Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road status for mt daniel (fs 4330)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm 
Im worried about the ford at scatter creek, i know the water is probably low. However my car is low clearance, just wondering if any of yall have any intel. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers to all!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 pm 
There probably isn't any water there now.
WRX-Scattercreek2 from Will Baker on Vimeo.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:48 am 
Thanks guys appreciate it! Thats funny bedivere i gotta wrx too!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 2:44 pm 
Sometimes it's not just about the level of the water but also the amount of gravel covering the concrete pad. I've made it through there in a low-clearence vehicle but I almost didn't make it back out after my trip. My wheels were just spinning around on the wet rocks.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 pm 
IMO, you have to be careful about this ford until about the end of July if you're going to do that route with low clearance ride. If there is still decent snowpack up above, the conditions if you're arriving in the morning can be *very* different in the evening with that day's melt making it down to the ford. I've seen it change by 6" or more morning to evening. One time it was easy on the way in to a day trip, barely making it the hubs on my 4runner, and coming back out it was high enough to cover far more of the concrete pad from side to side, and well over my hubs to nearly the door sill. Late season probly only a rain storm will do this.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
iron

iron
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 1:29 pm 
sure would be an easy bridge to install... it's not like the road washes out much here, right? i don't recall seeing it in the past 10 years.

Sammy

Sammy
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm 
Do the giant mud pits still form after the creek crossing in late fall? Those things would swallow cars whole! Good times haha

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm 
The foot bridge that crosses the river from the Mt Daniel trailhead was crushed by snow a decade or so ago -- only a few years after it was installed. Replacing the Scatter Creek ford with a bridge up to the snow load and the spring floods would cost millions. The only way that's going to happen is if a miner finds some previously undiscovered valuable ore and wants an all weather road. I'll take the crummy road thanks.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm 
Yup. I'd rather see the money spent on brushing and logging out trails

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
christensent

christensent
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 8:22 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Replacing the Scatter Creek ford with a bridge up to the snow load and the spring floods would cost millions.
I don't know about that... maybe to the standards the state would require on an official road of the status of that road. Jeep trails have lots of bridges made of wood by enthusiasts in probably a few weekends that hold up for years/decades including through deep winter snowpacks. It doesn't take that much to make a platform that'll hold a car plus some snow. I'll bet a few skilled people with a thousand dollars of lumber, some logs, and some power tools could build a bridge in one weekend over scatter creek that'd last at least 5 years. Obviously the forest service would never condone of that form of construction on a dominant forest road.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am 
Jeep drivers got no problem with the Scatter creek ford. It's Prius/Civic/low clearance vehicles that would benefit and then only for a short period during spring run off.