Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road trails (or wide trails)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:34 pm 
Rattlesnake Mountain (North Bend) from the Exit 27 side has a road that goes up to the radio towers. It's used for maintenance (and probably logging as well), so you may encounter the occasional vehicle, but it's gated to keep out the general public. Mountain bike and hiking trails cross the road in some places. There are also logging roads that generally head to the west side of the mountain. Some may be overgrown, but others should still be clear. The last time I went up to Stan's Overlook, the road provided better views than the trail and the overlook because of more recent logging near the road.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 1:23 pm 
Wallace Falls SP has a network of trails, some of which is roadbed. The main trail that stays near the river and the various falls is narrower, but if you stay higher at the first junction I think that might meet the criteria the OP is looking for.

JimK

JimK
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 pm 
Adding to Windstorm's idea, for a short drive from Seattle and near total solitude any time try the Highway 18 side of Rattlesnake Mt. The paved road is gated at the start and one mile in is a big power substation. The gate there is always locked. Gravel starts and goes on for many miles. It's about 16.5 miles RT to West Rattlesnake Summit. Other roads go off the main one. It's an active logging road though I've never seen a logging truck on my weekend visits. Seeing a couple mountain bikers in a full day would be crowded. Your dog can relax here. I have a trip report with photos from last November here: Rattlesnake Mt.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm 
Sure, there's a map for that. Closed USFS roads are orange. Private roads (which are often gated) are gray. Toggle this layer on/off to see them better. Need help? Please click "Map tips" in upper left corner. You will need to use a desktop or laptop computer. Sometime in next few days I will implement a touch-friendly interface. Open the map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.828576,-121.611668&zoom=12&basemap=USA_basemap&overlay=Private_road,Motor_road_closed&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/recreation/USFS_recreation.txt

RodF

RodF
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 2:32 pm 
off-topic history trivia note:
Pyrites wrote:
E Fk Quinault between Graves Ck Campground and Pony Bridge. In the ‘70’s it used to be easy to find the large spruce grove stumps. On the S side of trail especially, just at and before high point of that section. Cut to provide spruce for fighter aircraft to fight Kaiser Wilhelm II.
That couldn't have been cut during WWI. The primitive wagon road to homesteads then ended 7 miles downriver, near the confluence of the North and East Forks of the Quinault River. The road wasn't extended to Graves Creek until 1929 or '30, wasn't extended past Graves Creek until 1934 or '35. (I suspect that grove may have been cleared for a planned trailhead parking area in the mid-'50s? This site, about a mile above Graves Creek, is shown as the planned trailhead in the Park's first "Master Plan" map of 1954. The trailhead was located that site after the last mile of road (to the picnic table at the top of the hill) was decommissioned in the mid-1960s; see R L Wood, "Trail Country" (1968) p. 213. The trailhead was moved back another mile to its current location when the old timber road bridge over Graves Creek reached the end of its service life and was replaced with the current steel trail bridge in the late 1970s.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 8:41 am 
In re wide, but not old road, trails: Just about every ADA compliant trail fits the bill.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am 
Most of the trails in the Issaquah Alps are old roads or railroad grades. Same with trails in the Chuckanuts.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 12:00 pm 
I should point out that the OP specifically talks about taking a dog, so anything in a National Park is a no go for this thread.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I know about the NP restrictions, so that's okay. I got the book in the mail and it's interesting. Ira Spring wrote it for those times "when 30 cars are at the Skyline Divide trailhead." Boy that seems quaint to think that we once thought 30 cars was crazy. I mean, it is, but we've all seen so much worse now.