Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dry Diggins Lookout and Ridge (Seven Devils Mtns, Id) Oct 16-18, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:26 pm 
Our original plans were to do a loop into Sheep Lake via the established trail and then hike down the "goat trail" to return to Windy Saddle Trailhead. Upon arriving we could see a good deal of snow on the route so after a brief scouting mission we decided on an in and out hike to Dry Diggins Lookout and vicinity. Dry Diggins looks down on The Snake River in Hells Canyon some 6500' below and is 900' higher than than Hat Point directly across on the Oregon side, so I was excited to see this place for the first time. We drove to Windy Saddle at 7600' and saw many hunters out and about on the 18-mile road up from Riggins. Fortunately, the trail was already broken by horses so the hiking was easy. On the north aspects there was up to two feet of snow but it was quickly melting in sun exposed areas.
Windy Saddle, a major trailhead for Hells Canyon Wilderness.
Windy Saddle, a major trailhead for Hells Canyon Wilderness.
Some significant snow on northern aspects of the trail.
Some significant snow on northern aspects of the trail.
Heaven's Gate lookout.
Heaven's Gate lookout.
On western aspects much of the recent snow had melted.
On western aspects much of the recent snow had melted.
Approaching Devil's Tooth.
Approaching Devil's Tooth.
Devil's Tooth.
Devil's Tooth.
Trail crossing of the West Fork of Sheep Ck.
Trail crossing of the West Fork of Sheep Ck.
We made camp in a flat area near Lilly Pad Lake at 7300' and settled in for the night. We never did see the lake and melted snow for water.
An unnamed 8740' peak
An unnamed 8740' peak
Evening view at our campsite near Lilly Pad Lake.
Evening view at our campsite near Lilly Pad Lake.
In the morning we started off for Dry Diggins LO some three miles away. We took the longer route that nearly goes over the top of Point 8111 to get there. I hiked the short distance from the trail in knee-deep snow to reach the summit.
Point 8111.
Point 8111.
Looking across Hells Canyon from Point 8111 summit.
Looking across Hells Canyon from Point 8111 summit.
The Wallowas.
The Wallowas.
Dry Diggins Lookout from Point 8111.
Dry Diggins Lookout from Point 8111.
From there it is a 600' drop to the saddle above Bernard Lakes and a 280' climb up to the lookout.
Dry Diggins Lookout.
Dry Diggins Lookout.
Snake River.
Snake River.
Dry Diggins Lookout. 7860.'
Dry Diggins Lookout. 7860.'
The lookout is in a great position but unfortunately is abandoned and suffering from lack of maintenance. Water is pouring in and will eventually destroy the interior.
Not too dry inside. Unfortunately the roof needs repair or this structure won't last much longer.
Not too dry inside. Unfortunately the roof needs repair or this structure won't last much longer.
Cool old backpack with a water tank attached.
Cool old backpack with a water tank attached.
View of the Seven Devils Range from the lookout.
View of the Seven Devils Range from the lookout.
The Snake River 6500' below.
The Snake River 6500' below.
The western rim of Hell's Canyon from Dry Diggins.
The western rim of Hell's Canyon from Dry Diggins.
Close up of the Snake River.
Close up of the Snake River.
The loo.
The loo.
On the way back we took the shorter route that passes Bernard Lakes.
One of the Bernard Lakes.
One of the Bernard Lakes.
The following morning we packed up and left our gear beside the trail to explore a bit on Dry Diggins Ridge. The ridge runs parallel to the lookout but is a separate area altogether. We enjoyed the views over to Point 8111 and Dry Diggins Lookout where we had hiked the day before.
Approaching the highpoint of Dry Diggins Ridge, 7660.'
Approaching the highpoint of Dry Diggins Ridge, 7660.'
What I thought was the highpoint but 3' lower.
What I thought was the highpoint but 3' lower.
Dry Diggins Lookout from Dry Diggins Ridge.
Dry Diggins Lookout from Dry Diggins Ridge.
8111 and Dry Diggins Lookout.
8111 and Dry Diggins Lookout.
Rufus and the lower northern summit of Dry Diggins Ridge.
Rufus and the lower northern summit of Dry Diggins Ridge.
On Dry Diggins Ridge.
On Dry Diggins Ridge.
Though we were hoping to climb He Devil conditions were not favorable with all the snow so we were content to explore some lower areas that we might not visit in summer. Next year I plan to hike the shortcut up and visit those higher places in The Seven Devils.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:54 pm 
up.gif Cool Rich! I made it into that area a number of years ago. Didn't go to Dry Diggins but did go to Sheep and other lakes, did a little peak bagging (Baal, She Devil, He Devil). I have fond memories of it. Wasn't snow on the ground, it was midsummer. I remember the temperature dropped 20-30 degrees from Riggins to the trailhead, a welcome relief from mid 90's or so heat in the valley. There were a whole bunch of rafters floating by on whatever fork of the Salmon that is down in Riggins.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:37 pm 
Cool! I like the looks of the place with fresh snow. Interesting that you couldn't find/see Lily Pad Lake. It was shallow and uninviting when I saw it, but that was in the mid-July timeframe. I wonder if it dries up later in the season. Sad to see the lookout deteriorating, but at least the view is intact!

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 am 
Sounds like a great trip! I am planning to climb He Devil and She Devil next year; perhaps we can join up.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
RichP

RichP
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am 
Redwic wrote:
I am planning to climb He Devil and She Devil next year; perhaps we can join up.
That would be fun, Redwic. PM me when you firm up plans.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
Terrific, Rich!
RichP wrote:
Dry Diggins Lookout.
Dry Diggins Lookout.
Looks like a fire got alarmingly close to the lookout. Do you know if it was staffed during whatever year the fire was?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:35 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Terrific, Rich!
RichP wrote:
Dry Diggins Lookout.
Dry Diggins Lookout.
Looks like a fire got alarmingly close to the lookout. Do you know if it was staffed during whatever year the fire was?
The caltopo.com fire history overlay doesn't show anything right there at the lookout. Whatever killed those trees, though, apparently did it before 2010:
Dry Diggins LO, July 13, 2010 Full size

RichP

RichP
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm 
This article says there were fires close to Dry Diggins in 2017. And yes, there have been a series of fires in recent years throughout this entire area. I read that the lookout ceased being active in 1989. It's a spectacular location and I hope that the roof gets fixed because it's in otherwise pretty good shape.
Quote:
The Dry Diggins Fire started Aug. 8 and stayed under 20 acres for two weeks, Goodrich said. Warm weather and storm fronts at the end of the month kicked it up to 200 acres. As of Tuesday, the fire had burned 345 acres.
https://www.lagrandeobserver.com/news/local/5593885-153/3-fires-burning-in-hells-canyon

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:10 pm 
Looks like some outstanding views from the Idaho side there. How long a drive to the trailhead from your new residence? cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
RichP

RichP
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:13 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
How long a drive to the trailhead from your new residence?
About 3 hours. Almost like Seattle to The Chiwawa or The Entiat. The road up from Riggins is better though. It's possible to drive to 8200' just below Heaven's Gate Lookout. http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/eyesoftheforest/heavensgatelookout.cfm

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:57 pm 
RichP wrote:
This article says there were fires close to Dry Diggins in 2017. And yes, there have been a series of fires in recent years throughout this entire area. I read that the lookout ceased being active in 1989. It's a spectacular location and I hope that the roof gets fixed because it's in otherwise pretty good shape.
Quote:
The Dry Diggins Fire started Aug. 8 and stayed under 20 acres for two weeks, Goodrich said. Warm weather and storm fronts at the end of the month kicked it up to 200 acres. As of Tuesday, the fire had burned 345 acres.
https://www.lagrandeobserver.com/news/local/5593885-153/3-fires-burning-in-hells-canyon
According to caltopo, the 2017 Dry Diggins fire wasn't that close to the lookout. Whether or not that's right, your photo doesn't show the lookout point itself to have any new burn since 2010. Even back then, though, a LOT of the Seven Devils had burned fairly recently. It's a dry prickly place.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 pm 
Thanks texasbb. We walked through a part of that 2017 burn below Bernard Lakes and it indeed looked fresh.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:02 pm 
That's a fun area. I had not heard of Dry Diggins. Thanks for the report and photos.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am 
It is a shame the lookout is leaking. Hopefully someone will step up and do the needed maintenance before too much more damage occurs. Was the "WELCOME TO DRY DIGGINS LOOKOUT" informational sheet still there? It contained a bit of the history of the lookout and area and included tidbits about the flora, fauna, and geology. A few excerpts: "The original lookout was an observation point approximately one mile southeast of the present lookout located on the Three Creeks Point. In 1932 a 12 x 16 frame cabin was constructed near the present cabin, materials for this cabin was packed in from Salmon River on mules. The present tower was constructed by the Cedar Flats Corps in 1968 and finished by Forest Service personnel in 1969. Dry Diggins, elevation 7,900 feet, overlooks Hells Canyon whose valley floor is 1,200 feet, a drop of 6,700 feet in less than two miles horizontally. ... East from this point is Dry Diggins Ridge, the flat plateau some 2 miles distance. Early prospectors panned for gold along this ridge but shortage of water impaired operations; consequently, the name "Dry Diggins" was spawned. ... We hope this information has made your visit a little more pleasant and that you will feel free to stop in at the Riggins Ranger Station for any other information you might desire. We know you are careful with fire and conscious of the consequences of wildfire upon the land. We also know you are not the type who mutilate trees, campgrounds, disturb soil unnecessarily, leave litter along our trails because you are concerned about our nature resources and admire our great outdoors as much as we do or you wouldn't be here at Dry Diggins Lookout reading this. We are very happy to have you as our guest."

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:46 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
It is a shame the lookout is leaking. Hopefully someone will step up and do the needed maintenance before too much more damage occurs. Was the "WELCOME TO DRY DIGGINS LOOKOUT" informational sheet still there? It contained a bit of the history of the lookout and area and included tidbits about the flora, fauna, and geology.
This is one of the sturdiest lookout structures I have ever seen. Built with a cement foundation and cinder blocks. My buddy commented that the FS will probably burn it down due to liability if water damage is not controlled soon. The info sheet is still there but is also getting wet along with everything else. frown.gif