoor stuff. I've done the latter but I tend to wait for a rainy day. I don't think many people have newer woodstoves here, which only spew visible smoke during the "getting it started" part. It did seem clearer up at Loup Loup Pass, so I'm guessing it is like a winter inversion. I went for a bike ride today up there. Added later: The air cleared up here this afternoon. There are a few clouds in the sky so it must be moving.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 am 
There were two separate problems. The mountains were clear Wednesday/Thursday but by Friday afternoon smoke could be seen coming into the area with the position of an upper ridge over Washington. This was manifested as a sometimes thick haze which extended into mid elevations and peak top elevations. The high haze from smoke showed up on the HRRR smoke vertically integrated smoke column model as coming from SW Oregon and North Central Oregon. Checking Inciweb on Saturday, the Klondike fire, which is huge west of Rogue River, grew 5000 acres in just one day on Friday to reach 172,000 acres. There are a couple of other fires also in that part of Oregon. The haze was still a detriment, at least to photography, yesterday near Mt. Baker. I did not take a camera. Locally, there was also an inversion at low elevations that trapped activity-caused smog to become entrenched. With the weather system today (Tuesday) both of these problems will go away but will be replaced by mostly cloudy skies and rain on some days.....